ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

addendum...after I posted I rec an email from my secretary..she has been receiving emails in which poltical parties are using the recent finds by the army and marines of weapons, drugs etc to benefit those opposing PRI candidate Rueben Moreira, who BTW has 75% of support at this time.
the emails mock "Bert" Moreira, the infamous recent Governor and present PRI national president for saying a trip to Coahuila is like a trip to Disneyland.  I am just posting one of the pics that was included in the political message:

"EN COAHUILA NO PASA NADA. ASI FUE COMO SE JACTO EL EX GOBERNADOR MOREIRA: DE QUE EN COAHUILA ES COMO IR A DISNEYLANDIA. POR ESO, LOS COAHUILENSES DEBEMOS DE RAZONAR  BIEN NUESTRO VOTO EN ESTA PROXIMAS ELECCIONES A GOBERNADOR."

If you don't respect Stratfor don't bother to read further but this just realeased is a decent overview of some of the events happening in Coahuila.

I am including a comprehensive video report of Narco-Tanks  here below;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ95u4e7TMM&feature=email

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJtrVDKZrW4&feature=player_embedded#at=44

 Military Operations in Coahuila

Over the past week, military operations in Los Zetas-controlled areas of Coahuila state netted large caches of narcotics, firearms — even an armored “monstruo” truck. The first such vehicle found in Coahuila, the monstruo was discovered June 6 near Progreso, between Monclova and the border town of Piedras Negras. An army unit found it concealed in a wooden structure built into a hillside and partially buried. Two days later, a detachment of Mexican marines conducting a raid in Villa Union, just south of the Texas border town of Eagle Pass, reportedly seized 201 assault rifles, some 600 camouflage or black uniforms with boots, several grenade launchers, three sniper rifles (one of which was scoped) and 30,000 rounds of ammunition.

Also on June 8, soldiers seized 16 AK-47 and AR-15 assault rifles in Zaragoza. Then on June 10, an army unit patrolling near Castanos, just south of Monclova, came upon an area of ground that had recently been churned up. Further investigation revealed four underground cisterns in which soldiers found 11 kilograms (24 pounds) of heroin and almost 1,000 kilograms of methamphetamine.

Combined with a munitions cache found June 1 in Nadadores and a ton of cocaine seized May 24 near Monclova, last week’s trove represents a sizable chunk of Zetas inventory. As we discussed in the last Mexico Security Memo, Coahuila has been a relatively quiet front in the cartel wars, except for occasional battles in Torreon and the capital city of Saltillo. But a buildup of military forces is continuing in the state, and large-scale operations over the past two weeks appear to be making an impact.

This is probably due to the confluence of a significantly larger military force in the state and newly acquired actionable intelligence, which enabled the military to conduct more effective operations. And what these military actions are revealing is that Los Zetas apparently have been using the rural areas of the sparsely populated state for years as a secure caching zone. With few people and no major transportation arteries leading to the U.S. border, Coahuila is not a landscape hotly contested by competing cartels. This has no doubt led to some complacency on the part of Los Zetas, and it now appears that their security has been compromised by the Mexican military presence.

According to  sources in the region, clashes between federal troops and Zetas operatives may flare up in the near term as direct military actions against Zetas forces and support networks increase. Should Zetas operatives find themselves cornered, their reaction may be full-scale combat, but we anticipate that Los Zetas will use hit-and-run tactics, such as ambushes, sniping attacks and explosive devices, at every opportunity to try to seize the advantage. It also is likely that Los Zetas will use some of those tactics to pull military patrols away from vital caches, so that the narcotics or munitions can be retrieved and relocated — possibly out of the state and perhaps to the Nuevo Laredo area, which also is Zetas territory.

For the most part, however, we believe Los Zetas will try to avoid direct confrontation with the Mexican military whenever possible. Zetas tactics elsewhere have shown that they may fade back when the military has the advantage of numbers or terrain. What is certain, given the organization’s known behavior, is that Zetas surveillance of the military will be vigilant. While we do not yet know the military’s ultimate objective in Coahuila state, we expect its intermediate goals include developing intelligence on Zetas weapons caches and seizing them to undermine Los Zetas’ ability to supply arms to their forces across northern Mexico.

Declaring War on All Rivals

The dismembered remains of three men were found June 7 in Lagunillas, Guanajuato state, with a message indicating they were killed because they were associated with Los Zetas, La Resistencia, the Sinaloa cartel and La Familia Michoacana (LFM). The following day, two more dismembered bodies were found in the same location accompanied by an identical message. In both cases, the messages were signed by Cartel de Jalisco Nueva Generacion (CJNG).

Then on June 9, outside of a bar in Apaseo el Grande, Guanajuato, a group of gunmen shot and killed one woman and two men, a shooting the state attorney general’s office initially attributed to LFM. It also has been reported that the shooting may have been tied to the CJNG, though it is not yet clear whether the gunmen or the victims were members of the cartel.

It is believed that CJNG consists of former followers of Ignacio “El Nacho” Coronel Villarreal, a high-ranking member of the Sinaloa Federation. In April 2010, Los Zetas executed Coronel’s son, Alejandro Coronel. Several months later, the Mexican army killed Ignacio Coronel himself — but the perception within his group was that Sinaloa leader Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman Loera betrayed him. Five days after Coronel’s death, a video was released announcing that the CJNG was an independent organization operating in Jalisco state. CJNG surfaced again on Jan. 28, 2011, targeted by the Milenio cartel in narcomantas hung throughout Jalisco. A few days later, the cartel released a video in which a spokesman said the organization did not intend to attack municipal, state, federal or military authorities.

