What's the Big Deal? Mexico mayor admits to stealing, but 'only a little'

What's the Big Deal? Mexico mayor admits to stealing, but 'only a little'

DD

And he is running for re-election.

A former mayor of the town of San Blas, on the Pacific coast in the Mexican state of Nayarit, has admitted to stealing public money when he was in office.

"They say I stole a lot of money," said Hilario Ramirez while campaigning for a new term in office.

"I did steal, but it was only a little because the government was in crisis."

Mexicans from the state of Nayarit are going to the polls in July to elect a new state congress and 20 mayors.

On the campaign trail, Mr Ramirez said he had stolen with one hand, but with the other hand given the money to the poor.

"I've been criticized because they say I like money... but who doesn't like it," he told dozens of supporters listening to his campaign speech.

Mr Ramirez, who is running as an independent, said he enjoys work and is running for office again to show other mayors how to do it.

He promised to sort out the financial crisis affecting the town on the Pacific coast.

Mr Ramirez was first elected mayor of San Blas in 2008 for the conservative National Action Party (PAN).

He came to be known as "the generous mayor" because he handed out money to his supporters when he arrived at his swearing in ceremony.

He was later accused of embezzling about $1.5 million.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-27772120

DD.  Borrowing from the title to a story I am working on,  “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals.”  He will probably be re-elected.

Re: What's the Big Deal? Mexico mayor admits to stealing, but 'only a little'

Pepe

Re: What's the Big Deal? Mexico mayor admits to stealing, but 'only a little'

He,also admited smoking weed but he promises everybody he never inhaled!

Re: What's the Big Deal? Mexico mayor admits to stealing, but 'only a little'

tuSancho
''A politician who is poor is a poor politician.'' Carlos Hank González

Mr. Hank González was Mexico City's mayor, governor of Mexico state, agriculture secretary and director of the tourism ministry. He exemplified the party's old-guard leaders, who built careers by doing small favors for supporters in rural areas.

Ramirez is just getting his 15 minutes of fame.  Here is the real deal:  http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/13/world/carlos-hank-gonzalez-73-veteran-mexican-politician.html

Ramirez is small potatos, er... small shrimp (San Blas reference).  The Hank clan know how to do it right.  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/drugs/special/hankfam.html

I live in the southern Nayarit area.  Here is our municipal president.  He is known as RATA Cervantes for looting the treasury and running the county into debt.
http://periodicorealidadesmx.com/nota.php?id=13255