Zeta' beheading video causes facebook backflip

Zeta' beheading video causes facebook backflip

Baggy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22368287

Facebook has said it will delete videos of people being decapitated which had been spread on its site.

"We will remove instances of these videos that are reported to us while we evaluate our policy and approach to this type of content," it said.

The news came less than two hours after the BBC revealed a member of Facebook's own safety advisory board had criticised its stance.

The social network had previously refused to ban the clips.

It had said people had a right to depict the "world in which we live".

But the US's Family Online Safety Institute (Fosi) said the violent nature of the material had "crossed a line".

"Personally and professionally I feel that Facebook has got this call wrong," said Stephen Balkam, the organisation's chief executive, ahead of the U-turn.

Charities in the UK had also called on the social network to reconsider its stance saying the material could cause long-term psychological damage.

Graphic violence
The warnings came after a one-minute long video was uploaded to the site last week showing a woman being beheaded by a masked man.

A voice heard on the footage suggests that it was filmed in Mexico.

A second video clip showing the execution of two men has also been shared on the network after being posted last Wednesday. The victims say they are drug smugglers for a Mexican cartel before being attacked with a chainsaw and knife.

Ryan L, a student at Belfast University, contacted the BBC after one of the clips spread around his friends' news feeds.
He said he had flagged the material with Facebook as being inappropriate, but was sent the following reply.

"Thanks for your report. We reviewed the video you reported, but found it doesn't violate Facebook's Community Standard on graphic violence, which includes depicting harm to someone or something, threats to the public's safety, or theft and vandalism."

Facebook initially confirmed it had opted to leave such material online.

In reference to the video showing the woman's murder, it issued the following statement:

"People are sharing this video on Facebook to condemn it. Just as TV news programmes often show upsetting images of atrocities, people can share upsetting videos on Facebook to raise awareness of actions or causes.

"While this video is shocking, our approach is designed to preserve people's rights to describe, depict and comment on the world in which we live."

Safety advisers
For the past three years Facebook has consulted Fosi and four other organisations in North America and Europe to discuss its online safety policies.

Although the group was not scheduled to meet until September, Fosi's head said he planned to raise the issue during an "extraordinary" phone conference.

"Where it gets grey is: what is in the public interest? Is it in the public interest to know what is going on with the drug lords in Mexico?" asked Mr Balkam.

"But given that not only are teenagers accessing this, but consumer reports estimate that seven and a half million under-13s in the US are on Facebook, you've just got to consider: would this go out on daytime television news?

"I don't think it would, even with a warning saying this is something you may want to avoid. It crosses a line."

He added that one of the videos had been shared among his daughter's schoolmates via Facebook earlier this week.

Psychological damage
UK child safety campaigners had also condemned Facebook's policy.

"Facebook must have taken leave of their senses," said John Carr, who sits on the executive board of the UK government's Council on Child Internet Safety.

"I hate to think how an unsuspecting youngster might react if they saw it through their news feed or in any other way."

Decapitation videos can be accessed through sites found via search engines and other popular video clip sites.

However, Dr Arthur Cassidy - a former psychologist who runs a branch of the suicide prevention charity Yellow Ribbon - said Facebook's social nature made it particularly problematic.

He added that he had seen the videos in question and warned they could cause long-lasting psychological damage.

"We know from evidence that [watching] such material can influence self-esteem in a very negative way," he said.

"It can also cause flashbacks, nightmares and sleep disturbance. If that is prolonged it can transfer into many other negative effects in a child and adults as well such as anxiety-related disorders and panic attacks.

Facebook says it has more than one billion members
"The other problem is some people, in their innocence, might share this with friends to say how abhorrent it is, and we are concerned about the profound and uncontrollable impact this can have on an entire community."

Possible compromise
An online petition calling for Facebook to remove decapitation videos had attracted 289 "likes" at time of writing.

One person who supported the campaign wrote: "The video appeared twice on my news feed. I cannot imagine the impact it will have on a younger person. Facebook needs to create some kind of filter to block these images from appearing in the news feed."

Facebook confirmed that its current privacy tools allowed users to block posts by particular people, but not specific types of content.

Mr Balkam said that finding a way to block the spread of such clips to those who had not opted into receiving them was one idea that could be explored.

"If they are going to host this kind of graphic violence how then can we best prevent those videos getting into the hands of folks who really don't want to see these, including children?" he asked.

Re: Zeta' beheading video causes facebook backflip

Nutcase
Sounds like they were looking at Chivis's story on the Main page about the decaps a few days ago....  Kinda made me sad to hear that Elem. school age child where sharing one of those video's with eachother. I have talked to most of my friends about what they know is going on in mexico and all of them are truly clueless about the blight going on in certain places. I pray for everybody.
Seeing is believing

Re: Zeta' beheading video causes facebook backflip

Jorge Jorvanivich
I didn't think they allowed porn on facebook, but there is and it is becoming more and more. They post videos on you tube, unlisted, then post links to them on facebook. They need to make it possible to filter certain material that you receive. That way everything can be distributed to those who want to see it. Where do you draw the line- porn its not illegal and lots of people would choose to receive it. But then you might get people posting porn involving kids or minors. You might say this should not be allowed because it is illegal. Violence/ beheadings- people are curious and most want to see one or two. These show crimes in progress, but I guess the video itself is not illegal, like the kid porn is. It has become impossible for parents to keep their children from seeing such things and I don't know if that is bad, or really makes little difference. When I was growing up we had Playboy, Hustler, and a couple other magazines that boys enjoyed reading. Then I remember a movie called "Faces of Death" that for the time was considered gruesome, and people were fascinated by it. I think most of it was actually fake. Now its like kids have an endless supply of porn and gruesome real things to occupy their time.

Re: Zeta' beheading video causes facebook backflip

mingmen
I wish I hadn't watched the one with the lady. The quickness makes it even more haunting

Re: Zeta' beheading video causes facebook backflip

Baggy
You get sites like liveleak that are posting anything and everything, Utube,google,facebook want a chunk of that so they have been relaxing their restrictions on what can be posted or not, It was maybe a year or so ago that facebook would have a mini brain fit if some woman posted pics of herself breastfeeding her own child, it would end with the photos being removed and a banning of the account but now im pretty sure their is porn on fb if you try to find it. shit changes quick when theres alot of money involved, The amount of goreperves or the internet thesedays is proof of it, just look at two stories i posted about a minute apart and the difference between the amount of views on each, one is this one here and the other is about the empty villages in guerrero, The ghost villages one had half the views of this one most likely because it has ''beheading'' in the title..

@mingmen i didn't actually bother watching either of this round of vids, They don't seem to change much..