"El Marro" and the Cartel de Santa Rosa de Lima (Guanajuato)

"El Marro" and the Cartel de Santa Rosa de Lima (Guanajuato)

Itzli
Unlike many parts of Mexico, the southern part of the state of Guanajuato has, for the most part, escaped cartel violence, with the exception of occasional brief flareups that were attributed to Los Zetas, La Familia Michoacana, and Los Caballeros Templarios.  Nevertheless, over the years I have heard first and second hand accounts of unreported cartel activity.  In recent months something changed, killings have become all too common in the municipalities of Celaya, Apaseo el Grande, Apaseo el Alto, and Comonfort, and are being widely reported.

Until very recently I had no idea what was going on until a second hand source of information told me enough information that I was able to connect the dots online: "El Marro", the leader of the so called Cartel de Santa Rosa de Lima.

According to online sources, Jose Antonio Yépez Ortiz, alias "El Marro", belongs to a criminal group from Santa Rosa de Lima, Guanajuato and is either its leader, or possibly head of sicarios.  State authorities state he leads a group dedicated to fuel thefts (last month they named him as their number one objective out of twenty individuals), but online sources say he is involved in killings, kidnappings, extortion, and drug sales as well.  His closest associates are Fabian Lara Belman, alias "La Vieja", Noe Lara Belman, alias "El Puma", and Jose Mario Lara Mendoza, alias "El Magia".

Re: "El Marro" and the Cartel de Santa Rosa de Lima (Guanajuato)

Itzli
On Sunday, August 13, a series of burnt vehicles and shootouts occurred in Celaya, Guanajuato.  In its wake, a banner was hung on a pedestrian bride on López Mateos boulevard (approximately 6x15 feet) near the corner of Ignacio Allende street.

"Greetings to the entire population of Celaya GTO. (note: abbreviation of Guanajuato) and Los
Apaseos (note: a reference to two neighboring cities/municipalities, Apaseo el Alto and Apase el Grande) on the part of your friends from the Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generacion and our high commander Señor Mencho.  Men, at this moment we advise that we have arrived, that we are established and we will not stop until we end specifically with El Marro and collaborators responsible for the death of the director of the Mando Unico and so many innocent deaths as well as extortion and abuse of the population.  Our war is not with innocent people nor honest workers much less with authorities as long as they do not interfere with our work; however, to all who give support to another cartel be it whatever authority abstain to the consequences.  Sincerely, C.J.N.G. Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generaction Celaya Guanajuato branch"