Two shot yesterday

BCS surfer
I hear an entire beach full of tourists were diving to the sand at Cerritos yesterday afternoon, just south of Todos Santos. The shooting was in the public parking lot. Two guys from la Paz were killed by someone driving a black Yukon with California plates. And news on this?

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl

Re: Two shot yesterday

cheryl

not necessarily!

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl

Re: Two shot yesterday

BCS Surfer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What anyone can do that wishes to confirm or dispel such rumors is call the consulate or embassy.  Email is even better.  The respond quickly.  They have a consulate in cabos, and the embassy is in Tijuana.  The embassy can speak more freely, and has greater info but the consulate can confirm.  I confirmed the murder of an American in Mazatlan and other places in Mexico.  Via email.  and was replied to within 24 hrs.  and it was a holiday weekend.

Just google "nearest embassy or consulate for _________________.
and the info will pop up.

Not everything makes the media.  I have known of killings and attempted killings of mexicans, verified by physicians and federal agencies "off the record"  that to this day never made the news. also americans.  but the embassy will confirm Americans.

To confirm an american killed but lacking info in the media I wrote the following to the US Embassy, the death was confirmed within hours.

I am writing a follow up story about O'Neil McGean, the American killed in Mazatlan whose funeral will commence in D.C. on December 3rd. While researching information regarding the suspects arrested and charged for his kidnapping and murder I was told about another American that was killed in Mazatlan sometime in November. I have a little information about the man and the murder but have failed to confirm the story.

I am asking for a denial or confirmation of the second Mazatlan murder for our post.

Kind regards,

Chivis Martinez

Borderland Beat

Re: Two shot yesterday

thanks cheryl....i sent an email to the consulate.

Re: Two shot yesterday

cheryl updated her remarks:

it happened….we called a friend over there and she said it didn’t and then I spoke with another friend who was having lunch in the restaurant there and heard it but didn’t see it until after.  She said it was a quiet day at that beach----until that happened.

Re: Two shot yesterday

BCS surfer
Yes, it definitely happened, I spoke with friends who witnessed it. I was just hoping someone here would have contacts in la Paz for more details on who was killed, what gang etc. It was an execution on a tourist beach. I posted here because I felt people should hear about it, not to ask if it really happened. But thanks for the replies. If I hear more details I will post.

Re: Two shot yesterday

DURANGO1
Thanks for sharing if only more people would share. Things like this happen but it gets swept under the rug. I was considering going to Cabo’s again but might wait a bit. Went in 2010 and enjoyed it so this might not be much of a deterrent.....

Re: Two shot yesterday

Cabo is as safe as it gets, odds are extremely low anything would happen.  Though, I believe insecurity is rising.

Re: Two shot yesterday

100% it's criminal on criminal.I just wish they would do it in a discreet area rather than public places like most criminals in most countries do.You just don't want to be in the crossfire or the wrong place at the wrong time.
       La Paz has changed drastically than years prior.Every 2nd spot on the malecon is a bar.There's like not double but 5 or 6 times more bars than just a few years ago.There isn't enough tourist business there to support THAT many bars and even the small places you are asked by strangers if you want to buy coke or meth.It is pretty obvious they are not in the  booze business but the drug business.Also there is a lot more newer vehicles driving around than in years previous.It looks pretty high end for a city that doesn't attract near the #'s that Cabo does and maybe even less international tourists than Loreto.

Re: Two shot yesterday

I stayed at Costa Baja when I was there in 2015, which is a huge, high end resort, which was all financed before the explosion of violence, so I do think there is legit money in La Paz, but I also agree that narcoumendo is all along the malecon, but moreso in the back colonias.

Someone was also executed at a mariscos spot along the malecon I ate late one night, that summer. Which is a telling sign, as that was right on the main strip and very busy.

Re: Two shot yesterday

BajaCheryl

Re: Two shot yesterday

Cheryl that was the most awesome thing I ever did in La Paz on my last trip was swim with the whale sharks.It was much better than I anticipated.I would say it was in the top 5 things I have ever enjoyed in my life!BTW is that oversized 1 whale shark that's double the size of all the rest still lingering in La Paz Bay?Costa Baja does look beautiful too.It's on a cliff on the way to Pichilingue on the winding road to the many beaches of La Paz ending at the ferry terminal and that famous mushroom rock.

Re: Two shot yesterday

actually cheryl is my source and what I have posted is from her.

The consulate press office just emailed me for a phone number to talk about the shootings.  I think I will get some info and make a post..

cabo is super safe and has a homicide rate that is to be envied  it is so low.  But there has been some violence.

I check state department stats going back 10 years and  no american homicides.  plenty of drownings.  so I would worry more of drug OD and drowning.

about a month ago i was contacted about the two Americans disappearing.  I will ask about both.  the embassy gives a ton of info, but no names.  I was going into Tamps, Reynosa and Matamoros a few years back when it was even worse than now, about 2010, I called them and said I was delivering supplies to several schools.  they read off the 30 incident reports and wow I did not go.  stuff that never, ever gets in the news

It would be a great blog to create like an advisory blog with the most recent incidents involving americans in various regions.

Re: Two shot yesterday

Chivis where do the Embassy's or Consulates get their crime or incidents from if a lot of them aren't reported by any news source then?Also your last paragraph sounds like a great idea.I'm sure lots on here would be interested even if they're not tourists they still consider travelling to visit family.