WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

DD

DD Note:  (this note is a op/ed piece and not necessarily the views of Borderland Beat) We have published quite a bit about Dr. José Manuel Mireles Valverde on Borderland Beat, maybe more than any other publication.   An anthology of our articles follows this story.

One of the reasons we do that is because we believe the self-defense movement that he has become a leader of and a spokesman for is a legitimate legal effort by the people to defend themselves against the violence and extortion of the cartels when there has been a failure at all levels of government to do so.

The federal and state governments fearful of what these brave people are doing and have taken steps to disarm them (and thereby emasculate them) and have attempted to demonize them as criminals will disband them if they can.

 By increasing public awareness of the self-defense groups and what they are doing and what they have already accomplished, we believe we can offer them some degree degree of protection, at least from governmental efforts to disarm and disband them.

For the new reader the following article is an introduction to Dr. Joe.

For the regular reader of BB, it is a reminder of why Dr. Joe and compatriots need our help and support and is an anthology of articles BB has published about him.

For Dr. Joe, it is a expression of our continued support.

For the people of Mexico Dr. Joe is the emergence of a true hero – a leader the people can trust and whose power base is the people, not PRI, PAN, or PRD, (or any other political party).

José Mireles, M.D., Leader of Michoacán Self-Defense Groups

They have accused him of acting illegally, of violating the rule of law, of being an ex-con. But José Manuel Mireles, one of the exemplary leaders of the self-defense groups of Michoacan, rejects the accusations and tells Proceso that the resistance movement emerged when the people became fed up with being the eternal victims of organized crime in the face of the inaction or even complicity of the authorities. The man they call "Doctor Cold Stare" invites the people of all the towns in the state to follow his example, to "get rid of the fear."

    "We don't want the criminals, not even those with trays of bread or seats [official posts] of governmental power," he declares.

Proceso: José Gil Olmos

Tepalcatepec, Michoacán - José Manuel Mireles Valverde, leader of the local group of citizen self-defense, momentarily interrupts the interview with Proceso when he is informed by radio that the Knights Templar are attacking his peers in an area of the town of Aguililla. He calls an ambulance to pick up the injured, but the vehicle is broken.

Members of self-defense arrive at the entrance to the facilities of a livestock enterprise, its operational hub. At the same time, two vehicles loaded with soldiers pass by. They are not stopped. The self-defenses get into their trucks and go at high speed to support their colleagues. On the radio-receiver are heard the desperate calls for help.

It's the night of Wednesday, November 20--commemoration of the Mexican Revolution--but for the Tepalcatepec citizen self-defense group, more worthy of celebration is noting that four days ago they began to give help to the citizens Tancítaro, who decided to arm themselves and tackle crime organized.

    "The people are in charge. Only the people can defend the people," Mireles declares, and he adds that everyone is willing to die to defend his family, his property and work, in order to free themselves from twelve years of being under the yoke of organized crime.

Mireles is one of the coordinators of the Citizen and Community Council of Self-Defense Groups of Michoacán, and he has become the model character in the emergence of these groups in the Tierra Caliente [Hot Land, mountains inland from the Coast], the Meseta Purépecha [Purépecha Highlands] and the Costa [Pacific Coast] starting last February 24. He travels in a black van full of medical supplies, and his radio moniker is Cruz Roja, Red Cross.

A surgeon who graduated from the University of Michoacán, from 1984 to 1986 he held several positions in local PRI [Party of the Institutional Revolution], according to local publications. Michoacán government spokesman Julio Hernández accused him, without presenting evidence, of having been in jail from 1988 to 1992 on charges of planting and harvesting marijuana, charges that the doctor flatly rejects.

Over 50 years old and 1.90 meters [6' 3"] tall, Mireles is known by the military as "Dr. Cold Stare." Strong, bushy mustache and longish gray hair, he does not hide his resentment against organized crime because, he says, he was kidnapped, they took his father's properties, and several of his family members have been murdered. Spanish original

(Fragment of a story in the current print edition of Proceso - you need a subscription to read full story)

http://mexicovoices.blogspot.mx/2013/11/mexico-jose-mireles-md-leader-of.html

ANTHOLOGY OF STORIES ABOUT DR. MIRELES (THROUGH 11/26/2013)

June 13, Forum   Knights Templar in Michoacan: Citizen Self-Defense Testimony
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Knights-Templar-in-Michoacan-Citizen-Self-Defense-Testimony-tt4051686.html

July 18, Forum  Six Executed in Tomatlán (where the Doctor who was a Director of the community self defense group gave YouTube interview)
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Six-Executed-in-Tomatlan-where-the-Doctor-who-was-a-Director-of-the-community-self-defense-group-gav-tp4054276.html

