Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

Sad and no easy answers, however this was on the job injury...shouldn't there have been a large workers comp settlement that would allow him private hospital care in Mex? Am I missing something here?  Paz, Chivis
Photo is of Quelino tearing up as fluid is extracted from his lungs in Oaxaca Mexico

An undocumented Mexican immigrant deported from Chicago after an on-the-job injury paralyzed him died Sunday while in the care of a small, Mexican hospital unequipped to handle his complications.

Quelino Ojeda Jimenez had been living and working construction jobs in Chicago when he fell 20 feet off a building near Midway Airport in August 2010, sustaining spinal injuries that paralyzed him from the neck down, UPI reports. He was being treated at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn until he was unable to pay his medical expenses. After a heated battle between the hospital and immigration advocates, he was deported on Dec. 22, 2010 to a Mexican hospital in an air ambulance in spite of protests from Ojeda Jimenez and his family.

The one-story concrete facility in Oaxaca where Ojeda Jimenez spent the next year was ill-equipped to handle his extensive medical needs--replacing the filters on his ventilator was too costly, so hospital staff merely cleaned them once a day, according to the Chicago Tribune. After suffering two episodes of cardiac arrest and developing a septic infection, Ojeda Jimenez was transferred to a larger hospital in Juchitan Dec. 19, but succumbed to sepsis and pneumonia in the early morning after New Year's Eve.

Ojeda Jimenez's transfer ignited a debate over immigrant rights that was championed by the Mexican consulate in Chicago, whose head official Joaquín Pastrana attended a Mass held in Ojeda Jimenez's honor at a Logan Square church Sunday, along with other activists, according to Fox News Latino.

In light of Ojeda Jimenez's death, Advocate Health Care issued a statement expressing regret for its handling of his case, and announcing plans to work with advocacy groups to reexamine its policies for treating international patients, according to the Tribune. Ojeda Jimenez told the newspaper in February that he feared returning to Mexico because he "need[ed] a lot of things they don't have," a sentiment echoed by relatives and supporters since his death.

Huffpost Chicago

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

Windycitykid
Sadly this was not the first time something like this has happen or will it be the last... As Americans this was not the Moral thing to do but we are always to worried about the legal issue.
"Great minds have purpose, others have wishes" - Washington Irvin

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

drattler
You assume that there was worker comp ins. There probably was none. Mexicans in the US exploit Illegals,legals and everybody else,by contracting jobs with no ins of any type,taking advantage of there oun countrymen,just as the system in Mexico does. The typical response is a argument that the Gringos are at fault,this is an inaccurate shop worn argument. Anyway sorry for the sad situation and the death of this poor fellow.

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

Hey Windy! & Drattler,

I don't think the concern was his undocumented status what so ever, it was economics, pure and simple.  I am going to throw out a couple of things to think about and comment on if you wish.  This is a extremely tragic situation and at first glance appears complicated, but honestly, it breaks down to right and wrong and human responsibility.  We as a nation are better than this, if not we sure as hell should be.

I have written that since August 2010 when i saw the photos of the migrants slaughtered in Tamps, I began my Project 72 that continues today thru my foundation. I was given a harsh education and never again in the slightest way will link the legal status of a migrant in conection with human rights.  They are a completely separate issue as this case should be.

I know the medical system in Mexico and have in this past year grieved over 3 of my foundation kids who died under the dismal care of it.  Oh, yes Mex has some of the finest care in faciilties of cities like DF or Mty, I know because I have had countless kids cured at them on my dime.  I also know those are for the wealthy but the cost is 1/4 or less than here.  This man could have been treated in a Mx hospital with proper equipment for another 6 mos or longer until he was thru with breathing and physical rehab and sent home.  Instead he was warehouse and NO treatment and let to die.  His brain was well and healthy, he coud speak, see and function narmally. Can you imagine?  is this how we treat humans?  Then we are no better than countries we condem who allow this to happen to the poor.

That said, his hospitalization and care was covered by his employer or the state at the tune of over 600K.  Read carefully the articles he was deported WHEN THE MONEY STOPPED.

Why did it stop?
WHere are the big liberal groups that spend millions on fighting Az?
WHere are the Hispanic groups fighting for rights of all latinos?
WHere is the boss do decided 600K was enough? or
Where is the goverment that says to conduct business one needs comp to protect workers?
Why is it ok that no one is repsonsible?

I sound like a friggin liberal as people THINK liberal are...Ha!  I am a proud Mexican-American Conservative, and our numbers are growing in leaps and bounds.  and I will give you all a lesson.  Conservative loudly flap their jaws about human rights but we conservatives out give to causes many times over. and sadly I am yet too meet a liberal running or founding a 501C3 or charity in latin am.  I know as friends over 20 Americans working in the US and Latin America, some with donors money, many like me with their own.  and what was once a curiosity, " wheres the libs" is now a disgust.  We have the duty as humans to help others either by funds, time, or both.  It is what makes us human.

