ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

I think it silly that the Mx gov & US announced war with Zetas, as the bullseye.  no, not silly, ridiculous and counter productive....IMO...paz..Buela

The U.S. government joined its Mexican counterpart in placing the Zetas at the top of its list of organized crime priorities last month. There are good reasons, however, to question this designation.

The Obama administration announced in July an upgrade in the threat perceived from the Zetas, along with three other transnational criminal groups. The new designation also gave the U.S. government a bit more leeway in seizing the gangs’ assets and directs more attention from various agencies in their direction. As the Treasury Department explained:

“As a result of this Order, any property in the United States or in the possession or control of U.S. persons in which the significant TCOs listed in the Annex have an interest is blocked, and U.S. persons are prohibited from engaging in transactions with them.

The Order also authorizes the U.S. Department of the Treasury, in consultation with the Departments of Justice and State, to identify for sanctions any individual or entity determined to have materially assisted, sponsored or provided financial, material or technological support for any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this Order.”

The Treasury Department announcement, however, offers little indication of why the Zetas were specifically singled out.

The move likely responds to a number of motivations. One is that members of the Zetas are accused of murdering U.S. ICE agent Jaime Zapata in February. Insofar as the U.S. wants to have a credible deterrent against targeting its agents, bringing all of the force of the law down on the Zetas makes sense. Another likely factor is that the Mexican government has also recently named the Zetas their top priority. As the two governments aim to increase their cooperation, focusing on the same common enemy is also a logical approach.

Beyond the need to protect one’s own and coordinate efforts, there is some operational justification for singling the Zetas out. They are widely considered the most brutal of the gangs operating in Mexico, with wanton bloodshed and needless killings --such as the massacres of migrants in Tamaulipas -- turning into their trademark. However, if one accepts the explanation that the migrants were killed because they were suspected of being Gulf Cartel reinforcements, and if one recognizes that every gang in Mexico has perpetrated its share of utterly horrific acts, then this seems insufficient.

The Zetas are also considered the organized crime group that most preys on the sector of legitimate society. While the other gangs dedicate themselves primarily to trafficking drugs, the Zetas -- whose connections to Colombian cocaine suppliers are perhaps not quite as solid as those of their competitors in Sinaloa, and whose own drug production in Mexico is not as well developed -- rely much more on extortion, kidnapping, and other activities that necessarily victimize the nation’s legitimate businessmen.

Here, the logic for placing the Zetas first is on slightly firmer ground. There is a wealth of anecdotal evidence to support the hypothesis that the Zetas are more predatory toward the average citizen than most gangs. However, they aren’t the only gang that operates in such a fashion--the Familia’s level of integration into the broader society in Michoacan is even more notorious, and the reported rates of extortion in Juarez, where the Zetas are not a major group, are higher than anywhere in the Zetas’ stomping grounds.

With regard to the Zetas preying on the broader population, the difference seems to be one of degree rather than magnitude. It is also the case of an industry that is gradually moving in that direction as a whole, rather than the Zetas serving as the single malign outlier.

A further explanation is that the gang is the most expansionist of Mexico’s criminal networks. According to this logic, which paints the Zetas as Hitler to everyone else’s Stalin, the Zetas are the top priority because they destabilize the industry in ways that other gangs do not. Given that a stable underworld equilibrium is a prerequisite for a safer Mexico, the gang that most frequently challenges the status quo is the first that needs to be taken down.

There is also some truth to this line of thinking. The Zetas have branched out far beyond their Tamaulipas roots and have stirred up trouble across Mexico. They took control of Cancun, consolidated their control across the southern Gulf states like Veracruz and Tabasco, fostered the Familia’s rise to power in Michoacan (before breaking with them as well), supported the Beltran Leyvas in their break with Sinaloa, and are presently operating and supporting proxies along Mexico’s Pacific Coast.

Yet an objective accounting of the past several years shows that the Sinaloa Cartel is the group whose destabilizing tendencies are most responsible for the recent upsurge in violence in Mexico. Sinaloa’s move on Juarez has alone caused some 10,000 deaths, roughly a quarter of all the killings linked to organized crime during the Calderon administration. They also took advantage of a weakened Arellano Felix clan to increase their control over Tijuana, in the process unleashing an ongoing battle for the city. Before that, the gang launched an aborted attempt to take over Tamaulipas that ironically helped cement the Zetas’ rise to prominence.

Indeed, according to an analysis from David Shirk of the Trans-Border Institute based on statistics from the newspaper Milenio, the Sinaloa Cartel was involved in more than 80 percent of the killings linked to organized crime under Calderón through mid-2010. The Zetas, in contrast, were linked to less than 30 percent.

Taken together, the above raises significant questions about the reasons behind deeming the Zetas the clearest public danger.

