Tijuana tourism and violence are both up

Tijuana tourism and violence are both up

Latj89
Hopefully it's ok to post this here, id like some feedback from anyone who feels their qualified to answer this question or give their opinion, thanks in advance for any feedback..basically I go to TJ whenever I can which is becoming less and less due to my work schedule, however I've noticed in the last 2 years especially, that tj is packed every single weekend, much different from what it was 5-7 years ago..and from what I hear from people down there and what I read here on BB, it sounds like the rise in violence has been in sync with the rise in tourism but obviously the 2 aren't connected. My opinion has been that since the mainstream news here in the US and more specifically Southern California has not been reporting the violence nonstop like they were in 08, nobody is really aware of it hence tourism hasn't slowed down. I'm speculating that once our economy slows/crashes it will have a ripple effect into TJ, and the news over here will start exaggerating stories from across the border or in some cases just flat out lie to keep Americans from crossing into Mexico to spend American dollars...does anyone share this speculation with me? Or will the next recession not effect tj travel and tourism, and perhaps increase it due to cheaper housing and medical services available across the border. thanks for any feedback

Re: Tijuana tourism and violence are both up

People in San Diego, at least, fall, usually in two categories:

Uninformed, unaware (or mostly so) of violence in Tijuana, travel there frequently

Uninformed unaware, mostly so, refuse to go because of violence on baseless grounds.

That covers mostly US citizens, not the locals in Tijuana, who fall into different categories.

Re: Tijuana tourism and violence are both up

Siskiyou_Kid
I spent a day in TJ with my 11 and 13 year old daughters [at the time] in March of 2016. We walked across [My first time since they moved the footbridge east of I-5.

It seems like every decade there are fewer tourists from middle America, and more college kids getting drunk or high and older folks buying meds. I definitely didn't see many or any families that look like us.

We visited the artisanal  markets in the Zona Norte and spent a few hours shopping in the area around Revolucion, before heading back to San Diego hours before nightfall. It was a pretty ordinary day, except for the major delay reentering the US at San Ysidro. It took over two hours, with most of the pedestrian lanes closed, while 8-10 CBP agents stood around kicking their heals and shooting the shit. It was quite strange, even though delays are normal. They seemed to be enjoying the exasperation this caused.

Re: Tijuana tourism and violence are both up

That covered it all in a nutshell J!They either go to Mexico a lot or not at all even though they are so close.A lot of Americans don't leave their country at all not like Europeans,Canadians or people from the Nordic countries.

Re: Tijuana tourism and violence are both up

Chava
Siskiyou_Kid wrote
 It took over two hours, with most of the pedestrian lanes closed, while 8-10 CBP agents stood around kicking their heals and shooting the shit. It was quite strange, even though delays are normal. They seemed to be enjoying the exasperation this caused.
And *that* is a major problem as well. They enjoy delaying folks!