What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

MrJayDub
Title says it all. Just curious to se if you all are interested in other types of organized crime besides Mexican drug cartels.

I research all types of organized crime. American mafia, American street gangs, Mexican cartels, Columbian cartels, Yakuza, the mafia Italy, pretty much everything. I've read countless books and I check the news on these subjects almost every day. I think I could probably write a book on the history of organized crime at this point...lol

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

K_Mennem
How about biker gangs? I do not ever write about them, but I spend significant time following them.

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

MrJayDub
Biker gangs is something I've been looking into only recently. Definitely interested, but I'm just now getting there. If you have a couple of book or sources to suggest please let me know. I'll check them out.

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

K_Mennem
I dont have any books off the top of my head. I had a few family members who were Mongols and a buddy who is a Bandito. I learned most of my info from them. I would like to write about them and their long-going history with Mexico. A lot of those guys are chicanos but some have historically ran drugs from the border areas north or dealt with border cartels in getting meth when the home-cooking wasnt there.

Bikers have ran from the law and headed south of the border for generations. I think many of the biker gangs in Mexico were started by fugitives from the US southwest.

--------------------------

Two U.S. gang members arrested in Tijuana
Allegedly members of the Mongols motorcycle gang

by Alexandra Mendoza
July 27 2011

TIJUANA
 -- State authorities arrested Tuesday two members of the Mongols motorcycle gang, one of them on “America’s Most Wanted” list, who were being sought in the United States for attempted homicide, violent robbery, weapons trafficking, among other felonies.

Alfredo Arenas Moreno, the international coordinator for the Baja California preventive police, said its agents mounted an operation Tuesday afternoon that culminated in the arrest of the two men who were found hiding in a house located in La Sierra neighborhood.

He identified the suspects as Peter Soto and Oscar Olivas, who were easily recognized for the extensive tattoos associated with the motorcycle gang.

The two are suspects in the attempted murder of a member of the Hell’s Angels, bitter rivals of The Mongols, the official said, and other felonies.

Soto was considered one of the leaders of the Mongols, which the FBI raided several years ago and captured more than 100 members, Arenas said. Soto was able to escape to Tijuana, where Baja California police arrested him.

http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/16062/Two-U-S-gang-members-arrested-in-Tijuana/

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

MrJayDub
Yeah I know the basics about them such as the things you just mentioned but I've been reading more about their history in recent months. I'm familiar with the Mongols and the Banditos, plus I've lived in Ocean Beach for about 15 years now so I know a few Hells Angels. I don't ask too many questions though...lol

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

Anon
I used to read alot about the Italian American mafia, and I'm still interested in their history, like between the 20's and say the 70's, but they are really small potatoes now. The cartels are mostly interesting to me because of how powerful, wealthy and violent they are. I feel like most other organized crime groups are either under control or generally less violent, but in Mexico its completly out of control and therefore the most interesting.

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

El_Cuatro_Veinte
US Congress

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

_Jack

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

Anon
Lol, very true.

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

Krauss

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

Phineas
Just bought this Hells Angels book that was on sale yesterday!  I'll let yall know how it is when I'm done (& the name would be helpful too lol)

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

ArmChairIntellect
I spend a lot of time on conflicts in Africa

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

ACI where the hell ya been?  :)

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

K_Mennem
Working on an "outlaw biker gang" piece right now MrJayDub!

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

NoMamesGooey
I have read a ton of books on the american italian mafia, the LCN. One book that I can recommend is Murder Machine, its about the Roy Demeo crew of the Gambino Crime Family. The Last Narco was also an ok read.

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

Mexico-Watcher
I am interested in all issues related to violence in Mexico.

Apart from articles from the web, I also have quite a collection of pictures and video on this topic.

Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed by the scope and graphic content of the data I've accumulated.

Paz

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

Sleep
Has anyone read book: McMafia: Crime Without Frontiers (by Misha Glenny)? Friend of mine recommended it as a top book for this issue, I just haven't had opportunity to read it yet. Here is review of it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/apr/06/society
O te alineas o te mueres.

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

Mexico-Watcher
Thanks for the heads up on the book.  What books on Mexican violence (any period in history) do you recommend?

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

MrJayDub
I've never read McMafia: Crime Without Frontiers but it looks like an interesting read. I'll put it on my list.

The Last Narco was an interesting read but it could have been written a little better IMO.

Mob books I recommend are Wise Guys, Underboss, Murder Machine, The Five Families, The Valachi Papers, The Don and Man of Honor.

Mexican drug war books I'd recommend are El Sicario, El Narco and True Tales from Another Mexico is an interesting book. It's a simple read with lots of stories so I have it in my bathroom...lol

Looking forward to the "outlaw biker gang" piece K_Mennem!!

Re: What Other Types of Orginized Crime do you Study/Research?

themadcanadian
I don't research any other organized crime.  I have lived around bikers and was in a street gang from 16 to 21.  I knew some CDS guys and they seemed like farmers to me more than anything else.  I think all this gave me an understanding that gangs are just groups of people and therefore not all that mysterious.  In other words, an insight into how disorganized crime can be?  How many times have you read a story and wondered how on earth the people got away with what they were doing for so long?

I read extensively on Mexican history and I am currently reading a book on the history of revolutionary struggles in Mexico.  I love the country and hate to see it imploding like it is and I think I am trying to understand it more than anything.  I leaves me feeling like I should be doing something, which is why I translate and post on the forum once I figured out that is what the idea behind BB was.
TheMadCanadian
123