Nor is it clear that the other gangs appearing on the Treasury are any more deserving. The Camorra, who were made famous in the book "Gomorrah,"  control a major port in Naples and are labeled by the Treasury as “the largest Italian organized crime group.” However, Treasury offers no evidence to support that assertion, and a good deal of recent reporting indicates that the Ndrangheta, a Calabria-based network with significant links to the Zetas, are significantly wealthier than the Camorra, with estimated revenues equivalent to roughly 3 percent of the Italian GDP.

source: Insight

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

My opinion is that all cartels are destructive and evil.  Mexico should not target one cartel but target all cartels going after the middle layer in mass......B

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

El Regio
Buela Chivis wrote
My opinion is that all cartels are destructive and evil.  Mexico should not target one cartel but target all cartels going after the middle layer in mass......B
Agreed, I am so sick of hearing negative information about a few groups and praises for another. Seems a bit hypocritical to me because they are all bad, they just have more means of covering up their actions.

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

@ Chivo...I love your first point!  so obvious...

@ I just don't get it, and Obama to jump on the tamale wagon is plain stupid.

@ anyone...

see the last paragraph which i highlighted in bold?  I wrote a piece and posted it on forum about the connection between Zs and the Italian ogr.  all the CDG fans pretty much slammed me. If people are opposed to good hard research then look at Wikipedia for LOS ZETAS and see affliation it is plain as day

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

El Regio
LOL Buela you are still being targeted by the CDG cheer squad? I thought it had been dismantled.

Los Zetas must be dismantled along with all the other organizations, Mexico cannot continue forward with this sort of crime going on in their country. I sure hope things improve and soon. I went to Nuevo Laredo this weekend to handle some business, we crossed at 10 pm (forgot no Taxis operate past 9 pm) we managed to get a taxi to take us to our destination and wait outside while we handled business then he drove us back to the border. As we were crossing the midpoint on the bridge, all sorts of sirens and gunfire broke out, we just missed it.....

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

holy crap Reg...10PM Nuevo crossing?  to do "business"

you're scaring me!!!   jajajja  JK

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

El Regio
lol no none of that... I was actually with my parents, we had to pick something up across the border, and no it wasn't drugs.

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

el Spaceio
there are a few reasons to put zeta up on the chopping block. number 1 is they are traitors of Mexico also i said long ago the CIA has CDG leaders in its pocket and they can control CDG along with some of the older cartels i am sure. not only once the Governments wipe out the zeta will it raise eyebrows in the other cartels and earn allot of respect for Law. it also will be cutting all the logistics the smaller gangs rely on in the wars they are supporting and allow the older cartels to wipe out the zeta supporter gangs. plus another big factor is since zeta don't have solid Colombian connections they are building there own whole new web in CA/SA which we need to end now cause we have enough problems just with the Colombian web i believe USA is even building or has built 3 or 4 airbases down in Columbia

its high time the criminals in Mexico respect the Law gonna be an interesting next few months
~~~ I believe in equal rights for every Honest Person on this Planet regardless of Race or Money ~~~

favorite quote "helping to better the lives of others is the greatest of all achievements" http://www.feinsteinfoundation.org/

my email is lostowl@lycos.com

Viva the Law!!!

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

Barbon
Yes it was! u a junkie!

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

I just sent you a reply to your less than insightful post about narcos.  thinking you were a serious person just lacking knowledge of the mx drug issue/violence.

then i saw this reply to Regio.  and realized you are here to waste time.  If you are here to start shit that is also a waste of time ultimately to will be flushed down with the rest of them...

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

lito brito
sounds like some pendejo is about to get a B boot in the ass...jjajaja

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

©ĤİVǾ wrote
Whats is a "u a junkie"?
This comment and one other made me think we have a troll, it could be allseeing1-capt jim-cathoundtex...coming back in another form.  remember those "3" were one in the same.

the comment started when Regio posted he crossed the border for business late at night.

teasingly I wrote:

holy crap Reg...10PM Nuevo crossing?  to do "business"

you're scaring me!!!   jajajja  JK  (i was totally kidding I think Regio as a straight shooter)

Regio replied no he was not there to pick up drugs, he was with his parents on business.

and BARBON wrote "YES IT WAS,  YOU A JUNKIE"  in reply to Regio's asertion it was not for drugs.

I had just written a long response to Barbon's question about knowing someone who joined a cartel.  A rather naive question but I thought it was sincerely asking so I answered.  after reading the junkie comment I deleted the comment and asked that he explain the comment...he/she did not leaving me the impression he/she is a troll and will show his/hers true colors soon.

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

El Regio
I just now saw the post Buela.. lol it's cool, it wasn't drugs and I am not a junkie I just won't put up my personal business on a public forum. =D But there is nothing sinister to it.

Re: ZETAS...enemy #1 says US and Mexico..not so fast..

Hola Reg...

No need to explain, I was just telling Chivo who was wondering about the comment.

It was strange, out of left field like that, and my exp says its a troll.  You were respectful

and everyone knows I was teasing, if I wasn't you and everyone else would know it.

there was no reason for him to sidebust like that talking out his nalgas..smells like a troll.