This man was not an illegal human being.  This has nothing to do with immigration

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

chivo...you are correct, but that is not an issue here is it?
The issue is him being kicked out the country in the first place!
We began there and only there, for

IF THE US HAD NOT KICKED HIM OUT HE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN THAT MEXICAN HOSPITAL

That is the issue.  trust me i know about the medical system in Mx and my beef is that the poor (60%) are expendable atrition.  I have fought the system to save lives or to imprive quality, so don't tell me anything I don't know.

its not about that

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

DURANGO1
Buela,

I was following this at the time it happened, as it is my home state. I did watch some reports when it happened trying to drum up support, but there are not as many advocates to help migrants here as it seems. Regarding the workers comp if i remember vaguely it was a side job and as we all know side job dont require insurance or i mean they dont want the extra cost. in my view part of the problem was that he was exposed to the media, if he would of gone to a county hospital there he would of received treatment and nobody would question it since they have a dont ask dont tell. he ended up in Oak lawn which is not the same as chicago, just as a side note chicago has always had a code of dont ask dont tell dont care regarding immigrants. Once in the media some bigots would not let it go, saying this is was wrong etc, so eventually they made enough noise to hasten his departure. its sad that this happened and if he was in Chicago the outcome might have been different.

The immigration advocates here only come out when they want, the only one that is fighting year round is Luis Guttierez, he truly is one of the ones that will get arrested to help. the others are either to busy or shy away from conflict.

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

Durango

first of all....Chicago is a HUGE community of latinos!  if they don't have community leaders or advocates shame on the community.

look, as a former La Raza, MECHA member and a community advocate for human rights in SoCal I can say these are national orgs and issue that are simply too big for the little community worker then you call on Big SIster the national Organization.  If they are limited if they are worth their salt they have a list of resources that can open doors.  Me little Buela, first thing I do is go after those that can open doors after a few projects and get them on board to help when in need.  I can call goverment leaders and get thru, and they can call me when they need help.  My agenda is helping people and being human.  Durango, don't make excuses, please, and don't except what is, please!  First line of change is acknowledgement.

Once a had a woman yell at me during a speech I was giving, actually shouting out spiteful words " Why are you THERE helping kids?  Why are you not helping the kids here in the united states?!?!" aside from wanting to say "I do"  or to her "and what do you do?"  WHat i did say was long and one could hear a pin drop, and I ended it with,

"helping disabled children is the duty of all humans.  The greatest measure of humanness is how we treat the helpless, and should not have city limits, state or country borders".

All that said.  I did not mean for them to pick up the bill necessarily.  but to litigate for the guy and put pressure on leaders to define right and wong and go after the damn employer.  He should of rec a good settlement and arrrangement then transferred to a private facility in Mx.

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

Malo Compañía
When I hear things like this I get so stinking mad.

I'm not pro-illegal, but I am pro-people and I know why politicians push to ignore illegals, because they want to exploit them and pay them nothing while treating them like slaves

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

Malo Compañía
Durango,
I understand it may have been a side job, but when someone does anything for you in your name, you need to have insurance or coverage of that person,  for example, I make sure if I ever have to hire a babysitter to watch my kids, I make darn good and sure they were covered if they got hurt while on the job for me, heck I even have coverage on my homeowners policy if the mailman gets hurt slipping on my front porch.

I catch a lot of slack for being conservative thinking when it comes to dealing with things like this, but I think it's the right thing to do.

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

exactly!  I have it also and it is cheap in an umbrella policy.  cheaper than workmans comp.  but no matter the employer has culpability does not matter if he was a day worker or not.

if he refuses then that is a trip to civil court.  see how fast he pays up then.

and you are correct which is the point i wanted to make clear this is NOT a immigration issue this is conducting ourselves, humanely, do the right thing and this is rotten to the core, IF the powers that be would have just thought bigger both sides could have had a favorable outcome.  He was not going to be in the hospital forever.  A good buddy of my son broke his neck diving off a pier into shallow water, he was in rehab and hospital for a year, went home, married his fiance who stuck with him, and he leads a happy life making the best of it.

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

for the last time my friend

this is a human issue not an immigration issue.  let me ask you this, should he have robbed a bank?  raped?  killed?  because criminals get free medical!  right?

I am not getting into your argument, it has blinders on, you can not see past the undocumented part and ovbviously think he is owed nothing from an employer that was most likely ripping him off.  I could go to many countries and be treated humanely if medical attention was needed.  we can and need to do better!