July 29 Forum  in a comment by Bjeff at;  How a Cartel Dominated a Mexican Town
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/How-a-Cartel-Dominated-a-Mexican-Town-tp4055150p4055157.html

July 30, Forum  Dr. Mireles; Interim Governor of Michoacán, Jesús Reyna, is a Templar and his wife is sister of La Tuta's wife
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Dr-Mireles-Interim-Governor-of-Michoacan-Jesus-Reyna-is-a-Templar-and-his-wife-is-sister-of-La-Tuta-e-tp4055239.html

July 30, Forum 3 Cartel Members Suspected in Naval Officer's Killing Caught
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/3-Cartel-Members-Suspected-in-Naval-Officer-s-Killing-Caught-tp4055238p4055246.html

August 1, Forum Does the Leader of La Familia Michaocan "el Mas Loco" live? First of a 3 Part in depth look at the man and the mind of the Templars (Includes a You Tube interview by Denise Maerker with Dr. Mireles.)
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Does-the-Leader-of-La-Familia-Michaocan-el-Mas-Loco-live-First-of-a-3-Part-in-depth-look-at-the-man-s-tp4055567.html

August 3 Front Page  (Video with translation) Michoacán: "Help Spread the Word, So the U.S. Pressures Mexico to Notice us"
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/08/michoacan-help-spread-word-so-us.html

August 16 Forum, Message from the guards of self-defense and community police of 7 municipalities of Michoacán
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Message-from-the-guards-of-self-defense-and-community-police-of-7-municipalities-of-Michoacan-tp4056687.html

August 24 Front page (video with translation) Auto Defense: "No Problem We can do it Alone"- Military Refuses to help during Multiple CT attacks
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/08/auto-defense-no-problem-we-can-do-it.html

August 27 Front Page (video with translation) Auto Defense Video Translation:" The Governor is going to fabricate offenses to incarcerate all of you”
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/08/auto-defense-video-translation-governor.html

August 28, Forum (VIDEO) Vigilantes Give Municipal Police A Good Ass Beating: Enough Is Enough
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/VIDEO-Vigilantes-Give-Municipal-Police-A-Good-Ass-Beating-Enough-Is-Enough-tp4057446p4057457.html

Sept. 09 Forum  In Mexico, self defense groups battle a cartel http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/In-Mexico-self-defense-groups-battle-a-cartel-tp4057977.html

Sept. 10 Forum These Guys/Gals Have Grit. The Civilian Self Defense Groups are Gaining Ground
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/These-Guys-Gals-Have-Grit-The-Civilian-Self-Defense-Groups-are-Gaining-Ground-tp4058022.html

Sept. 12 Front Page (video with translation)   Translated: Michoacán Communty Police Video and Shootout Killing 15 Templarios
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/09/translated-michoacan-communty-police.htm

Sept. 24  Forum Dr Mireles Video Translation: "people of U.S.; do not abandon us" CT Usurps Indentity of Autodefense Groups
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Dr-Mireles-Video-Translation-people-of-U-S-do-not-abandon-us-CT-Usurps-Indentity-of-Autodefense-Grous-tp4058472.html

Sept. 26. Forum Thank You! I Now Have the Donation Info for Autodefensa
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Thank-You-I-Now-Have-the-Donation-Info-for-Autodefensa-tp4058507.html

Sept. 25 Front Page (video with translation) Video Translation: People of U.S. do not Abandon us"- CT Usurps Indentity of Autodefense Groups
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/09/video-translation-people-of-us-do-not.html

Oct.  09 Forum Dr José Manuel Mireles Valverde receives death threats; Makes URGENT appeal to international human rights
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Dr-Jose-Manuel-Mireles-Valverde-receives-death-threats-Makes-URGENT-appeal-to-international-human-ris-tp4058988.html

Oct. 13  Forum Al Jazeera Video Covers Self Defense Groups 10-2-13 Mireles speaks
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Al-Jazeera-Video-Covers-Self-Defense-Groups-10-2-13-Mireles-speaks-tp4059070.html

Oct. 27 Front Page (video with translation) Amid death threats Dr Mierles appeals to Human Rights Commission
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/amid-death-threats-dr-mierles-appeals.html

Oct. 27  Front Page  Feds Disarm 3000 Auto Defensa Members as they enter Apatzingán for Protest-
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/shootout-and-grenade-attack-by-ct.html tacked by CT

