What is wrong with Mexico? “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals."

What is wrong with Mexico? “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals."

DD
Hilario Rodriguez Villanueva, former municipal president of San Blas (PAN… the conservative party) has been re-elected  in yesterdays state elections.

I posted a little story on June 11 entitled "What's the Big Deal? Mexico mayor admits to stealing, but 'only a little'".  In that story I used the metaphor of  “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals." referring to corruption.

A former mayor of the town of San Blas, on the Pacific coast in the Mexican state of Nayarit, has admitted to stealing public money when he was in office.

"They say I stole a lot of money," said Hilario Ramirez while campaigning for a new term in office.

"I did steal, but it was only a little because the government was in crisis."

On the campaign trail, Mr Ramirez said he had stolen with one hand, but with the other hand given the money to the poor.

In a campaign speech he said;

"I've been criticized because they say I like money... but who doesn't like it," he told dozens of supporters listening to his campaign speech.

He came to be known as "the generous mayor" because he handed out money to his supporters when he arrived at his swearing in ceremony after his first election.

He was later accused of embezzling about $1.5 million.

Mr Ramirez, who is running as an independent, said he enjoys work and is running for office again to show other mayors how to do it.   (Sounds like he is going to give lessons on how to steal from the municipal treasury.)

With 100 percent of precincts reporting in yesterdays election, Rodriquez (running as an independent) has received 40% of the vote, beating second place finisher, Candy Yessica Blancas (PRI-Green-PANAL) by at least five percentage points.

There seems to be a lot of cannibals in San Blas.  (or maybe there a lot of people wanting to run for office next election and want to take lessons from him).

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/What-s-the-Big-Deal-Mexico-mayor-admits-to-stealing-but-only-a-little-tp4072167.html

http://mexfiles.net/

Re: What is wrong with Mexico? “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals."

tuSancho
If you think there are cannibals in Nayarit now, just wait.  I live in Nayarit and follow these events closely.

Guess what, there is a new port coming to Nayarit and guess which municipio it will be located in???

This port will be very close to Mex 15 and its route through the economic centers connected to the Pacific Coast.

"Este magno proyecto se edificará en el municipio de San Blas y límites con el municipio de Compostela; es un puerto de altura y cabotaje que se convertirá, al ser concluido, en el puerto mercante más importante de Latinoamérica, que conectará al mundo del comercio a través de las costas del Pacífico nayarita."

Do you think the mayor will have an opportunity to steal more this time?

http://www.periodicopanoramanayarita.com.mx/panorama-informativo/se-invertiran-47-mil-millones-en-puerto-nayarit-roberto-sandoval/

http://www.nnc.mx/portada/1404866621.php

Re: What is wrong with Mexico? “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals."

tuSancho
And to assure that the pez grande have a nice place to stay, with a private airport and located near the new highway from Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta... there is another project taking place, sponsored and supported by the federal government:

The past governor, Ney Gonzalez, who sold the Tepic / Nayarit plaza twice (to Zetas and Sinaloa), designated the area Riviera Nayarit and with it stole gobs of money.  Now the area is being further exploited by the new govenor.  All PRI!

This article explains and details the project pretty well:
http://www.blooming-intl.com/fonatur.htm

Keep in mind that Chapo Guzman was instrumental in the development of Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, the home to many capos and their families.

"Tourism projects have always been a prime venue for money laundering investment by Mexican drug traffickers. Felix Gallardo invested in Hermosillo and Puerto Vallarta, as did Chapo-Guzman in Southern Nayarit and Banderas Bay in Nuevo Vallarta. In time, we may discover that Juan Garcia Abrego has investments in Punta Diamante, as he does in Monterrey and Matamoros, and that the Cancun-Tulum project is another example of money laundering symbiosis between narco-power and elites in Mexico."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/mexico/readings/lupsha.html

Re: What is wrong with Mexico? “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals."

DD
@TuSancho.  Thanks for the added info.  The involvement of the cartels and their money, along with the ties to the elite goes back a long way.

Eduardo Valles Espinoza, a deputy to two Mexican Attorney Generals in the PGR;  In his published letter of resignation from the PGR in May 1994 he wrote: I ask: When will we have the courage and political maturity to tell the Mexican people that we are living in a narco-democracy. Will we have the intellectual capability and ethical strength to say that Amado carrilo, Arellano Felix and Juan Garcia Abrego are, inconcievably and degradingly, the promoters and even the pillars of our socioeconomic growth and development...  Nobody can conceive of a political project in which the narco-trafficking lords and financiers are not included, because if he does so he is dead.

I made a comment a few days ago (I don't remember the thread) that some historians believe the near total collapse of the Mexican economy in 1994 was the result of the drug lords pulling their money and other liquid assets out of the banks in Mexico.  Supposedly a few weeks before he took office Zedillo (who had been Colosio' s campaign manager before Colosio was assassinated)  had started talking to his advisors or staff about carrying out some of Colosio's plans to clean up PRI and the government.  The story goes that the cartels became concerned about the safety of their money and pulled it all out of Mexico  within a few days after Zedillo's inauguration.  The result being that Mexico did not have the foreign reserves to pay its national debt.  The economy was already in a fragile state due to overspending by Salinas.  The withdrawal of funds from the banks was the straw that broke the camels back.  The value of the  peso fell like a rock almost overnight and the economy was in near total collapse.

The US Congress would not approve a bail-out loan to Mx..  Bill Clinton cobbled together a $20 Billion loan for Mexico out of discretionary funds he had control of.  Zedillo shut up about going after the cartels and their money and corruption.  Money started flowing back to the banks and the Mx. economy made a relatively speedy recovery.  (Incidently Mx repaid the $20 Billion loan from the US ahead of schedule).

I don't know if all that is true or just conspiracy talk, but if true it illustrates the power of the cartels over the economy (in both Mx. and US- remember the stories that  that the proceeds of organised crime were “the only liquid investment capital” available to some banks on the brink of collapse in 2008.).  It might explain why the "war of drugs" has gone on for 40 years and has failed miserably.  The powers that be don't want to cut off the flow of drug money into the economy.

You thoughts on that?

Re: What is wrong with Mexico? “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals."

tuSancho
I get local news from a couple of facebook pages.  One is Nayarit en linea who ran a story today that connects with those above.  A meeting of governors proposing a railway from the new port near San Blas north to and through Chihuahua on to the north, probably meaning Juarez.  NAFTA and China on steroids, with a little mordida along the way.

http://nayaritenlinea.mx/2014/07/09/tratan-sandoval-y-duarte-inversion-ferroviaria-acerca-del-puerto-nayarit/

Re: What is wrong with Mexico? “cannibalism is moral in a country of cannibals."

Wow that sure is a powerful paragraph in his resignation letter;just goes to show us Mexico is truly a NARCO state.