Violence in Sonora

Rubbertoe
Families living in rural areas are moving into Sonyta and other local towns in fear of violence. Over 100 who left everything are reported in Sonoyta living in shelters.  This from the attached article and people on the ground in Sonoyta.
Sorry, cannot translate the article.

http://www.elsoldecaborca.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13257:violencia-en-sonora-provoca-que-familias-terminen-en-albergues&catid=58:mexico&Itemid=104

Re: Violence in Sonora

Siskiyou_Kid
Rubbertoe, thank you for Sharing

I'm not really motivated to translate this article, but it does cover a fairly good overview of the violence that's causing widespread panic in the el Altar area of Sonora, which is an important transit point for illegal activity, particularly migrant smuggling.

There is also some talk of the vast cross border area occupied by the Tohono O´odham reservation, which has long been an important smuggling hub.

Border violence grips Sonoyta, Sonora

On the border with the state of Arizona and Sonoyta, a porous town which is currently experiencing a spike in the trafficking of drugs, people and weapons. This is the core of the reason that more than 70 Sonoran families have had to leave the area to find shelter and remain safe.

The desert region in the area of el Altar bordering the state of Arizona in the United States, is the subject of a territorial dispute for control of that territory for the transfer of drugs and other illegal goods, including the trafficking of people, weapons and money, causing families to flee to other parts of the state, said Sonora states Attorney General, Carlos Navarro Sugich.

The municipality of Sonoyta currently serves more than 70 families every day in shelters which give them food and a blanket. In addition, 1,200 people have been transferred from this agricultural valley of Sonoyta, to Puerto Peñasco, San Luis Rio Colorado, and Mexicali, in the United States.

Meanwhile, the Mayor of Sonoyta, Julio César Ramírez Vásquez, stated that more security by various state and federal law enforcement agencies is required.

"We need more security,that more agencies come in if necessary we are asking the support of the governor of the state for a permanent detachment of state public security police and because he is not saying it, we also need the federal police, so we are asking the support of the President of the Republic to give instructions to the Secretary of the Interior and to coordinate the public security work of the municipality" said the Mayor.

"We are really very concerned, especially in the area of the valley and the Sonoran Desert, the Ejido Valdez, La Nariz, La Division del Norte, are places where more than anything we are experiencing recurring shootouts and where more than anywhere the population is very exposed",  he lamented.

Navarro reasoned that from the Mexican side, authorities from Sonora, the Federal Police, the army and the Marina have done its work, securing the region, located particularly in the municipality of Sonoyta, however he said that on the U.S. side monitoring is scarce and has become one of the most porous regions on the border between the two countries , so there is lots of activity trafficking "whatever" from that area.

In fact the situation in the municipality which is unique is that the federal highway 2 runs in parallel with the border line for more than 130 kilometers in which there is no closure, or any barrier other than the desert and rugged terrain, this has become a delicate situation, with reports of armed clashes on a daily basis and with the exodus of families that are victims of panic which provoked a growing feeling of insecurity, leading them to seek refuge elsewhere in Sonora.

Navarro Sugich said that the fact is that on the US side,  there is the vast  Tohono O´odham indian reservation, and that is where authorities of the neighboring report lax enforcement, causing a lot of traffic in that area. In addition to drugs, the conditions persist for trafficking of weapons, of any type of goods, money, drugs and people.

"And it goes from here to there and from there to here, hence the interest of the criminal groups to control the region," said Navarro.

He also stressed that an operation is designated to improve safety in the municipality, control the situation and above all give peace of mind to the people and that there is a coordination with the army, Marina and Federal Police, but he declined to give details about the characteristics of the operation or the number of agents who intended to take part, he said for tactical measures.

He stressed that the facts are investigated and that they may lead to the apprehension of those responsible, but above all to bring the region back to tranquility, because it is the government's concern that  safety is maintained throughout the State.

"You will understand that it is very difficult to maintain constant surveillance in every inch of the state, and that in particular the area of Sonoyta and the desert is very extensive, difficult to control, and that over there is the problem that we have the ongoing problem that when the criminals see us coming, what they do is to cross back to the United States and thus evade us" said the Attorney General.