Oct. 27 Forum  Dr. Mierles Communication to Chivis---Auto defensa Enters Apatzingán, are disarmed and attacked
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Dr-Mierles-Communication-to-Chivis-Auto-defensa-Enters-Apatzingan-are-disarmed-and-attacked-tp4059612p4059622.html

Oct. 29   Front Page Templarios Blow Up 18 Power Substations-Death Toll Rises from Apatzingán Shootout
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/templarios-blow-up-18-power-substations.html

Oct. 30 Front Page  He Denied Their Existence; Eight Months Later, Fausto Vallejo Wants Dialogue
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/he-denied-their-existence-eight-months.html

Nov. 2  Forum Community Police reporting 23 killed in several hours
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Community-Police-reporting-23-killed-in-several-hours-tp4059807.html

Nov. 3 Forum  Black week for Michoacán Register 4.7 deaths a day in clashes between police and criminals
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Black-week-for-Michoacan-Register-4-7-deaths-a-day-in-clashes-between-police-and-criminals-tp4059836.html

Nov. 09 Forum "BASTA"!! (enough): The drop that made the glass overflow.
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/BASTA-enough-The-drop-that-made-the-glass-overflow-tp4060094.html

Nov. 12 Front Page (video in English)  Dr Mireles Videos: Living under the control of Templarios in Michoacán
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/dr-mierles-video-living-under-control.html

Nov. 15 Forum  Declassified NSA Docs detail Mexico's San Fernando Massacre and attempted coverup (there is discussion and new info on Mireles in comments)
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Declassified-NSA-Docs-detail-Mexico-s-San-Fernando-Massacre-and-attempted-coverup-tp4060367p4060395.html

Nov. 16 Front Page (video with translation)  Michoacán: A Fight to the Death...for life
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/michoacan-fight-to-deathfor-life_16.html

Nov. 17 Front Page (video in Spanish)  Comunitarios Ambushed in Pareo
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/comubitarios-ambushed-in-pareo.html

Nov. 20 Front Page  Dr. Jose Manuel Mireles, AUC: "We want the heads of 7 "Templarios'" Leaders"
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/dr-miereles-auc-we-demand-heads-of-7.html

Nov. 20 VIDEO Forum: New Video of Shootout Between Knights Templar and Vigilantes
http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/VIDEO-New-Video-of-Shootout-Between-Knights-Templar-and-Vigilantes-tp4060651p4060653.html

Nov. 23  Front Page  Autodefensas: Dr. Mireles California hometown speaks about him
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/autodefensas-dr-mireles-california.html

Nov.  26 Front Page (video with translation)  A day in the life of autodefensas 9 months strong
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/nine-months-and-still-going-day-in-life.html

Re: WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

DD..

though his first name is Jose he never goes by that or joe he signs all his emails "Manuel"  which is his middle name

Re: WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

I have it a little differently you did a lot of work to change my list to chronologically.

this is by interest:

BORDERLAND BEAT POSTS OF DR MIERLES, MICHOACÁN, AUTO DEFENSA
Chivis Martinez Borderland Beat

Video transcribed translations:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/09/translated-michoacan-communty-police.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/08/auto-defense-no-problem-we-can-do-it.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/michoacan-fight-to-deathfor-life_16.html

More posts (text not videos)

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/analysis-case-in-support-of-autodefensa.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/who-really-governs-michoacan-and-how.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/mexico-vows-to-stop-vigilante-expansion.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/michoacan-senators-meet-with-templarios.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/without-army-self-defense-movement.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/he-denied-their-existence-eight-months.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/shootout-and-grenade-attack-by-ct.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/06/confronting-knights-templar.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/templarios-blow-up-18-power-substations.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/female-auto-defensa-taking-matters-into.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/07/armed-commmando-open-fire-at-protesters.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/08/we-are-villagers-in-search-of-justice.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/08/self-defense-groups-extend-to-center-of.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/strange-twist-in-facts-surrounding.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/09/shouting-in-michoacan-voices-against.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/09/dont-find-me-hanging-from-bridge-part-2.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/01/it-will-be-eye-for-eye-guerrero.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/02/the-residents-of-four-states-opt-for.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/10/bishop-of-apatzingan-michoacan-is.html

CT Propaganda

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/09/los-reyes-3-decapitated-heads-with.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/09/cts-narcomantas-and-brochures-for-epn.html
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/02/la-corona-reshapes-alliances-in-jalmich.html

Tuta Video Translation

Part 1:
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/08/video-translated-tuta-speaksagain.html
Part 2:
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/08/video-translated-la-tuta-speaksagain.html

Re: WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

Maddy

Re: WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

@Chivis.  Your lists are a tremendous helpful tool.  But I was just trying to post the stories about Dr. Mireles.  I went through all the links on the list you sent me and read the stories.  Some were about him, but some were just about the self-defense movement and others just what is happening in Michoacan.

