nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

jackal
you know it seems there has been a significant reduction in the verbal personal attacks between forum posters over the last few months.  that is a good thing because it was a turn off for me.  i was thinking to myself what might be the reason for this.  is it because chivo was removed as admin?  the chivo lovers have left as well?   just a gentler, kinder, forum membership now?

just curious what others think about this nice change?

thanks to DD for accepting the admin duties in replacing chivo.  i appreciate you being even keel, level headed and very professtional.   same goes for chivis.  thanks to you both!

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

_The Magician_

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

JohnnyOzone-2

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

JohnnyOzone-2

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

jackal
didn't mean to sound like i was kicking on chivo.  maybe just a coincidence that forum is different since his departure.

but magician is right, the personal attacks were mainly attributal to politics and cartel lovers.

regardless, i like the change.

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

@Johnny.  Satire and for that matter sarcasm are extremely hard to express in the written word.  The four minute delay from the time you posted your satirical comment at 6:07 and your explanation that it was satire at 6:11 could have started some personal attacks, so let not do that again.

But to you Johnny and all the others who have posted kind comments of support, THANK YOU.

The real reason there are less personal attacks and the Forum is less contentious is that everyone is playing by Buggs cardinal rule;

"play nice and everyone will be a happy family!"

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

JohnnyOzone-2

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

j.ward
It is negative posts like these that give the BB experience a bad taste. Why would anyone post something like this personally attacking an ex admin Chivo? He never did personal attacks and was very helpful to people it was his views against criminals in Mexico that people got upset about. Why would the admin allow this personal attack thread?

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

Mexico-Watcher
I take BB as a wonderful resource for my interests.  I very much appreciate Chivis, DD, and all the others who "obviously" (to me) post important items and offer their insights, perspective, opinions, and added info on posted items.

What goes on behind the scenes to keep BB going as a reliable source of information, I can only guess... but I do know it is hard work and probably very frustrating at times.

I accept everything that appears in BB and its Forum... When I see anything that seems off the mark , stupid, needlessly offensive, or ego-trips,  I simply ignore it and move on.

Bottom line:  Thanks to everyone associated with producing BB.  It is what it is.... A valuable chronicle of the evils that curse Mexico.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

el lechon

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

TexcocoDeMora
jackal wrote
just curious what others think about this nice change?

Replacing chivo.
Chivo is gonne? I thought he only change his nik and avatar!!
http://narcconoticias.blogspot.com/

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

jward.  you said;

Why would the admin allow this personal attack thread?

As general rule, administrators do not discuss administrative decisions on Forum and advise readers that if they have grievance to express it in a email, but since this is not a complaint about something we did, but rather a complaint about something we didn't do, I am going to make a comment.

I don't see how a thread labeled "nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB" is a personal attack thread.  The author then went on to say "there has been a significant reduction in the verbal personal attacks between forum posters over the last few months.

He then went on to express he had given some thought as to why.  He said the reduction was coincidental to Chivo leaving the Forum and was curious if people though that the reason for the decrease in personal attacks.

You interpret that as a personal attack against Chivo.  I don't interpret that an observation that the personal attacks decrease coincided with Chivo's departure as an attack on Chivo.  The author even said "maybe it was coincidence".

I re-read all of the comments and did not find one that was attacking Chivo.  In fact several were complimentary of him;

JohnnyOzone;  I just think there's been a lot of posts from different people that just focus on the negativity from Chivo and it's easy to forget that he did care and put in effort ...
I think we need to cut Chivo a bit of a break.  So it's a bit unfair to keep kicking the guy when he's down.

The author of the thread, Jackal:  "didn't mean to sound like i was kicking on chivo.  maybe just a coincidence that forum is different since his departure.
but magician is right, the personal attacks were mainly attributal to politics and cartel lovers.

Now jward, how can you interpret those as attacks on Chivo?  How are they negative?

I will not express my views or slam Chivo in any way because I don't think it appropriate to do so.  I do disagree with the above comments where they say :

 lot of posts from different people that just focus on the negativity from Chivo

I think we need to cut Chivo a bit of a break.  So it's a bit unfair to keep kicking the guy when he's down.

Because of those statements, I thought maybe I missed something, so I just typed "Chivo" in the search box and checked "sort by date" and went back through the comments  from today back to the end of January when Chivo left the Forum.  Those include every comment that mentions the name Chivo.   I found none that were personal attacks on Chivo.

I can only think of 2 possible reasons that you would post:
"It is negative posts like these that give the BB experience a bad taste." , when the thread is obviously a positive thread about BB.

Reason (1).  You wanted to be contentious and start an argument about current admin.  vs. Chivo.  (that is not going to happen).  If that was your reason, it violates Buggs policy of not allowing, "Any comment that incites and is inflamatory just for the sake of it.

Reason (2). You do not like or approve of mine and/or Chivis performance as administrators and view any compliments that we receive about the Forum being improved  as an attack on Chivo.

You have a right to your opinion as to our performance as administrators, but please don't try to twist other peoples positive impressions into a negative impression of the Forum.

As I stated in my earlier comment I think the main reason for the decrease in personal attacks is simply because everyone is "playing nice".  I do try to nip personal attacks in the bud, not letting them progress to a "war of words" and that might have something to do with it.

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

j.ward
Posted by Buggs on July 5, 2011:

 These are the two policies that get violated the most by a few:

3.) Any comment that incites and is inflamatory just for the sake of it.
4.) Comments that do not add anything to a topic and are not contructive, cluttering the comment section unnecessarily.

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Trolls-Beware-td3141191.html

Anyone who has been here for a while knows the public forum is no place for this type of personal attack type nonsense even if the poster rubs the admins nuts at the same time still is wrong. A personal email is where this type of personal nonsense belongs and not the public forum where it only incites more nonsense.

"nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB "

i.e. "thanks to DD for accepting the admin duties in replacing chivo"

i.e.  i was thinking to myself what might be the reason for this.  is it because chivo was removed as admin?  the chivo lovers have left as well?

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

jward

what transpired with chivo and BB has not, and will not, ever be made public.  It was shocking behavior and nothing to do with his style of comments.

It was me that recommended DD for the position of admin.  and Buggs loved the idea.  DD has worked harder than any admin ever,  including me.  He is fair and diligent.

Though Buggs thinks DD and myself are too lenient he is happy with us and most people are.  Also I have noticed a huge drop of complaints coming thru mainboard about forum people which is a great thing.

"Never" is a strong word.  He was very nasty to more than a few people, if they were not in his camp.  Including me while we were both admins.

When DD and I have a difference of opinion, we don't air it in front of an audience, we take it off board.  That is respect for each other but also respect for Buggs, BB and you all

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

j.ward
"The public forum is no place for this type of personal attack type nonsense. A personal email is where this type of personal nonsense belongs and not on the public forum where it only incites more nonsense. I am appalled that the 2 admin of the forum are participating in this personal attack against an ex admin of the forum"

Re: nice to see a lot less personal attacks on BB

I am beginning to wonder if you are chivo....:)

You have stated your position, and us ours.  You making assumptions, you don't know anything of what happened, and it was nothing either I or DD were involved with.  Chivo was banned for good cause, twice.

You can always start a blog and have him and yourself admin.

It is you that have been out of line here.  DD and I work way too many hours each day and if someone wants to show support, only an illogical thinker can surmise it was an all out attack on another.   The fact is people are showing respect to each other.  and the proof is the almost nil complaints we now get, prior to his getting the boot it was a daily thing and it has trickled down to almost nothing.

You are trying to incite but no one is biting.