"El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

"El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

tuSancho
"El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

Fuente: http://zetatijuana.com/2016/03/02/el-chapo-solicito-su-extradicion-inmediata-a-los-estados-unidos-confirma-abogado/

Re: "El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

Cuidado
wow. Crazy how much has changed in such a short time.  Just months ago Chapo ran Altiplano and simply left. Now he cant even get a few hours sleep? Is this all legit or does Chapo maybe fear for his life for some reason and is chomping at the bit to get out of Mexico?

Re: "El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

elgordo
Ok "IF" Mexico Goverment officials did help him in any form in previous years, I think it's time to start worrying it coming to light.  Cuz we have seen in the past you come with good stuff the U.S will cut some good ass deals. Like Colombian who helped take down Noriega he vanished from the system (witness protection) or of recent maybe of the zetas mamitaz of being in mexico up to the same thing. So we going to have to wait and see

Emma Coronel says that extradition is not a victory

Chava
After Jose Refugio Rodriguez Nunez, lawyer of Joaquin "El Chapo " Guzman Loera, said he seeks his extradition, the couple denied that this is a victory for the Mexican government.

"I do not see it as a victory, they want to kill him before he says all he knows," said Emma Coronel, who revealed that his family has American nationality.

"I hope the bottle they are going to open does not hurt them," she lamented . However, the wife(?) of the Sinaloa cartel leader said he has not been informed about the extradition.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/nacion/seguridad/2016/03/2/extradicion-de-el-chapo-no-es-una-victoria-emma-coronel

Re: "El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

jlopez
I think this is his best option. As I stated in an earlier post, he is in a very vulnerable position. His usefulness is about gone, but he represents a continuing risk to the government and his associates. Once his usefulness is over, there's no reason for the government to keep him alive and every reason to kill him or make him disappear. By asking for extradition, he limits the  government's choices and focuses U.S. attention on him. This may keep him alive.

Re: "El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

He's looking to make a deal.....The US may not be willing make, I think they'd take the death penalty or life, off the table, and settle on a 35 year sentence, at a minimum.

Re: "El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

Hola

When they said the U.S. attorney was consulting with them since his recapture I sort of thought they were attempting a deal for allowing extradition.  Similar to Edgar.

Mochomo would have been in great shape cooking a nice deal for himself as a cooperative witness against  Chapo, but the stunning result was he pleaded guilty without any deal whatsoever.

Re: Emma Coronel says that extradition is not a victory

See, she knows much more than what she was letting on from the interview she did!

Re: "El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

jlopez
It's beginning to look like Mochomo's guilty plea was negotiated with Chapo rather than with the U.S. Attorney, doesn't it? Without the risk of Mochomo's testimony being used against him, Chapo's future looks brighter in any plea negotiation. Chapo needs to make sure that his plea agreement covers the conditions of his extradition and also resolves all the other charges pending against him in several states. If he can negotiate that, he will not have any priors when he is sentenced, since he has not been convicted of anything in the U.S, nor been convicted of anything serious in Mexico. The court that sentences him must look at his criminal history (prior convictions) and cannot consider any evidence the U.S. would have introduced at trial, including any witness's testimony. So, by agreeing to extradition at this point, Chapo places himself in an ideal position to negotiate a good plea agreement.

From the U.S. prosecution's point of view, they are probably more interested in using Chapo as a source of information than in simply getting another drug conviction. They'll agree to anything that guarantees Chapo will be delivered into their custody alive and willing to cooperate.

Re: Emma Coronel says that extradition is not a victory

Chava
Exactly. What does she 'think' he knows if he wasn't doing the things she said he wasn't doing.

Lol, did that even make sense?

Re: Emma Coronel says that extradition is not a victory

Chava

Re: "El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

couldn't the US once again try and persuade Mochomo to testify against Chapo? and not go for a chapo deal? Is it too late?  He did not want to rat anyone out, none of the BL brothers ever have.  and They were raised with chapo.

So are you saying Chapo could get 10 Yrs if he cooperates?  they already have recordings of him, and tons of testimony  from the twins and other heavy hitters.  "Another drug conviction" imo this is not.  it is "The drug conviction"  and would be a good thing.

depending on what birth date is real he is either 58 or 61

Re: "El Chapo" applied for "immediate" extradition to the United States, confirms lawyer

jlopez
It's too late for many reasons. Mochomo has already entered a guilty plea and his case is now in the hands of the judge. From all the articles I have read on the matter, I don't think the parties negotiated a plea agreement. Note that all the articles state that the Mochomo prosecutors are now telling anybody who'll listen that Mochomo was involved in large scale smuggling, murder, torture, kidnapping, etc., etc.  The problem for the prosecutors is that their statements about Mochomo's alleged criminal activities are no longer relevant to anything since Mochomo has pleaded guilty to specific crimes that do not involve these criminal acts. I think the prosecution was counting on its witnesses to introduce these criminal activities into the trial record, hoping to influence the jury into coming down with a heavy sentence. If the case against Mochomo looked bad enough, that is, if they were able to get highly prejudicial evidence into the record for the jury's consideration, then they could offer Mochomo a deal on sentencing and negotiate a plea agreement at the last minute. But Mochomo got ahead of them, it seems to me, by pleading guilty to the conspiracy charges in the indictment. The prosecution cannot prevent anybody from pleading guilty, no matter how badly the prosecution wanted a trial.

And, for all I know, Mochomo may be in the same situation as Chapo Guzman: no convictions in Mexico or in the U.S. that would lead the court to impose a heavy sentence. Remember, the judge is neutral-- this is not Mexico, after all-- and the judge expects the prosecution to do its job, period. This is the same judge that earlier in the proceedings warned the lawyers not to waste the court's time with plea agreements ("C" plea agreements) that would limit its discretion. In short, the judge will not help the prosecution or the defense.

Since there will be no Mochomo trial and there is no evidence of a Mochomo plea agreement, then there is virtually no risk that Mochomo will testify against Chapo. As I stated earlier, Chapo has no criminal convictions in the U.S. and relatively trivial convictions in Mexico. So conditions are ideal for Chapo to plead guilty right now. Unless I am missing something, Chapo would likely be sentenced as a first time offender if he were to enter a plea right now. Ironically, it seems that it is in both Chapo's and U.S. prosecutors' interest to negotiate an agreement that will resolve both the extradition and a guilty plea as rapidly as possible. Neither of them can or should trust the Mexican government.

So, to answer your questions (pardon the lengthy explanations), the U.S. cannot force Mochomo to testify against Chapo and I doubt they could persuade him. And even if they were to persuade him, Chapo is still in a Mexican prison and nothing can happen until he's safely in the U.S., anyway. If I were Chapo's lawyer, I would advise him to agree to extradition contingent on a satisfactory plea agreement that resolves all cases pending against him in the U.S. If Chapo does this, it would not surprise me if he receives a relatively light sentence. After all, the prosecution's first priority is to get his cooperation in the U.S.

What I personally find very interesting is the Mexican government's reaction to Chapo's negotiations with the U.S. authorities. Several sources are reporting that Chapo's sister is claiming that the Mexican government violated a long-standing agreement between the government and Chapo, and that his last escape was part of the deal. I am not at all surprised by her statements. In my opinion, this explains Chapo's efforts to tell the world about his plans for extradition and cooperation with the U.S. authorities. He has put the Mexican government is a difficult situation. By focusing all attention on himself, Chapo has made it difficult for the Mexican government to get rid of him. Smart strategy.