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

Pinchegringo
Such a sensitive subject and thanks for posted Chiv.

Where do the law of the land meet morality exactly is the question.  TOugh one to answer because there really is no "right" answer unfortunately.  I certainly feel for his family though.

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

ownzor
And then there's cases like this:
http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/01/03/2669593/man-will-leave-fresno-hospital.html
It doesn't look like a work wound, although it may fall in that since the illness was progressing for quite some time before the guy fell at the hospital.

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

DURANGO1
Buela,
I understand its the humane thing to do to treat him till he recovers, but Chicago is lets says desensitized. For example a group here cannot be organized since there are so many factions. I call it Chicago politics, as you may well know Obama is a cut out of chicago politics and well you know....just as a side note back in 05/06 when immigration was on the radio (Spanish) and there was marches organized, i participated and felt swindled. i did it to show support but all it was a pep rally for politicians. i know i did my good deed and did it with the best intentions but people were so emotional it was sad to see it was all for naught, i think it only angered some towns/cities here. (Waukegan became a vicious place for immigrants). also i tried working with durango charitable/mexico organization but its so much politics, i decided when i traveled to donate what i can be it clothes, money etc. i rather see who gets it and not who likes it.....funny to mention humanity just the othher day i read a man died in a bank while people looked on in dgo, i wonder if they are that desensitized by all they see. i know here you aid people anywhere when they are in medical durress.

Malo/Buela, a little tidbit while in school i had to research insurance companies aand turns out that some dont cover injuries at home for a hired hand. the whole mailman milkman fall that is incidental so that is covered but not the hired, then again these were 4 major carriers. I did a straw poll of ten good companies and 6 didnt cover the hired i was just schocked at the 4 majors. I also learned that if i punch somebody my umbrella coverage covers me.   yeah most people ignore umbrellas but they are a couple hundred a years.

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

I was not speaking of your Durango...not personally i know your heart.  I am frustrated at liberals and yes i know well Cheatcago politics unchanged for generations, but who votes them in?  who is so easily sucked in by their rhectoric of compassion and they do shit for people all for themselves and it should be no surprised to anyone how Obama saw the US in the economic toilet and flushed us out to the sea.  He is OF cheatcago a dyed in the wool northern good ol boy.  Mexicans and latinos are understanding they have a choice we are not born catholic or democrat, we are orn with a free will.

as for being in Cheatcago, try SoCal or Fla or NV or most of our country, we all have issues and that is never an excuse we must look in the mirror for responsibility.  what i hate is unhumanness, i give no free pass and allow no exucses.  this young man should have been given better.  not fair for a society to foot the bill but totally inhumane to send him not fully treated to a place he beeged them not to as he would die.  Imagine his broken body, and broken heart and spirit just knowing each day he is human warehoused to the death.  look at his beautiful face, those haunting tears.

There was a solution but he really had no one digging for him, the help he was getting was woeful and disgraceful from the US COMMUNITY.

bottom line i can't say it too much..the employer had some sort of insurance and should have been sued in civil court if necessary.  as a business owner i know this is fact.  as for going to a county hospital and being quiet, well thats all well and good and done here at UCLA and USC etc but this issue has been too long shoved under the rug.

It is the shame of our country that we deport unhumanely.  like central american migrants IN TO MEXICO
they are not from Mex and will be harmed, raped, forced into cartels or killed.

Nice

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

wow!  I had pancreatitis in the late 80s i thought i had an ulcer by the time i hit the ER i was bleeding badly and in shock, ICU for 3 weeks reg floor 2.  I came close to death and at times wanted to.  extremely painful and heavy pain meds help but for me not nearly effective.

My cousins wife had it and did die in 5 days.  she was 32.  They told me if I got it again i most likely would not survive.  so a year i cannot comprehend.  shows some places do the humane thing.  but honestly it would have been cheaper to send him to MTY, in a safe medical transport where they have some of the best care in the world or DF.  they would have saved 60-75% by donating his medical in that way.  it should never be one sided.  looking at the big picture and be fair and humane to both sides.

my dos-  nice story as a comparitive, thanks for sharing ownzor, paz chivis

Re: Undocumented Man Paralyzed at work in Chicago, Deported & Dies

JesusTheMoose
Buela, I agree that the young man's situation was tragic and it found an awful end. Most consoling is that his suffering has ended. Beyond that, I find his deportation deplorable. He should have been allowed to stay for humanitarian reasons. Legal moves are not necessarily moral just like his deportation. I've heard that septsis is a horrible and painful way to die. I may be delusional but I feel that our society should have a covenant with the workers that contribute to our economic fabric or at least something more than what's offered by the cold black letters of law that's blind humanity.
The only object of liberty is life. -- G. K. Chesterton

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -- Benjamin Franklin