US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

slayer421
From CNN: Link below

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/30/us/mexico-us-marine-detained/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

A Marine imprisoned in Mexico is being treated more humanely since being moved to a new prison, his mother said Friday, but she is "mortified" by the alleged abuse previously dished out by guards at another penitentiary.

"He called me last night. He's in much better conditions, though still imprisoned," Jill Tahmooressi said. "He considers his current position to be safer than what he experienced at the state penitentiary called La Mesa."

Previously, a close friend of Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi's told CNN that the Marine was in a Mexican jail cell, his body sometimes tied to a bed by all four limbs.

Tahmooressi, 25, has been in jail for almost two months, accused of entering Mexico illegally with three weapons. His family insists that he legally owned the firearms and crossed the border accidentally.

It is illegal to bring guns into Mexico.
Marine's next hearing still weeks away

His mother says there's "absolutely no chance" he intended to drive into Mexico with the guns. That day, March 31, Tahmooressi had walked across the border into Tijuana to patronize an establishment popular with Marines from Camp Pendleton, she said.

"So he had no intention of then driving into Mexico. He had just walked out of Mexico," she said.

But when the Marine left the stateside parking lot near the border, he took a wrong turn, thinking he was heading north, but the road curved around to the border, and there was no turnaround point, Jill Tahmooressi said.

Her son realized his mistake, immediately disclosed to the border guards that he had weapons and requested that he be allowed to turn around, she said.

"The first thing he said to the first person that stopped him was, 'I got here accidentally; please let me turn around. I have three guns in my truck,' " his mother said, adding that a 911 tape backs up that story.

Fight for freedom

Although several U.S. lawmakers and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry have weighed in on the case, the fate of the Afghanistan war veteran remains in limbo.

Jill Tahmooressi said no one from the State Department in Washington had contacted her, but she heard from Bill Whitaker, chief of American citizens services at the U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana.

"I immediately let Mr. Whitaker know that Andrew was abused at the hands of the guards," she said.

Among the allegations she's heard, she said, are that the guards at La Mesa stripped her son, handcuffed his hands and feet to a bedpost, left him standing overnight and hit him so many times in the stomach that he couldn't breathe.

"I'm mortified," she said. "That was at the hands of the guards that were to be protecting him. He's an inmate at a prison. You would expect the guard to protect their inmates, but instead, he had nearly been executed by the gang members that were in the cell."

Making it even more difficult to cope is Tahmooressi's PTSD, she said, and one of his close friends told CNN he was having trouble with the condition before being locked up.

"His PTSD started from combat. Now, he's got a whole other load of PTSD that he is going to get when he gets out of jail," said Sam Vranicar, who served with Tahmooressi in Afghanistan during a 2010 tour.

Tahmooressi has been able to speak with his friend when he calls Vranicar's house collect from the Mexican jail. The two have talked about 10 times, Vranicar said.

Vranicar said he's astonished that a Marine -- or anyone -- could be treated the way his friend describes.

"Being tied to a bed in four-point restraints and joint manipulation restraints -- like ways that a POW would be treated ... it's just ridiculous," Vranicar said. "I don't think it's right for any American to be in a Mexican jail treated like that. They are our neighboring ally, and it's inhumane."

'A different guy'

Vranicar had urged Tahmooressi to move from Florida to San Diego so that he could help him seek treatment for PTSD.

"As soon as he got out here, I realized that the Andrew that I used to know has gone," Vranicar said. "He became a different guy."

Vranicar and his wife noticed his friend was acting distant.

"I took him to La Jolla, he got diagnosed and he started seeing people on a regular basis," Vranicar said.

Not long afterward, he said, Tahmooressi made the wrong turn at an exit close to the Mexican border.

He had all his belongings, including his guns, with him, Vranicar said.

"It wasn't just his guns that he crossed with," he said. "It was everything he had. All his worldly possessions."

His mother said Tahmooressi was searching for permanent housing and often stayed in San Diego hotels.

It's unclear exactly when Tahmooressi will see a courtroom again.

On Wednesday, a judge started and then quickly suspended a hearing after Tahmooressi fired his attorneys, a Mexican judicial source said.

The source told CNN that Tahmooressi's next court hearing will be June 4, but Jill Tahmooressi said the next hearing is still weeks away, as it will take time for the new attorney to be briefed.

The case has drawn attention from U.S. lawmakers and Kerry, who told CNN on Wednesday that he spoke with Mexican authorities about it last week.

"We are working on determining whether or not certain evidence that has been presented is meeting the standard that's necessary to be able to hold that young Marine, and we're trying to find out exactly what the fact pattern is, but we are working on that," he said.

911 call: 'I crossed the border by accident'

"I'm at the border of Mexico right now. And my problem is, I, I crossed the border by accident, and I have three guns in my truck, and they're trying to take my guns from me," the Marine told a 911 dispatcher in March.

In a recording of the call released by U.S. Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-California, Tahmooressi appears unsure of whether he crossed the border and exasperated that Mexican authorities are trying to take his weapons.

