US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

stevectpa
https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-citizen-disappears-during-group-hike-near-baja-california

April 17, 2019

By Elizabeth Llorente.  Fox News

A U.S. citizen hiking near San Felipe Mexico has been missing since Thursday.

The woman, Kat Hammontre, 68, set out on the hike with a group near the desert in the Mexican state of Baja California, but at one point hurt her ankle or foot and told others she'd stay put and await their return.

When the group returned from the short hike, neither Hammontre nor her dog was there, The Seattle Times reported.

Her husband, Warren Sundquist, who was waiting in a car, said she did not return to the vehicle, either. Searches have been carried out by local groups as well as the Mexican military, the paper said.

"When they came back about 90 minutes later, she was gone," Hammontre's friend Victoria Langsett told the San Diego NBC News affiliate. "There was no trace of her or the dog, no sign of a wild animal attack."

Hammontre, originally from Seattle, has lived in Mexico for the last two decades. She wrote a blog titled "Kat’s Korner" and taught English to children in the community. She traveled back to Seattle often to visit family and friends.

Hammontre’s daughter, Desiree Blair, who lives in Spokane, Wash., described her mother as an experienced hiker and a tough person.

She said her mother smokes and if lost, would likely have started a fire to alert rescuers.

Blair said she is heading to San Felipe to take part in the search.

On Hammontre's Facebook page, friends posted that search dogs had been taken to where she'd last been seen.

Her husband said he was accompanying authorities in the search.

Elizabeth Llorente is Senior Reporter for FoxNews.com, and can be reached at Elizabeth.Llorente@Foxnews.com. Follow her on Twitter @Liz_Llorente.

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

I'm sure I've read her blog once or twice as 'Kat's Korner' really rings a bell that I think I may have read in Baja Insider or another 1 similar for Ex-Pats that live in Baja.
Her dog was missing along with her so sounds like she was picked up along with the dog!Not good.Wrong place at the wrong time?Anyone heard anything?

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

Chava

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

BajaCheryl

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

Parro
Southern Rockies, Guadalupe Peak, La Cueva Tanks, southern AZ and norther Sierra Madre is high and dry.  You better have water and GPS or a map.  Found a guy who got lost and if it wasn't for the water I was carrying, he wouldn't have made it.  Trails in USA are fairly well marked, Mexico not so much.  I remember a Boy Scout troop when I was young, rafting down the Rio Grande in Big Bend.  They got turned around and lost in Mexico!  Hopefully they find her . . . sad for sure . . . Easy to get off course for anyone without cell coverage in this day and age.  Experienced hiker I believe and feel I am, but this feels like a accident, not an incident.  God bless her!

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

I thought she stayed behind where they were parked and wasn't there on their return or did I interpet that wrong and boy does it get hot in that area more so than Baja Sur this time of year.

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

Parro
" . . set out on a hike and at a certain point hurt her ankle. . . ".  To me, she started the hike and at some point couldn't go any further due to her injury. I believe she wasn't at the trailhead.  I believe you would need to know how far the hike is to determine if anything suspicious happened or was an accident.

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

Chava
Still missing...........

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

Parro
Yes, last news that I see is on 4/18/19 then it goes quiet.  3 weeks ago, not a good sign.

Still missing .  . .. . ... ... .

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

Parro
Some of the articles;

4/14/19  - BajaNomad. Kat and her body are missing

4/17/19 - American woman disappears while on holiday in Mexico

4/17/19 - US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California Mexico

4/16/19 - Search for missing Americans expat from San Felipe in Devils Canyon

Nothing else.

Not good - bless her soul

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

Cirilo
saw this one on the reddit missing 411 forum

https://www.reddit.com/r/Missing411/

Missing 411 is a series of books videos and articles about how people dissapear out in the mountains / forests etc seemingly out of nowwhere and with no trace. Some people have re-appered with no recollection of what happened or with weird memories.

some of the strange cases

https://www.reddit.com/r/Missing411/comments/8rcg8o/what_is_the_strangest_411_case_you_have_read_about/

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

tideout55
I hope this works out well.

I was thinking that if she was already injured and couldn't walk with the group then she probably couldn't have/wouldn't have walked very far either? You'd think they'd have found a body by now or the wrong people came across her.

Re: US citizen disappears during group hike near Baja California, Mexico

Ciro
Missing 411 I have been following that for a few years.  Creepy is a understatement