Vicente Carrillo's case

Anon
 My Spanish isn't great (I'm conversant but not fluent), I've been trying to read the articles that have come out today about his amparo being granted. Apparently the state failed to list the witnesses which would testify against him? I've tried to use google translate etc., but apparently due to intellectual property rights I haven't been able to use that. So can anyone explain what is going on with his case? Also is extradition on the table for him? Thanks.

Re: Vicente Carrillo's case

Extradition is definitely on the table, he has an indictment out of El Paso, I believe, and maybe others, that may be 10 years old at this point.

Re: Vicente Carrillo's case

Anon
I have a pretty limited understanding of Mexican law. My understanding is that Amparos are like prohibitive temporary injunctions which prevent the process from moving forward. So if he is granted an Amparo from extradition, for example, then they have to start all over again to prove that case. If the case can't be proven in a certain period of time, then the case is dismissed and the defendant is let go. I very well may be wrong about this, that's just what I gather. So I've been trying to follow his case, but again, my Spanish is a work in progress. I can read and understand it fairly well, but I know I'm missing context etc. So from what I gather, he has had several Amparos granted, against extradition and now, it seems against the charges themselves. So does that mean he is close to beating his case and being released? If he is aquitted of the charges in Mexico, will he be held pending extradition to the U.S? Has the Amparo against extradition been granted preventing his extradition? I wish the American press would cover this, maybe someone here can explain it to me.

Re: Vicente Carrillo's case

The Amparo is an obstacle, not a firm barrier, if US is requesting his extradition, which I imagine prosectors in El Paso are.  He's charged in a 46 count indictment form 2009.