The video did, however, go on to list the names of specific law enforcement personnel who the spokesman claimed were known to be involved with La Resistencia and LFM. According to the video, the named individuals had until Feb. 10 to resign or CJNG would begin hunting them down. Little appeared in the media concerning CJNG from the time the video was released until this month, and we have seen no reports that CJNG has followed up on its ultimatum.

What is significant in these events is the scope of CJNG’s hit list. The cartel appears to have declared war on virtually all of the other cartels operating in Mexico rather than align itself with either Los Zetas or Sinaloa, as most of the other cartels have done purely for survival’s sake. Another smaller regional cartel that appears to have taken the same step is the Cartel Independiente de Acapulco (CIDA). As for CJNG, its primary motive for going it alone (which may also be the case with CIDA) is probably its institutional distrust of both Sinaloa and Los Zetas.

ZOG

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

ZOG
don't tell T'ardent...he will get all excited about this latest hit against the vietcong..he has slipped back into the 60's

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

I live in Sabinas Coahuila and have for some time wondered why we have not had the violence experienced in other cities.  Don't get me wrong, I thank the Lord that we have not had that problem -- yet.  Many people believe that many of the bosses of (to use Buela's description)  the last letter live here and they don't want to mess in their own nest.  Sabinas is somewhat of a wealthy town with many very expensive homes, and many under construction, so maybe that is true.  It just seems to have a lot of visible wealth for a coal mining and ranching town.
You don't see it on the news or in the papers, but there have been a few episodes that I know of.  A shoot out in a local motel with 2 dead last year.  A highjacking of a 18 wheeler carrying a load of avocados to a local avocado processing plant.  They forced the driver to a dirt road on the edge of town and beat the s...t out of him.  Don't know if the shipper didn't pay a "toll", the load had drugs, or if it was a mistake.  I hear a lot about people receiving phone calls from "comandante...." saying they are 2 blocks from your house and if you don't pay them a specified sum of money they are going to put a gun to your head and blow your brains out.  I hung up on them when they called me, but I have heard of at least 2 people that are supposed to have paid.  They give a bank account number and you are supposed to deposit the money there.  That smells a little to me because it would seem if you had a bank account number you could identify the account holder.  My opinion is that is being done by local wannabe's but the call I got sounded like a automated dialing program.
The military, don't know if it is army or marines now has a presence in town and you see the truckloads of soldiers.  I have heard that drugs in town have dried up.  None to be had and that has increased breakins and robbery because the dealers have no other way of making a living.
I know those things are insignificant compared to what is happening in many of our neighbor cities, but I feel like we are sitting on a powder keg.  Sabinas is about 60,000 people I think.  We are on HWY 57, direct route from Saltillo, and Monterrey to the border, either through Piedras, Acuna, or Laredo.  To me it is a natural distribution point.  I have a friend who has several horses he keeps on a ranch close to town and he says everyday there are 2 black Suburbans parked by a gate to one of the ranches.  On one occasion he was on a ranch road leading to an arena and came upon 25 to 30 Suburbans and SUV's parked along the gravel road with 50 or 60 men standing around them.  One of them walked into the road waving his hands and my friend didn't know if he meant slow down or stop, so he just slowed down and waved and kept going.  I told him he was stupid AND lucky.
I don't know if the last letters are so well entrenched that the other cartels won't mess with them here or what, and I don't know why the military hasn't launched a major offensive, but I think it only a matter of time before one or the other or both happens.
I guess I should just count my blessings and quit worrying.

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

Zog...that was VERY funny!  But I don't think E-1/Ardent hangs in forum.

Sabinas... I think we have reason to be concerned.  At some point the last letter is not going to retreat as the losses reaches an unbearable level.  There will be blood and if that began all hell may break loose.  God forbid.  Citizens have stories such as yours..many unreported incidents.  On the other hand, the marines and army are making good inroads and not messing around.  All this time no one paid attn to quiet Coahuila, looks like that is changing.

The recent "finds" in Coahuila is being used by political parties to fortify campaigns.  I am posting one email sent to me by my secretary

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

tchickeboom
I just came back to the U.S. after spending a night on top of my house because someone came to a wooded area behind our house and fired off a machine gun.We live in a little town in the state of Tamaulipas.Very close to a place called "EL CHORRITO "I am an american and my husband is mexican.Not knowing if it was the cartel or just someone playing with their guns.But I didnt wait around to ask.The violence is everywhere and I do not recommend anyone going there for any reason.I still get a pit in my stomach when I think of it.

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

Horrible!

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

kylesam
Sad to say but this is the fault of Humberto Moreira Valdés.

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

A big part of the corruption and collulsion is the fault of the Moreira Brothers..to think Bert may comne President one day tells me there is little hope for Mexico

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

El Regio
It is the fault of the Mexican people as a whole. They let it get this far, they were ok with it until now.

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

In the sense that they no not demand integrity of their leaders,
 that they prefer indiviualism opposed to group,
 that they do not have regard or care to advocate and work for others,
 that they accept monthly payout from political parties knowing full well the money is coming from organized crime,
that they elect leaders that are not only suspect of cartel collusion but all but flaunt the collusion,
that they refuse to indentify the man in the mirror as being a big part of Mexico's ills.

yes...i agree

Who is Mexico?

Mañana Forever?: Mexico and the Mexicans...AN INSIGHTFUL READ ABOUT JUST WHO MEXICANS AND MEXICO ARE

Re: ZETAS TAKE A HIT IN COAHUILA

El Regio
Everything is corrupt in Mexico and everything is handled in that manner. It is disgusting to see how corrupt things are down at Pemex. Powerful positions are sold to the highest bidder.