Two shot yesterday

BCS surfer
I hear an entire beach full of tourists were diving to the sand at Cerritos yesterday afternoon, just south of Todos Santos. The shooting was in the public parking lot. Two guys from la Paz were killed by someone driving a black Yukon with California plates. And news on this?

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl
It would have been in the news..... but I called Cerritos anyway and nothing happened.

Re: Two shot yesterday

cheryl

not necessarily!

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl
Ok it's you...I got your message like an email and it seeemed random. Sorry, I am not so good at this.

Most everything makes it into the news but I only see Cabo and La Paz - not much comes out or TS or Pescadero.  Todos Santos and Pescadero are very quiet.  Cerritos is is in Pescadero..  Some things dont make the news because the media doesnt have the info OR someone is trying to hide it.  But I didnt find this is the news.  It would have been in the Tribunal yesterday and I dont get their posts.

Re: Two shot yesterday

BCS Surfer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What anyone can do that wishes to confirm or dispel such rumors is call the consulate or embassy.  Email is even better.  The respond quickly.  They have a consulate in cabos, and the embassy is in Tijuana.  The embassy can speak more freely, and has greater info but the consulate can confirm.  I confirmed the murder of an American in Mazatlan and other places in Mexico.  Via email.  and was replied to within 24 hrs.  and it was a holiday weekend.

Just google "nearest embassy or consulate for _________________.
and the info will pop up.

Not everything makes the media.  I have known of killings and attempted killings of mexicans, verified by physicians and federal agencies "off the record"  that to this day never made the news. also americans.  but the embassy will confirm Americans.

To confirm an american killed but lacking info in the media I wrote the following to the US Embassy, the death was confirmed within hours.

I am writing a follow up story about O'Neil McGean, the American killed in Mazatlan whose funeral will commence in D.C. on December 3rd. While researching information regarding the suspects arrested and charged for his kidnapping and murder I was told about another American that was killed in Mazatlan sometime in November. I have a little information about the man and the murder but have failed to confirm the story.

I am asking for a denial or confirmation of the second Mazatlan murder for our post.

Kind regards,

Chivis Martinez

Borderland Beat

Re: Two shot yesterday

thanks cheryl....i sent an email to the consulate.

Re: Two shot yesterday

cheryl updated her remarks:

it happened….we called a friend over there and she said it didn’t and then I spoke with another friend who was having lunch in the restaurant there and heard it but didn’t see it until after.  She said it was a quiet day at that beach----until that happened.

Re: Two shot yesterday

BCS surfer
Yes, it definitely happened, I spoke with friends who witnessed it. I was just hoping someone here would have contacts in la Paz for more details on who was killed, what gang etc. It was an execution on a tourist beach. I posted here because I felt people should hear about it, not to ask if it really happened. But thanks for the replies. If I hear more details I will post.

Re: Two shot yesterday

DURANGO1
Thanks for sharing if only more people would share. Things like this happen but it gets swept under the rug. I was considering going to Cabo’s again but might wait a bit. Went in 2010 and enjoyed it so this might not be much of a deterrent.....

Re: Two shot yesterday

Cabo is as safe as it gets, odds are extremely low anything would happen.  Though, I believe insecurity is rising.

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl
Hi Durango1, please dont base your decision on your vacation spot on random insidents.  Come to Cabo an enjoy an amazing vacation.

It's true we are havig issues in some of the poorer neighborhoods and there have been 3 incidents where the occurances were within the tourist zone.  However, this hasnt happened lately and the marines are at everyentry point.  I dont think it 's necesary but their are doing their jobs.

I know a lot more than what I have time to write - but cabo remains safe.  I am in the tourism industry and work with corporate groups who run their incentives here.  Yes, there are some groups that cant come until the warning is down but (they say) tourism is up 3% this year.  Our American Insurance business has been affected but other (automotove, Tech, Pharma and Canadian) have not.  It's my ethical duty to be honest about the destination.

Has Cabo changed?  of course...our population is double now but the differnce here is the tourists are not the targets. Having said that, 10 years ago you could be face down drunk and no one would touch your wallet.  Those days are gone.  Cabo is safe as long as you travel wisely and we always know what that
means.  And dont buy drugs - not sayig you would but people say they are wary and them they turn into hipocrites and contibute.

Look at whats happening in the states...Las Vegas?  That's scary.....

Anyway, if you want to send me a private mail I would be happy to tell you about all the great new things andd some grat old ones we have going on here now.

Cheryl

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl
oh and sorry about mt spelling..was in a hurreeeeee....=)

Re: Two shot yesterday

100% it's criminal on criminal.I just wish they would do it in a discreet area rather than public places like most criminals in most countries do.You just don't want to be in the crossfire or the wrong place at the wrong time.
       La Paz has changed drastically than years prior.Every 2nd spot on the malecon is a bar.There's like not double but 5 or 6 times more bars than just a few years ago.There isn't enough tourist business there to support THAT many bars and even the small places you are asked by strangers if you want to buy coke or meth.It is pretty obvious they are not in the  booze business but the drug business.Also there is a lot more newer vehicles driving around than in years previous.It looks pretty high end for a city that doesn't attract near the #'s that Cabo does and maybe even less international tourists than Loreto.