Under this approach he argued that the situation that faces in Sonoyta is complex in origin, because it is a binational problem, because it is clear that it is necessary to come up with an extensive solution that also involves the US authorities increasing surveillance in the region, because otherwise the interests of the trafficking groups will remain over the area , and the more operations that are made.

Re: Violence in Sonora

Mexico-Watcher
This post was updated on .
Kid: Thanks for the translation.  Your work is not in vain; I need it for my research files.
P.S. I crossed into Mexico as a tourist (by car, with family) in the mid 60s.  I got ripped off by officers at the   rinky-dink aduana. Bad start, but then, overall, we had a fantastic month long vacation.

We went all the way to Yucatan in my VW bus and had no problems of any significance with people.  At the time I worked at Mattel Toys and carried along about 200 Barbi dolls and other small toys, and about 200 Hot Wheels cars. These toys were new , but not to be sold, quality control items.  So, no trouble with Mattel.

Often, we would stop in very small towns and remote areas to give toys away. Curious kids would run up on us at these stops.  I would seek out kids that I felt were especially reserved and looking needy.  I could not give everyone gifts, but I would make a big deal of giving a few gifts to kids that my heartfelt instincts said were  especially deserving.  Man, it worked every time.  All the kids grouped around the little ceremony smiled and seemed to understand the situation. Giving dolls to poor little girls was almost a religious inner experience for me that I will never forget.

One very memorable incident, was when I picked out a crippled boy way in the background.  I had him come over and made a special deal in awarding him a Hot Wheel for being courageous and good.  Wow, just thinking about this chokes me up a bit.

Will Mexico ever be the wonderful place for carefree tourism by car? I pray it will.

Mexico-Watcher

Re: Violence in Sonora

Siskiyou_Kid
This is a Bing translation with a few changes not in the article to clarify points.

I too traveled through Mexico by car several times when I was a kid, and I think it's something I'll never be able to do with my kids.

Re: Violence in Sonora

Rubbertoe
Gracias for the translation.

Re: Violence in Sonora

tuSancho
that trip and many others are made all the time with no safety problems.  its easily done.  who knows what the future holds but i wouldn't hesitate today.  i have traveled dozens, probably a hundred, of times through the Sonora stretch.  chances of encountering problems is miniscule.  last time was about two weeks ago.  next time will be in about five weeks.  i wouldn't hesitate to travel, particularly along the main corridors and in the areas in central districts.

i will say, though, i always feel a bit creepy in altar sonora.  and, in sonora and sinaloa there are a lot of madrinas used for revisiones and they are a weird bunch too.

Re: Violence in Sonora

Rubbertoe
Yes it has been quite safe for tourists. I have also moved around Sonora with no problems and in areas of conflict. I am less concerned with the tourists than with the local population who often bear the brunt of violence, directly and indirectly.

Re: Violence in Sonora

Rubbertoe
Local news all a chatter about increased military and police activity in Sonoyta today.

Re: Violence in Sonora

Rubbertoe
Galnced at an article in a local Spanish paper in passing in an OXXO. Article reported an armed convoy battle on a highway near Santa Ana. Anyone see anything ??

Re: Violence in Sonora

Re: Violence in Sonora

tuSancho
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009130496723&fref=photo

FRONTERA SONOYTA.....FUERTES RUMORES Y SEGÚN ALGUNAS DE NUESTRAS FUENTES NOS COMUNICAN.... QUE ADELMO NIEBLAS (el memo) CABEZA PRINCIPAL DE EL GRUPO CRIMINAL DE LOS MEMOS...FUE RECAPTURADO POR EL GOBIERNO FEDERAL EN SINALOA....DE SER CIERTO ESTE DATO LA TRANQUILIDAD REGRESARÍA A NUESTRA COMUNIDAD EN ESPECIAL AH NUESTRO VALLE AGRÍCOLA Y LA REGIÓN.....LO QUE SI ES CIERTO ES QUE EN ESTOS ÚLTIMOS DÍAS SE A TENIDO UNA TENSA CALMA EN NUESTRA FRONTERA.....LE SEGUIMOS PIDIENDO A NUESTRA COMUNIDAD ESTAR ATENTOS EN LO QUE A SEGURIDAD SE REFIERE,SEAN CIERTOS O FALSOS ESTOS DATOS QUE NOS HAN ESTADO LLEGANDO A NUESTRO INBOX......FRONTERA SONOYTA....