Video: U.S. Coast Guard storms narco-submarine in huge Pacific Ocean drug bust

Video: U.S. Coast Guard storms narco-submarine in huge Pacific Ocean drug bust

Re: Video: U.S. Coast Guard storms narco-submarine in huge Pacific Ocean drug bust

U.S. Coast Guard released intense footage of Cutter Munro crew members jumping on a self-propelled semi-submersible suspected drug smuggling vessel (SPSS) on June 18, 2019, carrying thousands of pounds of cocaine, while operating in international waters of the Eastern Pacific Ocean.

The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Munro offloaded more than 39,000 pounds of cocaine and 933 pounds of marijuana worth a combined estimated $569 million, which was seized in international waters in the Eastern Pacific Ocean from 14 separate drug smuggling vessel between May and June 2019.

Purpose-build smuggling vessels like SPSSs are designed to hold large quantities of contraband while evading detection by law enforcement authorities.

Re: Video: U.S. Coast Guard storms narco-submarine in huge Pacific Ocean drug bust

Mica
Thanks Chivis

Pretty cool footage!

Re: Video: U.S. Coast Guard storms narco-submarine in huge Pacific Ocean drug bust

i posted it on main page.  we used to see these all the time.

a little history, central america had little trafficking problems because the bulk was sent by sea.  when agencies became proficient in capturing these vessels in the gulf, narcos switch to mainly land travel in place of the gulf. meaning thru CA

this past year ii have noticed an uptick

Re: Video: U.S. Coast Guard storms narco-submarine in huge Pacific Ocean drug bust

Why do you think the uptick?Are they busting more on land now?That is a pretty cool video.Gutsy guy.

Re: Video: U.S. Coast Guard storms narco-submarine in huge Pacific Ocean drug bust

Mica
The subs aren’t cheap or quick to make.  I read somewhere that they cost about $1 million to build.  They must have a lot of successful transfers or they would quit making these.

Re: Video: U.S. Coast Guard storms narco-submarine in huge Pacific Ocean drug bust

ElGrandeRojo
Agreed, they're getting way more through than are getting caught. I did read about new radar, and sonar being used to detect Russian and Chinese subs, have made it allot easier to see these semi sub Narco vessels. The rough construction does little to hide the noise from the diesel engines. One Coast Guard guy said they happened on a few by accident. They we're patrolling for Military subs, and happened upon Narco semi subs. They are pretty tough to see by eye u til you're right on them, but the new sonar can hear them.
ElGrandeRojo