WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Mica
WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Mica: I did not share this to debate anything political.  My reason for sharing this is to point out how vunerable these people are now to the plato or plumo offer.

WikiLeaks on Thursday published a database identifying more than 9,000 supposed current and former U.S. Immigration Customs Enforcement employees, saying it is important for "increasing accountability."

The database contains the employees' publicly available personal information and job history scraped from LinkedIn, including deportation officers, IT workers, human resource interns and legal assistants, among others. The list includes their LinkedIn profile photos and information on educational background and the city and state where they're based.

"This information is an important public resource for understanding ICE programs and increasing accountability, especially in light of the extreme actions taken by ICE lately, such as the separation of children and parents at the US border," WikiLeaks wrote in its description of the data set.

But publication of the information comes amid intensifying anger at U.S. immigration officials and the Trump administration for its "zero tolerance" policy that has separated children from their parents along the border and follows organized heckling incidents directed at two of the architects of the policy, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Neilsen and White House aide Stephen Miller, as well as protests against ICE in Oregon and a rise in abusive social media posts about immigration authorities.

WikiLeaks, the website that published the Hillary Clinton email dump during the 2016 presidential election, is most notorious for its publication of classified or otherwise confidential documents, such as CIA documents detailing hacking techniques. Some have speculated that its founder, Julian Assange, has connections to Russia, since the intelligence community believes Russia stole Clinton's emails, but has not pinpointed how they ended up on WikiLeaks. In another high-profile case, Chelsea Manning, the transgender former Army intelligence analyst, went to prison for leaking a trove of U.S. secrets to WikiLeaks in 2010, including video footage of the U.S. Apache helicopter attack in Baghdad.

In this case, WikiLeaks appears to have reproduced a project created by a New York-based artist and programmer named Sam Lavigne, who has taught as an adjunct instructor at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts and The New School's Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts.

Lavigne first attempted to publish the ICE database Tuesday using GitHub, which hosts open-source software development projects. At that time it contained information about more than 1,500 apparent ICE employees. But GitHub took it down, and the web page says "this repository has been disabled." Lavigne also published a blog post on Medium about the project, but Medium, too, took down his post, entitled "Downloading the profiles of everyone on LinkedIn who works for ICE."

"As ICE continues to ramp up its inhumane surveillance and detention efforts," he wrote, "I believe it's important to document what's happening, and by whom, in any way we can. To that end, I've downloaded and made available the profiles of (almost) everyone on LinkedIn who works for ICE, 1595 people total. While I don't have a precise idea of what should be done with this data set, I leave it here with the hope that researchers, journalists and activists will find it useful."

The left-wing website Splinter News published what it claimed was the cellphone number of Miller because of his defense of family separations, saying, "Perhaps you would like to call him about it." Twitter temporarily suspended users who shared the article.

And on Wednesday the office of Melania Trump complained to the Secret Service after the actor Peter Fonda went on a Twitter rampage saying Barron Trump should be "PUT IN A CAGE WITH PEDOPHILES" and that people should get the addresses of ICE agents and "SURROUND THEIR HOMES IN PROTEST." Fonda later apologized.

On Wednesday, the ICE office in Portland, Oregon, shut down because hundreds of protesters set up camp right outside its doors, blocking the entrance. Many of the protesters spent the night in tents for what The Oregonian described as a "round-the-clock-vigil." They gathered Tuesday afternoon to protest family separations and remained there after President Trump signed an executive order halting the separations, turning to family detention instead.

Employees had to be escorted out of the building.

"ICE operations at this location have been temporarily halted due to security concerns," a spokesperson said in a statement Wednesday morning, according to The Oregonian.

It closed again on Thursday.

"Wherever ICE agents dare to show their faces, they must be challenged and shamed for carrying out this fascist policy," the organization, Occupy ICE PDX, said in a statement on Facebook.

The group said it plans to stay "until concrete meaningful action is taken to reunite these families," encouraging similar protests at ICE offices across the country.

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

manuel2984ny
oh well . .
Minh : "I have been waiting since early this morning to transfer power to you."

Tin: "There is no question of your transferring power. Your power has crumbled. You cannot give up what you do not have."

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Tacuache
These dudes are f....  lol.  I heard they gave out their addresses and phone numbers too.

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

huero minuto
I know this won't be popular but I believe wikileaks could be considered as aiding terrorism, and that the only way they get away with it is they have some sort of 'rouge intelligence' backing.  It seems if the US really wanted em gone, they'd be dust.
   Releasing the names of agents is cheap, the politicians are moving the pawns(us) and pretty much getting away with it.
   As for Russia, they hardly have to do anything because the American media (wikileaks included) falls lock-step and does it for them.
  As for plato or plomu, thats a good shot Mica!  Maybe people should consider where Wikileaks is trying to take us, which in my opinion is down a dark road.
Jstanothercoyo

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Chimera
I completely agree! In fact, the US government (CIA) has said that WikiLeaks is a "non-state hostile intelligence service" aided by Russia. I seem to remember reading that Congress is considering a bill to officially declare that.

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Cuidado
Imagine having nothing to do all day but protest shit.

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Mica
Cuidado wrote
Imagine having nothing to do all day but protest shit.
The limits keep getting pushed and eventually someone is going to get killed and then what?

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

@Chimera: It was Mike Pompeo who said that. Saying Wikileaks is aided by Russia is a pretty biased statement. It is quite true that Wikileaks e.g. published documents Russian hackers sent them after hacking John Podesta's e-mail account, which some argue helped Trump win the presidential election. I would assume these so-called Russian hackers in reality was the GRU, the equivalent of CIA in Russia.

