What infamous shootout is this?

leChef
I have seen it plenty of times, but never knew which incidence we are seeing. Anybody know? It starts at about 3:48

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

Tokz
All I know is that it happened it Valle Hermoso, Tamaulipas in 2010. Zetas vs CDG.

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

ESLiero
Those were the “real” Zetas that entered that specific city to attack CDG gunmen who were also firing back and somehow managed to keep the Zetas at bay.

The citizen video is on YouTube....sounds of the firepower that both groups sounded off for a few minutes.

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

ENDTHEWAR
Ive seen that one numerous times too and was always curious as well. Does anyone have an idea whats going on in it? Like a play by play..I have a hard time figuring out whos shooitng at who
MX

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

MX
This shootout was in the aftermath of Tony Tormenta's (TT) death, so it happened sometime immediately after 5 November 2010. Back in the day, the military was not stationed in Valle Hermoso and they had to travel from Reynosa or Matamoros to even get there. We're talking close to an hour drive for a regular car. After TT was killed, most of the military stayed in Matamoros over the weekend (TT was killed on Friday), which made Valle Hermoso very vulnerable. I'm not sure if you been to Valle Hermoso or not, but it's a small town and there are 4 main entrances that are very close to each other (essentially a box with entrances on North, South, East and West). It makes it quite easy to "take over", close down, or ambush it. From my understanding, the shootout was indeed between the Gulf Cartel and Los Zetas, who were trying to make an incursion to the city in the aftermath of TT's death.

I'm trying to find another video from a reporter (I think it was Televisa) who talked about a shootout in Valle Hermoso around that time, and mentioned how the shootout lasted approximately 3 days. I have friends over in Valle Hermoso who talked about some pretty bad incidents down there back in 2010. Essentially stories of the city being "under siege". A lot of the original families who formed Valle Hermoso left that year to Monterrey or the Rio Grande Valley. Valle Hermoso, though small and rural, was originally formed by rich ranchero families from Matamoros who wanted more independence. Per capita, Valle Hermoso's individual household income was actually quite high when compared to Matamoros. When all this shit started to happen, people from these wealthy families were kidnapped, which led to a mass exodus of Valle Hermoso's upper-middle and upper class. Many are actually back now, but in 2010 most of their ranchos / estates were abandoned. I'm guessing this made it easy for incursions of rival criminal groups, who might have used these properties as pit stops or hideouts.

Hope this helps.

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

Mica
Yeah it's Tony Tormenta

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

Fantastic people. Thank you very much. 2010 must have been a bad year for people in North Eastern Mexico.

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

ENDTHEWAR
Really appreciate the insight guys...especially you MX!

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

It was easier to find info once I knew the place. According to the original video posted on youtube and metatube, it took place on the 10th of Nov, 2010 between 09:30 and 13:30.

Rise Makaveli, a significant contributor in the beginning of BB, posted that the confrontation happened because the Gulf Cartel had gotten reinforcements from La Familia, which had just reached Valle Hermoso.

An old blog says the Navy came after about 40 minutes.

I think the 3 day shootout you are thinking of is 24th of Feb, 2010. That is when CDG took over Valle Hermoso, if I understand correct.

Source:
https://amigosdetamaulipas2.mforos.com/1810297/9631892-balacera-en-valle-hermoso-tamps/
MX

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

MX
Nice find! With the exact date, I was able to find this article from Proceso. According to the source, the roads leading to Valle Hermoso were closed by organized crime members (like I said in my previous post, it's fairly easy to do given how Valle Hermoso is structured). This source says the military arrived at the scene 2 hours later via helicopter. That's a long response time...

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

leChef
@MX: Looking at the map there are many brechas out of Valle Hermoso. I don't know how efficient it really is to close off the 4 main access roads, but the report said that some of the major confrontations were in the brechas.

I am pretty sure looking at google street view that the narcos in the video are dead center in Valle Hermoso, where Lazero Cardenas meets Jose Vasconcelos, and they are shooting towards west, up Jose Vasconcelos. The guy filming is seriously far away, although he seems to be close by.

Here is another video from the same day and you can see the sicarios driving by:
https://www.metatube.com/es/videos/42086/Balacera-Valle-Hermoso-2da-parte/

This post was updated on .
@leChef I've never seen that video before. Here is a rare one from Reynosa that I could only find on one YT channel, sharing just in case someone missed it.

Re: What infamous shootout is this?

ENDTHEWAR
Wow great find Toks. DIdn't see that one. Theres another one where one of the sicarios is wounde lying on the ground in front of a truck and bullets are still flying. Dont know much about it though.