safety in nuevo progresso, Tamps

katattx
I'm a TX resident that used to travel to the border to get dental work done and buy prescriptions (and some fake purses!). My family has not traveled to Nuevo Progresso in over a year due to the violence. Even though our dentist is 2.5 blocks from the international bridge, dad still feels it is not worth the risk. I however am developing cavities! There seem to be some well informed people here, so my question is this: Is it safe to go get dental work done? If so, advice on when to go would be helpful. We generally park on the US side and walk across, dressed shabby and carrying minimal cash. I speak basic gringo tex-mex, but otherwise we are ery much the American shoppers!

Re: safety in nuevo progresso, Tamps

El Regio
My parents just got back from Nuevo Progresso about a week ago, they went to see the dentist there. They said it was really safe and that the military has a heavy presence there. However you never know when and where things can happen.
I say if you go, just go in the early morning and get out as soon as possible.

Re: safety in nuevo progresso, Tamps

hermano_chilfado
El Regio is correct.

i Live in Mcallen, about 20 minutes from Nuevo Progesso. my sister and brother-in-law went a few weeks ago and it was pretty tranquil. they did mention the army having a big presence there. my brother's girlfriend goes often with her family for doctor visits and such without any problems, but they do not stay for very long. just quick trips here and there on the weekends.

hope this helps.

-HC