However, using Wikileaks as a circuitous route, is hardly new and something probably all intelligence services do around the world, including the US one, and therein lays the problem with Wikileaks: Fact and source checking. They just publish raw material and leave it up to others to analyze, and in a world cluttered with false and influenced information, it is kind of hard to process in a professional way when you have no control of the source behind Assange's statements.

I think Wikileaks, although they seem radical at times, serves a very important function as a modern day 4th estate.

I have no meaning here about this particular ICE publication, but I do have much against the Russian mafia state, and in that regards I find it peculiar that no one in the US seems to react much when Donald Trump is reaching out to Russia as he has done so many times through is presidency. There is something really fishy going on there.

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Mica
I am waiting to meet someone who changed their vote because of a Facebook ads or Podesta’s email.  But what’s that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

leChef
@Mica: I was responding to Chimera, and how it is a factual error that Wikileaks is aided and abetted by Russia. But let me take you up on that cup of tea, which I guess is as relevant as your statement of silver or lead.

In my opinion, there is nothing sensational about the ICE publication. All that info is available publicly on Linkedin, which is something each of these employees have made publicly themselves. Making lists of them is hardly a programming feat, as the article wants you to believe. I have done the same with plenty of companies to find out who to contact with what role etc. There is nothing a potential sicario could not find out by themselves there.

This was published as a political statement. You could always argue that every ICE employee is responsible for the agency they work for, as well as argue that it is morally wrong to publicly shame private individuals.

That being said, thanks for finding the article and posting it.

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Mica
@Chef
Totally agree, it was public information that was scraped from html. I imagine a government memo warning employees to use caution.  The only purpose of publishing the information is to threaten or feed the trolls.

Arguing every ice agent is responsible for they work, is the same as saying nuns are responsible for priest molesting.

It’s a lengthy topic, but I appreciate reading your feedback.

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Chimera
Yes, Pompeo said it, when he was CIA chief. LOL, I have a habit of using the agency name rather than the head's name because, essentially, they speak for the agency. So, by saying it Pompeo is saying, this is the conclusion of CIA. It's Pompeo who said WL was aided by Russia, and I'd think he's got some pretty good counter-intelligence to back that up.

IMHO, the hacking was most likely done by the trolls in St. Petersburg -- under the direction of "Putin's Chef," with the help of, of course, GRU. Roundabout, but gives a clearer picture, I think. 😁

WL and Julian Assange are agents of the Russian government. There is overwhelming public-source info to confirm that, one just has to follow the trails over the last several years. (Also, I've heard that from a well-placed retired NSA person.) They started out as a good idea and source, but not anymore. Again, MHO but backed up. 😉

Your last paragraph I couldn't agree with more! I am so alarmed that Trump is meeting alone with Putin again next month, and after sending his National Security Advisor to RU first. Are they going to make a secret agreement for the US to ignore what is done by RU in Ukraine? RU's pushing at NATO's boundaries. I am so p***ed off about that  pending visit! 😡

OK, off of soapbox and away from off-topic! 😸

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Chimera
It's not so much the info, per se -- which, as you say, is public. It's that WikiLeaks compiled it all in one convenient, easily-searchable form.

Sure, one could do that oneself with a simple script or search on Linked-In, but that would be just one person with the info. WL made it easily available to millions to potentially dox, harass, or threaten the ICE employees, who have enough stress on them already, right?

Aaiii, here I go again! [soapbox emoticon]

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

EmuskOner
I used to be for WL back in the day.  But they have turned into a puppet for the FSB/GRU(as you guys stated).  I am not a fan of the CIA, and i do think whistle blowing is needed from time to time(Edward Snowden for example).

However, WL is notorious for Doxxing innocent people.  Activists, and people that really put their lives on the line to help people.  Im not going to name names, but there are certain people associated with shining light on whats going on down in Mexico, and other parts of the world that have been doxxed.  The advice i give people posting on this forum and the comments section to use caution and dont post to much personal information as it can be used to put pieces of the puzzle together.

Personally, im not the biggest fan of ICE, but i do understand they are needed.

My rage tells me we should just drop a couple bombs on the Ecuadorian Embassy that's giving J.A. asylum.

However, my conscious tells me that's not right.  There are plenty of innocent people in that embassy that dont deserve that.

And i totally agree, there is MOST DEFINITELY something fishy going on with Trump and the Russians!

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

elranarene
Sry mica but the data was "open source".
And what have they expected. Collecting data and store them in databases which are not secured at all.
And then blame wikileaks for beeing fsb gru is typical American bullshit.
I am working with a bunch of gringos and they are so fucking easy minded. It worries me that they are Root.
Do not collect any data if you dont need it.
If you collect data.keep it safe and secure.
Dont put your whole life online.
I also get request to complete my Company profile with my Kids.my wife.my Friends.interest....
Why do they need this Info!!!!!!!!
 I willnever fullfill these request.
I would be realy scared about ice agents beeing so naiv and stupid. Such Guys must never have a gun.
Ever heard about social engineering?
Tequila aficionado

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

Mica
So much anger elranarene.  Sounds like you got fucked over by a white homeland security guard who blamed wiki leaks and never heard of social engineering.

Re: WikiLeaks publishes identities and information about ICE employees amid intensifying anger

elranarene
Sry mica. Not anger just increased blood pressure.
And Yes cant go to gringoland or even beeing in transit. Just beeing carefull-always made it- life is to awesome to beeing in jail.
I have done some research in his wiki db and its far away from putting ice ppl in danger.
US of A ppl should be more worried about politics, wikileaks is just the scapegoat to distract easy mindes majority.
And social engineering is offen easier and faster then hacking a pc.
Sorry if o offend someone.was not my intention.
Tequila aficionado