Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

Mica
Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty
riviera-maya-news.com

Cancun, Q.R. — A police officer who was shot and killed inside his guardhouse Tuesday night has been identified as Jorge Alberto Tun.

This new attack against elements of the Public Security of Benito Juárez took place around 11:00 p.m. Tuesday when emergency 911 received the call. According to preliminary information, Alberto Tun was shot through the window of the guardhouse while on duty.

The single shot pieced the glass. He died before medical personnel could help. Reports say he was attacked by two alleged assassins who were driving aboard a white Avenger-type car. The car was found abandoned hours later on Yaxché Avenue in the Las Palmas subdivision.

The Municipal Secretary of Public Safety released a statement:

The police body of the Municipal Secretariat of Public Safety and Transit of Benito Juarez expresses its sympathy and external condolences to the family and loved ones of our police officer who courageously and in compliance with his duty, lost his life at 23:00 while he was on duty at the police base in Region 102, as a result of a cowardly attack perpetrated by criminals who were traveling in a Dodge vehicle model Avenger, white.

With the support of the security forces represented in the municipality, the search for those responsible continues.

The municipal secretary of Public Safety and Traffic of Benito Juárez confirms its commitment to serve and protect with value to the citizenship!

Jorge Alberto Tun had been a member of the police force for 24 years.

This is the third attack against police officers this month. Earlier in January, two police officers were shot at while in their unit in Cancun. The driver of the police unit was hit multiple times and remains in hospital.

On Wednesday afternoon, a live grenade was thrown at a state police truck in Cancun. The grenade failed to detonate.  A specialty unit was brought in to remove the device so it could be transferred to military facilities for controlled detonation.

Cancun police are still hunting for suspects in all three cases.

Re: Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

Mica
Another report (unverified) claims a grenade was put on a windshield of a cruiser in Cancun yesterday.
If you can find a reliable source, let me know.

With Cancun continuing to heat up with violence, I am almost considering a new thread for just Cancun.  Head soon for my annual Super Bowl in Isla Mujeres, wish me luck!

Re: Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

Kye0001
So sad.

Mica a thread for Cancun would be great, I'm trying to save up for a holiday this year/early next year and its the only destination the UK seems to be offering in mexico for a package holiday.  I'm a single mum travelling with teenagers so want to know what's going on before I book.

Re: Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

elranarene
Hola.yes a Cancun thread would be great as huge friend of mx and a single Dad with a teenage girl loving chillin at beaches 😃
Tequila aficionado

Re: Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

This is one reason I prefer to stay on Isla Mujeres.  It's a small island with more golf carts than cars.  There is a Navy base there.  My logic, less crime occurs because of the military presence, but also you can't exactly flee the island (which requires a fairy).

Re: Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

Kye0001
Thanks mica I'll look into it.

Re: Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

BigShun
How’s the alcohol at the resorts in Isla Muejeres? Some serve cheap alcohol leading to black outs. We’re seeing a spike in rape cases due to methanol poisoning from tainted alcohol in touristy resorts.

Re: Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

Mica
@BigShaun,
I have read all the reports about the alcohol and they scared me.  On vacation, I turn into a heavy drinker and was cautious.  Since the reports, I have visited the island multiple times and neither me, my family, or friends have had an issue.

The island is more family friendly, there are no late night clubs or people asking if you want drugs (probably some, but not out open like Cancun).  I am sure tainted alcohol is out there, but not openly practiced like Cancun.

Re: Veteran Cancun police officer shot, killed while on duty

BigShun
Thanks this is good to know.