Video: Documenting the perils of working as a journalist in Mexico

Video: Documenting the perils of working as a journalist in Mexico

Mica
There is a good PBS video interviewing Emmanuel Guillén Lozano.

"Organized crime and government corruption have made Mexico one of the most dangerous places in the world for journalists, especially those reporting on those issues. Emmanuel Guillén Lozano, a photographer who fled Mexico last year after receiving death threats, highlights those risks in his series “Blackness,” on display this week at the Photoville festival in New York City. He joins Ivette Feliciano for more."

I am unable to embed the video, so here is the PBS Link

Re: Video: Documenting the perils of working as a journalist in Mexico

Parro
Thanks Mica.  You wonder how you can be a journalist in Mexico, unless you ignore what is really going on.  If you tell the truth, you are in trouble.  If you ignore, you are probably fine.  Mexico's press is not free, but repressed.  Why no investigations and convictions?  Why does USA report on a 2 stabbings in Romania and not report hardly anything on what is going on down there daily.  In "Killing Fields", it was very important to get Pol Pot's atrocities into the public mainstream.  We saw this in "El Salvador" as well.  It takes a hero to go into the hard places and get the information out.  Thank God for these people that stay behind and report what is going on today, so we have some clue what we are talking about on BB.  There is no one happier than the narco, who creates their own messages, whether mantes, video productions, tags, etc.and gets the common person to believe them.  The thugs with the guns intimidate everyone in their paths except the other thugs who kill them, to put out another false message.