Where would you cross

Jarocho

I am familiar driving in Mexico and have made the trip many times.  We used to cross at Brownsville/Matamoros or McAllen/Reynosa... but that seems to be a "no go" with the recent troubles in Tamps.  Is there ANYWHERE to cross the border and drive "relatively" securely to reach central Mexico?

Any ideas on suggested border crossings?

Re: Where would you cross

G.G. de "el Cuatro"
Jarocho, it depends on your destination. The toll road from Nuevo Laredo to Monterrey is very secure. I dont go south by car anymore because of the risk but I've never had problems on the top level autobuses.

Re: Where would you cross

Jaorocho
Thanks GG,

DO you know much about Monterrey south towards DF?  Eventually I want to go to Veracruz... but can go via DF.  I used to travel from Matamoros or Reynosa south... but it doesn't sound very good at the moment.

Jorocho

Re: Where would you cross

anonimo
MONTERREY, Mexico – The U.S. Consulate is warning Americans who travel to Monterrey they face a greater risk of being kidnapped.

The warning was issued after the possible kidnapping attempt of a college student. Last Friday, a firefight broke out outside the American School Foundation of Monterrey, located in the upscale suburb of Santa Catarina.

Early reports say the kidnapping attempt triggered the gunbattle. Now officials believe it was a case of mistaken identity.

The incident is raising new concerns about the danger of being kidnapped and held for ransom in Mexico. Organized criminal groups like the Zetas are trying to make more money to fight the drug war through kidnappings and extortions. The Zetas have military training and are very resourceful. They are not just targeting people in the drug business. Business owners, their families, and anyone who can pay a large ransom are being targeted.

Many of Mexico’s wealthy industrial elite call Monterrey home. Some are being forced to flee the city and cross into the U.S. for safety. Federal law enforcement sources say the Valley (Rio Grande Valley) is also seeing a sharp increase in kidnappings. The U.S. Consulate says if you don’t need to travel to northern Mexico right now it is in your best interest to avoid the area.

I just came from Mexico, they took quite a bit amount of cash from us (the souvenirs money)...Each city we passed the crooked cops would stop us and take money ..for no reason ..you know the drill , que pa los refrescos..They dont want cien pesos anymore they want fivehundred and up..imagine that ..and also in Tampico they tried to rob our truck , luckily we took out insurance at the border...If you really ,really have to go please spend the extra onehundred and fifty and get insurance at the border, it will help you..be very careful "el grupo" is who operates in Tampico , probably Zetas...well take care and have a safe trip.

Re: Where would you cross

Pink
I would go straight south from Bville normally.  Tampico to the holy city of Vera Cruz.  Ha Ha!  I prefer the scenery and "tropical" to slabing it.  I historically avoid DF like the plague.  However, you are probably safer on the autopistas in the daytime.  Illegal road blocks pop up all the time, autopistas and smaller roads equally.  Try to stay with a group of cars.  Do not take any late model SUV or crewcab.  And please no black Escalades.Keep the rubber side down, be  safe and Godspeed.

Re: Where would you cross

Jaorocho
Thanks Pink,

I have been that way plenty of times... but it seems to be pretty easy to be in the wrong place at the wrong time at the moment.

Anyone know anything about crossing at Ojinaga and driving south to Torreon?

Re: Where would you cross

homie
take the bus .. or stay home...you are crazy to be driving around mexico right now...do you have a death wish?