Wealthy expat who made his money distributing Corona beer in Canada found murdered in Cabo Pulmo,Baja Sur

Wealthy expat who made his money distributing Corona beer in Canada found murdered in Cabo Pulmo,Baja Sur

SUN: Canadian wine merchant murdered in Mexico
Author of the article:Brad Hunter
Publishing date:Sep 12, 2020  •   •  2 minute read

Canadian Craig Harrison (pictured here with his wife Lori) was murdered in Mexico.
Article Sidebar

Wealthy wine merchant, hotelier and realtor Craig Harrison’s tropical dream became a nightmare on the beaches of Mexico.

The 65-year-old — originally from South Africa and who later settled in Vancouver — was found washed up on the sandy beaches in Cabo Pulmo National Park last Saturday night?

Harrison had disappeared on Aug. 29, according to Mexican media reports.

Cops say he had been stabbed in the chest before he was thrown into the Gulf of California. His killer or killers loaded him down with a backpack full of rocks to make any chance of survival impossible.

So far, cops are not offering any motive in the slaying. His car was also missing.

Before moving with his wife, Lori, to chic Cabo San Lucas in 1997, Harrison ran a successful wine import business in the Vancouver area.

He immigrated to Canada in his 20s and his fortune was made when he won the right to distribute and import popular Corona beer in western Canada.

He later began investing in Los Cabos vacation properties in the 1980s.

After moving to Baja California Sur, Harrison and Lori worked in real estate and ran a vacation rental business.

On his real estate web page, Harrison wrote: “My extensive experience in the wine industry told me that the old adage ‘Life’s too short to drink cheap wine’ holds true in vacationing as well. Like a fine vintage claret, our Bed & Breakfast offers something unique for the discerning traveler, looking for quiet, relaxed luxury — far enough from the madding crowd, but sufficiently close to drop in and partake when the desire is there.”

Lori Harrison added: “In my travels throughout the world, I have at times been fortunate enough to encounter a rare magical oasis. Since coming to live in Cabo San Lucas, this most beautiful and unique desert-ocean environ, my desire has been to recreate this type of experience for our guests.”

Sadly, that magical oasis turned out to be something else.

American couple Ian Hirschsohn, 78, a retired aerospace engineer, and Kathy Harvey, 73, were found murdered 1300 km away in Baja.
Meanwhile, nearly 1,300 km to the north, an elderly American couple were discovered at the bottom of a well.

Mexican investigators believe Ian Hirschsohn, 78, a retired aerospace engineer, and Kathy Harvey, 73, a retired physical therapist, were murdered and their bodies dumped.

They were last seen on Aug. 28 when Harvey texted her son, saying they planned to visit a gold mine or the beach. The pair were slated to return to the U.S. on Aug. 31 and were reported missing two days later.

Their vehicle was later found abandoned hours north of where they had been staying.

bhunter@postmedia.com

@HunterTOSun

The Toronto Sun Headline News

https://torontosun.com/news/world/blood-under-the-sun-canadian-wine-merchant-murdered-in-mexico