USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

55 Year Old Virgin Gay
VIDEOS and article:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/americas/el-chapo-guzman-us-extradition/

Jordan, who spent more than 30 years with the DEA,
was not shocked by this week's news that Chapo had escaped.

"I'm surprised it took a year for him to escape," he said.
"Before he was allowed to escape."

Murillo Karam of Mexico said the USA could have Guzman in 300 or 400 years,
when he finished serving his time in Mexico.

"El Chapo knows that if he's sent to the U.S. prison,
the luxury hotel he built for himself in the Mexican prison
is not going to happen."

Depressing :-(

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

the reality is the US never issued a formal request.  I have been following the process to see when they would.  Forbes said they did but later retracted that.  I see a couple of outlets said there was a recent request but I cant verify that is true.

if anyone has supporting information that there was an extradition request, please send to me

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

55 Year Old Virgin Gay
the reality is the US never issued a formal request.

This is surprising to me.

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Soliado
As recently as January 2015, the U.S. government published a statement in which they stated they were in the process of formally filing extradition paperwork with the government of Mexico. However, the U.S. never followed through with the formal extradition paperwork. It seems that a change of opinion occurred within the Justice Department or because of political considerations, the U.S. backed off of the extradition request.

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Ed-Oak

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Most people are not aware of this.  I don't know why, a simple search is all that is needed.

yet I have seen many people commenting, as this post does,  that Mexico was "holding him"....yet there was no formal extradition request.

 there eventually would be as 10 indictments exists against him in the US, but as for now, nothing.

Did you see Lucio's new post?  Anyone that believes EPN admin was not in collusion, may as well believe in the tooth fairy and santa claus.

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Admin yes, I believe 100% elements of his administration were complicit in the escape.... but do you believe Pena Nieto and his top aides sanctioned this, or let it occur?  I don't believe that, but I'd defer to your opinion for the most part on the subject.

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Milenio is reporting the arely says the united states submitted the extradiction request on june 25.

I could not find the report where she says that, nor find the requests on the agency websites.

If anyone can locate it please let me know so I can upload to scribd.  there is no extradition on there either.

seems like at least ONE US paper would report this.

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

no, I believe epn is dirty, but he is a puppet

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Rubbertoe
Yeah but a cute little puppet.

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

ay rubbertoe

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

reforma is reporting this as well!

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Ed-Oak

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Sintek
Now while I feel this may land in the realm of conspiracy and unsubstantiated claims

The real reason for Mexico refusing to hand over El Chapo is the fear of him talking and implicating 30 years of Mexican politicians and insititutions who were complicit and turned an eye away from his group.

Hundreds if not thousands of politicians owe their careers to this man and his group, and a huge amount of them would rationally choose a few years of embarassment, as opposed to the US and Interpol effectively making them prisoners within Mexico, along with family members and friends.

Of course its not like the US is gonna go to Mexico and arrest every politician and cop associated within the CDS, but bank freezes, warrants and orders of seizure and arrest for their US living relatives is within the realm of possibility for them.

The US I feel ultimately may forgo requesting the Mexican goverments blessings and go on a search for El Chapo using their military assets.

I can only imagine the "OH SH!T" face on every Mexican politicians face should the US announce the captured El Chapo during a seal raid or something.
Jay

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

Jay
The was posted today fwiw:

Mexico to Process U.S. Request for Guzman – If He’s Caught

MEXICO CITY – Mexico will process the U.S. extradition request for drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, who broke out of prison last weekend, provided the fugitive is apprehended, a powerful lawmaker said Friday.

“Yes, I personally asked about it, and they responded that the process is initiated and it would continue were this criminal recaptured,” Adriana Gonzalez, chair of the Congressional National Security Committee, told Radio Formula, relating what she learned Thursday during a briefing with Cabinet officials.

Attorney General Arely Gomez told lawmakers Thursday that a formal U.S. request for Guzman’s extradition was received on June 25.

Guzman escaped from the Altiplano I federal prison in central Mexico last Saturday night through a 1.5-kilometer (nearly one-mile) tunnel that led to a house.

“I believe that the issue of extradition also played an important role to accelerate the process of the creation of this tunnel,” Chairwoman Gonzalez said.

The Sinaloa cartel boss had been held at the prison in Mexico state since his arrest on Feb. 22, 2014.

The AG office has the task of “bringing to justice” whoever helped Guzman break out of prison, Gonzalez said.

“We are very clear that, from inside and from outside, he was aided to be able to make this escape,” she said. “I am convinced that the use of technology was necessary to be able to locate the site of the hole with such precision.”

This is not the first time “El Chapo” (Shorty) has busted out of a high-security prison.

On Jan. 19, 2001, with just seven months remaining on a sentence for bribery, Guzman escaped from the Puente Grande penitentiary in the western state of Jalisco, pulling off the Hollywood-style jailbreak by hiding in a cart full of dirty laundry in front of guards.

Guzman’s cartel rose to become one of the main sources of illicit drugs entering the United States.

The Mexican drug kingpin’s wealth led to his name regularly appearing on Forbes magazine’s list of global billionaires.

Source: http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=2392569&CategoryId=14091

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

_Jack

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

choco
Yep, I remember that Chapo's escape from Puente Grande was prompted by another US extradition attempt.

That seems to make him want to get the hell out of Dodge, so to speak.

And imho it looks to me as if the vertical tunnel from the shower was rather hastily completed... no supporting beams as in the vertical tunnel at the house. Or maybe that was just to keep the noise down as well.

One thing I can't figure out from the photos of Chapo's shower... there is a chunk of concrete that has been removed, but some of the writeups say he removed "the drain grate".... I don't see anything with a drain grate... Has any one else?  thanks.

Maybe I will also ask this in the thread with the photos.
JMB

Re: USA: Why did Mexico insist on holding 'El Chapo' ?

JMB
That whole government is pretty much a joke.