Working in Reynosa

Wireman134
Hello, new here. Been following for a few weeks. All the fucked up shit going on in Mexico. The electrical contractor I work for tells me they have a job in Reynosa, the Farley's & Sathers candy plant. Upgrading a electrical service, some outside work involved. Should anyone here in the US be traveling to work, staying in a hotel in the Reynosa area. A woman from the plant was gunned down while going out for lunch I herd. The boss does not want to cross the boarded every night for safety reasons. Any advice appreciated.

Re: Working in Reynosa

RGV AG
Dude, you should be fine.  Probably thousands of Americans cross the border everyday to work in Reynosa.  That candy plant is in a nice industrial area, if I am not mistaken.  You will probably be fed at the plant, both breakfast and lunch.  I would stay in the US, it is not that big of a hassle to cross everyday.  Or stay in Mexico, I think there are hotels that will shuttle you to and from a plant, Hampton and Holiday Inn come to mind. The food on the Mexican side will be better.

Just don't go out after dark on the Mexican side and be aware of your surroundings.  I work in Mexico every day currently, and it is ok, just don't tempt fate by being somewhere you should not be.  If it is an American company I am sure you can get extra pay for going, especially if it is a company from up north.

Re: Working in Reynosa

Wireman134
New travel warning for Tamualipas, really no one else here lives in the states and has any advice. Is this just a Mexican problem? For Mexican citizens. Or do we all like the cartels here, really?

Re: Working in Reynosa

Wireman134
Will the CDG make a appearance at the Farley's&Sathers candy plant in Reynosa? Will we need there protection from the Zetas? My boss would like to know prior to next week end. He flies out Wed.. Crates are on route to the job today.

Re: Working in Reynosa

RGV AG
Dude:

Ease up, this shit is very isolated no matter how glossy and common it gets painted in the media.  Go work in Reynosa, enjoy yourself, take a book with you so when you cross the bridge in evening you have something to read in case the line is long.

You should be fine.  I am working in Mexico as I write this, just got back from a nice dinner.  I am pretty sure they will pick you up and drop you off at a hotel.  You probably have much less to worry about than if you were working in a rough section of L.A. or Miami or whatever other US city you can think of.

Re: Working in Reynosa

mrchingasos

Re: Working in Reynosa

Wireman134
I'm afraid they will be staying in Texas and crossing the boarder later in the evening 5/14-5/15 driving a SUV because my boss is a cheap SOB and has to make 50% on all his jobs. Oh well, I hear the Farley's&Sathers trucks have a "agreement" with the boarder agents. To pass easily across the boarder. Do you suppose the Farley's&Sathers Candy Co. is trafficking for the CDG in trade for protection of there operations (making candies)? Do the cartels know they will be coming to this area to work and have materials in transport using Farley's trucks. The owner is a Rich Bastard that takes everything and never gives back. Would this be the kind to be targeted by the cartels CDG? I've seen death too no very pretty watching a man bleed out. I am really afraid this will make me unemployed again in the US. Anyone really know WTF is going on or do you all just romance about these thing all fucked up in Mexico?

Re: Working in Reynosa

Havana
I'd just keep alert, yet chill and cross as early as you can and don't be speculating about particular of border payoffs/ CDG and the candy factory etc.. You'll be there to work.  So, just do your work and cross back.  Don't think any of us romanticize this stuff.  As everyone says, you'll be fine