"There's nothing I can help you with then, sir," the 911 dispatcher says after learning he's in Mexico. "I do apologize. You're not on American soil anymore."

Tahmooressi asks whether authorities have a right to take his guns.

The dispatcher tells him he should have seen large warning signs on the freeway saying it's illegal to enter Mexico with guns.

"There are warning signs that do say that as you're driving down the freeway, before you enter Mexico," she says.

"Yeah, I was hoping there would be a turnaround point," he says, "but there never was."

He had intended to drive to meet friends in San Ysidro, California, before he was arrested.

Letter to lawmakers

The Marine has tried to appeal to U.S. lawmakers.

"I accidentally drove into Mexico with 3 guns ... a rifle (AR-15), a .45 cal pistol and a 12 gauge pump shotgun with no intensions (sic) on being in Mexico or being involved in any criminal activities," Tahmooressi wrote in a statement of innocence to Hunter, who sits on the House Armed Services Committee.

"I have rights to all 3 weapons," he wrote. "They are under my name. ... Please help me."

Hunter is among several lawmakers who have petitioned for Tahmooressi's release.

"Mexico's Attorney General is in a position to deal with Andrew's case and ensure its quick resolution," Hunter said in a statement this month. "It is necessary that the AG intervene and expedite proceedings at the very least. And so far there's been no validation from Mexico that Andrew didn't make a directional mistake at the border."

Jill Tahmooressi started a White House petition May 1 that demands her son's release. As of early Friday, it had more than 81,000 signatures. If 19,000 more people sign it by Saturday, it will spur a response by President Barack Obama.

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

WonderBread
What an idiot! I would have just stopped my car and walked out, like the US customs guys are going to tow his car to Mexico.  I would have told them to get fucked, got out, and told them to eat shit.  Besides, Mexican customs is a joke, even when they have told me in the past to pull over, I would just ignore them and keep on going.  I assume there have been changes, but why cross, just get the hell out of the car before crossing and have the US idiots tow his car away.
TRC

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

TRC
LOL, I saw two older white cowboys drive into Mexico on a Juarez bridge with a 30 30 on a rack in the back window once. They were pretty lucky the Mexican Border Guard chewed their asses out and sent them straight to the turn around. This was 8 years ago.

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

TexcocoDeMora
US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

I believe the family and friends will say just about anything to get the attention of the U.S public. I'm sure the men is fine, I'm also surprise he was a marine because he cry to much! Specially when he said MOM I'M NOT GONNA MAKE IT, I'M IN PRISON WITH KILLERS.

A couple of friend of mine were arrested and did some time in a Tijuana jail, and they said the conditions of the prison is bad, you don't get special treatment, but in the end is just another jail.

I wish for his safe return but it is funny how every time an American gets arrested in Mexico, relatives and friends exaggerate way to much, like if they will die the next day.
http://narcconoticias.blogspot.com/
JMB

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

JMB
Should have stayed in Florida. Its not like there are no VA services there.

Being diagnosed with PTSD in Cali, his firearms would be forfeit anyway; particularly the AR & pistol. His friends are stupid. They know he isn't together right now, yet they see he is riding around with firearms. Why not put them in a safe place for him?

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

I seen whiteboys pee in their pants and do the fetal position and cry like babys in mexican jails theyre just not use to seing so many mexicans thats it i seen them doing it in la county jail many times calling home crying straight bull !
JMB

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

JMB
There's no comparison between US and Mexico jails/prisons. Those are LatAm jails; filthy, crowded, & they don't coddle prisoners. Oh, & if you aren't "paisano", you're fvcked unless you can find people from your country of birth to group with.

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

What do you expect club med its mexico be ready for hell when you go in there. I even had a pet rat  size of a cat.and if you act like the way your talking you wont survive to see daylight my friend guaranteed !!!

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

nacho

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

deelucky1
Im a true beleiver of you do the crime you do the time but im in no postion  to put anybody away its just my opinion.

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

EL GUAPO
News out today that a receipt for the Hotel Nelson which overlooks the zona in TJ was found with idiots name on it for a room rented the day he was arrested.

He claims to have walked into TJ, spent the day doing Christian pursuits, according to his mother before waking back to his truck and beginning the odyssey

Think about it folks. Hotel Nelson has been there for as long as the zona de tolerancia in TJ. He rents a room for the night, yet walks back across to the US to sleep in his truck with all his worldly possessions?

If the Customs and PGR boys found a key in his possession when they booked him, his ass is toast and his namby pamby claim of accidently crossing the border goes with it
Contributing journalist to SiriusXM Road Dog Channel #106 and the award winning "The Lockridge Report", Member of TWNA, owner of Mexico Trucker Online,

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

K_Mennem
Sounds about right.

Seems like the guy had a screw loose. In the end they will likely let him go, just like the guy in Reynosa last year.