Re: Two shot yesterday

I stayed at Costa Baja when I was there in 2015, which is a huge, high end resort, which was all financed before the explosion of violence, so I do think there is legit money in La Paz, but I also agree that narcoumendo is all along the malecon, but moreso in the back colonias.

Someone was also executed at a mariscos spot along the malecon I ate late one night, that summer. Which is a telling sign, as that was right on the main strip and very busy.

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl
Costa Baja is beautiful and there's lots to see and do in La Paz.

We go to La Paz for fun, but to be honest I dont feel 100% certain I wouldn't be witness to something.  My kids go there for fun and I dont worry about them and we take our groups to swim with the whale sharks.  But I wouldn't propose a City Tour, for example.  You are right....almost everthing happens in the less fortunate neighborhoods, but it's not a charmoing walk on the malecon really anymore.

The world is a different place now but you have to live your life.  I was in Las Vagas a week after the shooting and found myself looking for the least crowded spots on the sidewalk to walk.  Need to work on that.

Re: Two shot yesterday

Cheryl that was the most awesome thing I ever did in La Paz on my last trip was swim with the whale sharks.It was much better than I anticipated.I would say it was in the top 5 things I have ever enjoyed in my life!BTW is that oversized 1 whale shark that's double the size of all the rest still lingering in La Paz Bay?Costa Baja does look beautiful too.It's on a cliff on the way to Pichilingue on the winding road to the many beaches of La Paz ending at the ferry terminal and that famous mushroom rock.

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl
Yes it's amazing...there isn't a really big one, they are all different ages and maybe you saw a big adult male.  They are the biggest fish on the planet and can get up to 60 feet long.  Right now they are limiting the tours  - our suppliers have 16 less licenses issued this year and a shorter season from October to April and it used to be until May.  It's definately bucket list worthy.  right now they are swimming with 10 - 12 animals at one time.

Re: Two shot yesterday

actually cheryl is my source and what I have posted is from her.

The consulate press office just emailed me for a phone number to talk about the shootings.  I think I will get some info and make a post..

cabo is super safe and has a homicide rate that is to be envied  it is so low.  But there has been some violence.

I check state department stats going back 10 years and  no american homicides.  plenty of drownings.  so I would worry more of drug OD and drowning.

about a month ago i was contacted about the two Americans disappearing.  I will ask about both.  the embassy gives a ton of info, but no names.  I was going into Tamps, Reynosa and Matamoros a few years back when it was even worse than now, about 2010, I called them and said I was delivering supplies to several schools.  they read off the 30 incident reports and wow I did not go.  stuff that never, ever gets in the news

It would be a great blog to create like an advisory blog with the most recent incidents involving americans in various regions.

Re: Two shot yesterday

Chivis where do the Embassy's or Consulates get their crime or incidents from if a lot of them aren't reported by any news source then?Also your last paragraph sounds like a great idea.I'm sure lots on here would be interested even if they're not tourists they still consider travelling to visit family.

RE: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl

I agree!

Cheryl Miller | Senior Sales Manager

Terramar, a DMC Network Company

Los Cabos Office

Paseo de Las Misiones, L-3, Mz-1, Campo de Golf,

San José del Cabo, B.C.S, C.P. 23440

T + 52 (624) 142.9200  Ext. 1223

C + 52 (624) 147.0225

US T  +1 (855) 405.6722 & 408.3772

[hidden email]  www.terramardestinations.com

IMAGEN

Los Cabos – Panama - Cancun

The DMC Network has more accredited DMCs (ADMC) than any other DMC Consortium.
Through our alliance with Ovation Global DMC
www.ovationdmc.com, our reach extends
across Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and South America.

Aviso de Privacidad

GRUPOS INCENTIVOS TERRAMAR, S.A. DE C.V., con domicilio en Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 29.5, Plaza Las Palmas L-35 A,

Col. Jesús Castro Agundez, San José del Cabo, B.C.S. 23440, México, es responsable del tratamiento de sus datos personales.

Usted puede conocer nuestro aviso integral en  https://www.terramardestinations.com/en/los-cabos/terramarpolicy

Si esta comunicación la recibió por error, considérela confidencial y destrúyala.

Please click and consult our  Privacy Policy. Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended only for the person addressed. It may

contain confidential information and/or privileged material. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender immediately

and delete the information from your computer. Please do not copy or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents

to any other person.

Chivis where do the Embassy's or Consulates get their crime or incidents from if a lot of them aren't reported by any news source then?Also your last paragraph sounds like a great idea.I'm sure lots on here would be interested even if they're not tourists they still consider travelling to visit family.

http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/Two-shot-yesterday-tp4098079p4098126.html

To unsubscribe from Two shot yesterday, click here.
NAML