Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

Siskiyou_Kid

Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

AGUA PRIETA, SONORA, MEXICO (CBS5) -

The first signs of a drug cartel power struggle might be appearing on the Mexican border after the arrest of Mexico's most wanted cartel leader.

It's happening in Agua Prieta, Sonora, Mexico, right across the border from the Arizona city of Douglas.

It was broad daylight Wednesday in Agua Prieta when hundreds of bullets blew holes through most everything in sight - trucks, windshields, walls, windows and suspected cartel henchmen inside those vehicles.

Afterward, federal police wearing commando gear poured into the streets of Agua Prieta.

It was the latest episode of gunfire in a border town that played an important role in the Mexican Revolution nearly 100 years ago.

Locals residents worry another revolution may be brewing now, the result of the recent arrest of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, the head of the powerful Sinaloa drug cartel.

It controls the smuggling corridor in and around Agua Prieta.

Juan Carlos Olvera, a local journalist who captured the aftermath of the violence on video, told CBS 5 Investigates that gun battles have pitted two factions of the Sinaloa cartel against each other.

But his images show there was also collateral damage.

Bullets flew into this home while a family was sitting down for a meal, one wounding a 9-year-old girl, who is expected to recover.

Mexican police took four of the people involved in that gun battle into custody.

But they were still asking one question: Is this the first sign of a civil war within the drug cartel - now that its leader is gone? We'll continue to monitor this developing story.

http://www.kpho.com/story/24916179/border-town-violence-ramps-up-after-arrest-of-cartel-leader

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

guasa_001
I heard cds infighting or something like that if anyone has further info can you contribute please ? Thanks

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

Siskiyou_Kid
It is reported to be Gente Nueva operators from Culiacan, fighting the local CDS plaza boss. This was going on before Chapo's capture, when at least 8 were killed in mid January, so I'm not sure if that really has anything to do with the infighting among rival CDS groups.

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

guasa_001
Thanks siski. I still don't understand I'm new to this cartel stuff. So it's gente nueva culiacan vs gente nueva agua prieta or how does it go?

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

Siskiyou_Kid
Gente Nueva is an enforcement wing for all of CDS in Sonora and some other states.

It sounds like they're trying to take back control of the plaza from the locals, who probably aren't kicking down fees charged to independent operators, or the locals are moving they're own loads without kicking down to the bosses.

When Mandy Moreno, a prominent Agua Prieta businessman locals say was the plaza boss, was killed in January, it was rumored that it was Gente Nueva.. Things really blew up after the federales killed Macho Prieto, who was rumored to have gone independent, or even to be working with BLO.

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

guasa_001
Ohh ok I get it now. Thanks for the info I appreciate it. It's the gente nueva vs the independents pretty much.

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

pilot
Theres a lot of people thinking this si infight in cds but no, it was a little group of beltranes(less 20) that try to enter to Aguaprieta to make some intel but GN kill the half and disappear the other half

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

Siskiyou_Kid
Thanks for the insight.

Do you think the Beltrans were involved with the fighting in January that killed Mandy Moreno?

I wonder if it's hectors faction ? Dosent mochomos faction have a pact with c.d.s or is it just corrido propaganda?

i doubt it because Armando was people of R5 but he wasn't the one that will get the chair of R5 and he want it so much that he was trying to get it and disobeying rules and doesn't respect the one that get the plaza so i think they decided to kill him before he become a trouble

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

pilot
yes its from el H, and from the people of arturo like his son, mochomos people are trying to keep the pact of no aggression

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

chapo isidros people el r7  theyre the ones who killed r5 GN theyre tryning too take the plaza from gente nueva CDS has send some rinforcements from culican there was a bullitin from GN telling people from agua prieta telling people not to come out theyre houses right now that the war has begun and its gonna get ugly el 04 is the person in charge of gente nueva now  so its not CDSvsCDS its GN vs Chapo isidro  in agua prieta

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

guasa_001
Dam that's some crazy shit. There trying to move in fast. I wonder who's winning already? And what the out come will be.

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

guasa_001
Does chapo Isidro run any plazas right now? Is el tortillero still with chapo Isidro? Or did he switch to mochomos faction ?

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

ToPHeR
Is Chapo Isidro still running with the BLO or did he break off and go independent? I'm pretty sure the "Cartel del Norte" in Monterrey is his.

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

Pariente
The rumors of Macho Prietos people killing R-5, did those hold any truth? Those were swirling around right before Chinos arrest and right after el R's death.
" La palabara es plata, el silencio es oro "

04 has been in jail since 2012, who is in charge of Aguaprieta of gn is el 31

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

pilot
he still running with beltranes he have a lot of support from kitochy beltran(son of arturo) kitochy was the person who plan the ambush in tubutama

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

readers were reporting two bridge closures yesterday in Sonora, san luis and agua prieta

Re: Violence in Agua Prieta, Sonora plaza heats up following Chapo's capture

Siskiyou_Kid
I heard that. They were saying there were rumors of Chapo's escape, which sounds preposterous.

Do you have any idea what was going on?

I found it really interesting in your mainboard post that one of Chapo's first tunnels was in El Charco.