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

El?2012
He was trying to sell his weapons...His AR 15 is one of the most beautiful I have seen and I own/see alot! He was probably low on cash and stressing out and seen it as a silver lining to the move that ended badly...He wanted to arm enemies of the state and humanity then he can suffer if you ask me...He disgraced himself and the mighty name of the United States Marine Corps.
Libertad y paz en Michoacán!!

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

Theres your man nacho
nacho wrote
@ deeluckyone

Deeluckyone, I believe a person taking pleasure in the suffering of others is called sadism.   I do not know what condition a person who finds it funny when someone who is clearly suffering from a mental disorder is thrown in jail in a foreign country, as defined by DSMIV, is.  And while I cannot relate to your feelings, I am certain that a number of others can.  I am sure that some people watch Border Patrol and laugh when Mexican nationals cry when they are caught and are shipped back to their families.

I will share a short story of something that I experienced in my professional career.  I bet you will find this one funny.   I had a client who entered the country illegally.  One day, this guy was riding his bicycle and was hit by a car.  He went to the ER complaining of shoulder pain.  The next day he went to work at his $3 an hour job assembling pallets, a job that he had for at least two years.  The pain didn't go away and he continued to get treatment with a physical therapist.  6 months after the accident the pain became unbearable because he had a torn rotator cuff which necessitated surgical intervention.  He came into my office and told me he needed the surgery but that his boss refused to give him the 5 (unpaid) days off needed to have the surgery and recover.  I called his boss, as an attorney, and explained the situation to him.  He said "don't worry about it".  My client had the surgery and when he returned to work less than one week later, he was told that he was fired.  I called up his employer again to find out what happened, screamed at him actually.  About three weeks later, the client was picked up by ICE, at his house and subsequently deported.  I wonder if his boss was the one who called them???

This year, I was referred a client who is in prison.  The guy is a Mexican national who entered the country illegally.  He got arrested for robbery, a felony.  He is 19 and had a fight with a couple guys in his neighborhood while walking home with some of his friends.  I understand that it is common to target "illegal aliens" on Friday evenings for robbery because they get paid in cash and are hesitant to contact the police.  On that night, my client and his buddies got the better of their assailants.  The cops came, the English speaking group told the cops that my client attempted to rob them and then beat the shit out of them.  When my client got to the station he gave a fake social security number.  He was appointed a public defender who advised him to plead guilty to assault in exchange for probation.  The judge accepted his plea but probation followed up on his status.  He is currently in jail awaiting deportation.  It is my understanding that he still owes certain people who helped smuggle him into this country a few thousand dollars.  He was wrong, he should not have lied to the police nor should he have lied to his public defender but he was simply walking home at night and defended himself.  I surely do not find his situation funny.

I have one last story that I am sure you will find hysterical.  I had another South American client who worked 6 days a week (60 hours a week) washing dishes at a diner for $300 a week.  On his day off he decided to help his brother (who was also in the country illegally) by working on a private sanitation truck.  The day was almost over when he hopped off the truck to throw some garbage bags in the back of the truck.  His brother started backing up the truck to turn it around.  His brother lost track of my client while backing up and somehow came into contact with him, pinning him between the steel back bumper and a tree.  My client was hit with so much force that all the blood vessels in his eyes burst.  Two weeks later, after he regained consciousness, I visited him in the ICU.  The first thing he asked me to do was to contact his job at the diner and tell them what happened.  He had worked there for a number of years and thought that he had established a number of strong relationships.  The purpose of my call was not to demand wages, tell them I was reporting them for anything or object to the obscenely low pay he got in violation of the law.  It was to tell them that my client was now paralyzed and give them the hospital information so his coworkers could visit him at the hospital.  Not only did they deny knowing him at all, no one went to visit him.  Even though it was an accident, his brother lost his job and my client was denied workers comp.

I thought you would find these stories funny because, like the "whiteboy" in a Mexican prison, these individuals were caused to suffer purely because someone of another race/ethnicity took advantage of their difference in circumstances.  Like you, I have seen a number of people cry for like reasons, actually all of the individuals above cried.   I also hope you do not end up in a similar situation one day.  Hopefully if you ever are in a similar situation, people wont think it is so funny.  However, people with similar degrees of mental illness such as yourself, rely upon the kindness of others and exploit it.

One more thing, if you tried that "whiteboy" nonsense where I am at, you would be the one in the fetal position and it wouldn't come from "whiteboys" it would come from your own compadres.  But I am sure you already know that.

theres your man nacho !

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

deelucky1
Since the U.S.A is showing weakness i wonder what MEXICO can get for this guy.

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

deelucky1
Yea i dont know why he thought the guy was suffering but thats what he does for a living.
i seen a pic of the marine getting a visit from his lawyer he was laughing like when little kids get in trouble

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

deelucky1
I know some guy who got 3 years jail time for trying to cross 9mm and 6 boxes ammo I doubt he will do anything close to that does anybody know what he's facing I know he's waiting araignment

Re: US Marine In Mexican Jail "Suffering Inhumane" Treatment; Friend Says

EL GUAPO
His mommy told Greta in an interview that sonny boy had $100,000.00 in the bank.