What's going on with La Barbie?

La Maestra
I read in the local newspaper that the Mexican Government wants to try La Barbie in their court, instead of extraditing him to the U.S.  Do any of you know about this?  What motives do they have, other than money?

SO CALLED "NEWS"ON LA BARBIE IS OLD NEWS FROM LAST WINTER

ok...so I saw all the press articles, which are essentially the same, from The Chron...but where is the news?  Mexico announced this last winter...?

from december of 2010:
The Mexican attorney general's office said on Thursday (December 16) that it wants to try Edgar "La Barbie" Valdez, allegedly one of the country's most notorious drug lords, before extraditing him to the U.S.
The United States has requested the extradition of "La Barbie," an American citizen who was captured in August in Mexico.
Valdez, imprisoned in a high-security prison, is accused of being one of the highest-ranking cartel leaders captured alive since Mexico launched an offensive against the cartels four years ago.
Mexican Attorney General Arturo Chavez said La Barbie should stand trial in the country where he caused so much pain.
"Regarding the extradition of "La Barbie" Edgar Valdez Villarreal, this subject has caused a lot of damage to Mexico. He has damaged Mexicans. So it is fundamental that he also responds to Mexican justice; so what we did is to execute the existent arrest warrant against him to make sure the judge sends him to prison, and of course, to continue the extradition process, there is an ongoing request," he told reporters.

full post:   http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist/RTV/2010/12/17/RTV3228410/?v=1&a=0
and all over the place today: It could be a while before the accused Texas-born drug trafficker known as "La Barbie" will face charges in the U.S.
 The attorney for Edgar Valdez Villarreal, a 38-year-old U.S. citizen from Laredo, said his client was expected to come to the U.S. for his drug trafficking charges, then be returned to Mexico. But a Tuesday announcement by Mexico’s attorney general that the government there will pursue charges of organized crime, kidnapping and arms possession against Valdez means the U.S. may have to wait its turn.
 Valdez is wanted by federal courts in Georgia, Louisiana and Texas. So far only Louisiana and Georgia have asked for his extradition, his attorney Kent Schaffer said.
 “The last I heard, they thought he could be brought back here sometime by early fall,” Schaffer said. “If they’re intending to try him there, that could be way down the road. That could take years.”
 After his August 2010 arrest, the Mexican government said Valdez has dual citizenship because his mother was born there and required the U.S. to request his extradition.
 That contrasts with accused Zeta hit man Wencesloa Tovar, a U.S. citizen who was arrested while living with his parents in Nuevo Laredo last month and deported to the U.S. the same day.
 Schaffer said he thinks the Mexican government wants to hold onto Valdez, a prize catch in President Felipe Calderón’s war against the narcos.

full read:  http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7681987.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so essentially yesterdays big news and that of today...is old news.  I researched it through my folders because I had remembered this already being announced last winter.  In fact in December 2010 he was charged with multiple counts.  apparently Edgar's Atty was ignoring the words of Mx and gave it little credence.  BTW Kent Schaffer is an excellent atty with many honors, and specializes in DRUG TRAFFICKING   see here:  http://www.biresandschaffer.com/PracticeAreas/Interstate-and-International-Drug-Trafficking.asp  that is his photo above right.

Notable:  Edgar's brother is the one that retained Schaffer for him, a full week prior to his "capture" ....hmmm, think maybe "someone"knew "something"?

so the only news is old news...I think at this point there is still an outside change for extradition but appears that Mx is sticking its chest out on this one!

thanks for your post it encouraged  me  to dig a bit

Re: What's going on with La Barbie?

MANO
JUST USING 82 AS BARGAINING CHIP,(POLITICS AS USUAL)THEYLL EVENTUALLY RELENT.. 82 WORST NIGHTMARE IS TO BE LOCKED UP IN A MEXICAN JAIL..
Llorando se fue, la que algun dia me hizo llorar.

Re: What's going on with La Barbie?

ArmChairIntellect
He seemed fairly comfortable right after he got arrested, all bunked up with el grande.  Is he afraid he will die in a Mexican jail?  Too many enemies or something, I thought it was kinda strange that he wanted to go to the US in the first place, cant get hookers in American prisons.  Anyone know if any of his assets were seized after his arrest?

Re: SO CALLED "NEWS"ON LA BARBIE IS OLD NEWS FROM LAST WINTER

La Maestra
I think that as long as he remains in Mexico, he'll still be running the show.

It's so weird that he has extensive family here, and a lot of them are involved in the same thing, but nobody seems to know.   The authorities and the media are too quiet in this case.

Re: SO CALLED "NEWS"ON LA BARBIE IS OLD NEWS FROM LAST WINTER

Barbon
I heard he got it good from Bubba and all his cellmate friends.