I attempted to pull out all of them that were just about him or where he was speaking, whether on video or just quoted in a story.

You're right, it took a lot of time (as I know your lists did), but I enjoyed going back over all the good articles we have on BB.  I knew we had done a good bit of coverage on the Doctor, but was a little surprised at how much we had done.

I think the lists, yours and mine, will be a valuable resource in the archives for research in the future.  I think BB has chronicled Dr. Mireles rise to prominence, as it was happening, perhaps better than any other media source.

Even though I have some privileges on the Front Page now, Forum is still my home and I think the archives of the Forum are much easier to research than Front Page and am glad you put your anthology on the Forum as well.

Re: WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

Dr Mireles is important but one man does not a movement make.  I have complied all things pertaining to the movement..there is another leader Hippo Mora who is very powerful as well.

I began the list about 7 months ago when I knew the story will be critical to Michoacán.  practically no one was covering it at BB.  I have translated many 30 to 45 min videos, but I thought they were important.

Valor and myself have posted the overwhelming majority of the articles.

When I began communicating with Manuel I referred to him as Dr Jose...he corrected me by answering and signing off as Manuel Mireles.

I don't know anyone that refers to  him as dr joe

also...the proceso article I have in full, but I opted to go with the analysis I just posted

Re: WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

El?2012
First of all if you have a "full auto AK" and a mob of citizens is approaching you the full auto is actually a disadvantage because you will be hitting each target multiple times greatly reducing your hit-ammo ratio. And these men are use to people freezing out of fear just by presenting the weapon but when they show no fear you have to choose one to shoot first and you know that you cannot kill them all so your mind freezes YOU. You are also forgetting that they also raid known/revealed stash houses, these cartels keep arsenals in reserve because as we all know during cartel wars they do not usually send in their best sicarios but rather hire kids and give them a rifle. Do not accuse people of something you have no evidence of. Are you also not aware that the Templarios gave NO EFFORT to conceal their identity or residence? You've seen the homes with Templario markings. If you know where these people live it makes launching operations very easy and why not take their vehicles, money, etc... THEY BOUGHT IT WITH MONEY THEY EXTORTED FROM THEM! Just because CJNG hasn't (to our knowledge) launched an assault on Communitarios is because why would you interfere with your enemies destruction? But that does not mean you're in cahoots. If you see a man who say raped your wife and killed your children being beaten to death are you going to run to save him? NO! does that mean you hired and armed the assailants? NO. If the gov. had ANY evidence that they were an "armed wing" of ANY cartel they would've already been engaging them. Just look at the lengths they've went to discredit the communitarios. I support your free speech, but discrediting people who are against  the cartels you're in turn supporting the cartels.
Libertad y paz en Michoacán!!

Re: WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

aguiniga12
It's freaking crazy that such a brave guy like Dr. Mireles once lived over in Modesto, considering that that is my hometown.

Re: WHO IS DR. MIRELES? SOME KNOW HIM AS DR. JOE, HIS HANDLE ON CB RADIO IS CRUZ ROJA, THE MILITARY CALL HIM “DR. COLD STARE” (Includes Anthology of Dr. Joe stories on BB)

jlopez
NAJ: Remember, these people grew up there, they know the area and they have had weapons all their lives. They are not totally unarmed. Mexican law allows rural residents to keep weapons for hunting, pest control and, if you belong to a gun club, for recreational purposes.

Another thing that you must keep in mind is that these brave sicarios kidnap up unarmed people, usually without warning, and are used to shooting victims whose hands and feet are tied, and many times are blindfolded. When these brave sicarios break into a home in the middle of the night, they are virtually guaranteed that the residents will be dazed, unarmed and terrified. But when somebody shoots back, even with a hunting rifle of a shotgun, the brave sicarios panic and run. I find it completely believable that the SD forces have obtained most of their heavy weapons from their cartel enemies. After all, a well placed bullet from even a .22 will kill you just as dead as a 7.62x39.

In one of his videos, Dr. Mireles describes how these brave "sicario" punks try to shoot without showing themselves by sticking the rifle out and emptying the magazines at the SDs. When they empty the magazines, they run, often leaving the weapons and empty magazines behind. It's one thing to shoot unarmed victims, including women and children, whose hands and feet are tied and who are paralyzed with fear. It's quite another to face an armed man who will kill you.