Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Frank
This very problem has been killing off people I knew from elementary and high school even friends who became addicts that I had to cut ties with due to their refusal to get help. So many people.  Strange that the trend has bounced back to country of origin rather than begin there.

Article begins:

Fentanyl Enters Heroin Supply in Tijuana, Mexico

ANALYSISWritten by Seth Robbins - JANUARY 30, 2020
Fentanyl
Heroin
Mexico
Synthetic Drugs
US/Mexico Border

The deadly synthetic opioid fentanyl has penetrated Tijuana's drug supply
SHARETweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on Whatsapp
Drug users in Tijuana are being unwittingly exposed to the deadly opioid fentanyl in a corridor where the drug is frequently smuggled, but where the effects of the opioid crisis had not been seen until recently.

A study at three needle exchange sites in the Mexico border city found traces of fentanyl in 55 of 59 samples of what users said they believed to be white powder heroin, Mexican researchers stated in a December 2019 report.

The researchers, testing nearly 90 syringes and other paraphernalia from the users of heroin and methamphetamine, found that about 75 percent were positive for the synthetic opioid. The only samples that showed no traces of fentanyl were described by users as black tar heroin or crystal methamphetamine.

SEE ALSO: Mexico’s Role in the Deadly Rise of Fentanyl

Since the mid-1990s, black tar heroin has been the main form of heroin produced in western Mexico. But Clara Fleiz, an investigator at Mexico’s Ramón de la Fuente Muñiz National Institute of Psychiatry and the study’s lead author, said that she and her team are increasingly seeing the white form, which mixes easily with fentanyl powder. Known locally as China White, this is not the Southeast Asian heroin of the same name.

The Tijuana heroin users “think that they are consuming China White, but what they are being exposed to is fentanyl” and its dangers, Fleiz told InSight Crime.

Fentanyl can be 50 times more powerful than heroin and lethal in even a minute dose. The researchers launched their study out of concern that fentanyl was in the drug supply when, in recent years, they started seeing a spike in overdose victims who needed to be revived with naloxone, a powerful opioid antidote.

“We began to hear reports,” Fleiz said, “of white powder that was more potent.”

InSight Crime Analysis

There are three separate factors likely allowing fentanyl to penetrate Tijuana’s drug supply.

First, the Mexico-California border city sits on a major fentanyl smuggling route to the United States. The United States has been in the grips of an opioid crisis for a decade and has seen a dramatic rise in illicit fentanyl overdoses and deaths.

Southern California ports of entry accounted for more than half of around 2,500 pounds of fentanyl seized nationwide in rhe fiscal year 2019, according to US Customs and Border Protection data (CBP). The amount of fentanyl seized by California’s CBP agents also rose last year. Agents captured 1,472 pounds of the drug, a 32 percent increase from the fiscal year 2018.

SEE ALSO: Mexico News and Profile

In an InSight Crime investigation on the growing role of Mexico in the fentanyl trade, the northwestern state of Baja California, which includes Tijuana, was highlighted as the key trafficking route.

Traffickers who are finding success moving illicit fentanyl into the United States are leaving some of the drugs in Tijuana, authorities told Televisa. Fentanyl is also manufactured in the state. A fentanyl laboratory run by a Bulgarian biochemist was raided in the capital city of Mexicali.

Second, Mexico’s powerful Jalisco Cartel New Generation (Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generación – CJNG) has infiltrated the Pacific ports of Lázaro Cárdenas and Manzanillo, both of which are major entry points for fentanyl and its precursor chemicals smuggled from China.

To process and move the fentanyl, smaller groups — often with ties to the cartels and experience in manufacturing other synthetic drugs, like methamphetamines — are involved.

These subcontractors also supply local dealers. The drugs become a “weapon to control territory and to set up a domestic base of small-time criminals who push for control of neighborhoods,” Nathan P. Jones, an assistant professor of security studies at Sam Houston State University in Texas, told InSight Crime. Homicides in Tijuana surged in recent years as low-level dealers battled for control of drug sales, particularly of methamphetamines.

Jones said this dynamic may be behind fentanyl’s appearance in Tijuana’s local drug supply. Both the Jalisco Cartel and Sinaloa Cartel are vying to control drug routes in Baja California.

Third, Tijuana has long been home to a large population struggling with drug addiction.

Tijuana is home to about 10,000 people who inject drugs, Fleiz said. The increase in overdoses among heroin users in Tijuana began in 2017, the same time when fentanyl seizures increased along the Mexico-US border, she said.

Mexico’s government recently started a campaign that warns: “fentanyl kills.” Yet as Fleiz and her colleagues point out, drug users generally don’t know whether their heroin is laced with fentanyl.

Mexico’s government can save lives by making naloxone, the opioid antidote, more readily available, Fleiz said. Many US states have allowed for the medication, which is administered by injection or nasal spray, to be sold by pharmacists, and it is carried by police and first responders in many states.

While Fleiz said she doesn’t see fentanyl as likely to claim as many lives in Mexico as it has in the United States, she says overdose deaths will rise.

Heroin users have begun to seek out the largely contaminated white powder heroin for its potency, Fleiz said, choosing it over other forms.

https://www.insightcrime.org/news/analysis/fentanyl-heroin-drug-supply-tijuana/

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Read City of Omens, by Dan Webb, an epidemiologist, who looks at murders and drug overdoses from that standpoint, I read the book, and watched him at an event in La Jolla, goes into the fentanyl aspect too, and the roving shooting galleries in Eastern and central Tijuana.
Kab

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Kab
That's the reason I stopped socially using coke.  Too dangerous, what if it's laced with Fentanyl?  And with my non-existent tolerance (social use, maybe 2-3 times a year) that stuff will kill me.

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Frank
This where my conspiracy hat comes on. Why would anyone have started lacing COKE with fent. You scare away at least 20% of the market, and the best end result for the user is a speedball that keeps them happy all night. Coke is generally cut with amphetamines to make the user jones for more coke and repeatedly buy more. Not go to bed after the first hit. Cutting H with fent, sick as it is does stretch the product out by huge margins however they are killing off their customer base. In Vancouver, 80% of the coke tested by cops from street level busts had fent in it. The economics of cocaine in particular, do not support the idea of cutting it with fent. Maybe some 3 letter agency involvement? It’s a valid question. Fentanyl has totally changed the drug game forever

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

There has never been a documented case of fentanyl intentionally used as a cutting agent for cocaine. There are instances where low level street dealers have unintentionally done so.  There was a study done in Ohio a high intensity heroin/trafficking zone, and there were no instances of cocaine being "cut" with fentanyl in seizures of 100 grams or more, almost exclusively that was found in quantities of a gram or less, being sold on the street. The kind of guys that sell heroin by the packet, and also a little crack or highly cut powder cocaine.

The panic in San Diego in September 2018, in which 5 people overdosed on labor day weekend, and two died, was eventually revealed to be not what was originally reported.  The drug dealer charged, who pleaded guilty last year in federal court, received, mistakenly, a distributable quantity of fentanyl, which he sold as cocaine.  His supplier also overdosed and died.

There was no combination, just a mistaken ID, granted, a pretty severe mistaken, but there was another case in which a man sold 5 people fentanyl, who all overdosed.  None died, abut all parties believed it to be cocaine.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nea898/how-much-fentanyl-is-actually-in-cocaine

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/pacific-beach-man-pleads-guilty-to-selling-fentanyl-that-killed-one-man/1992254/

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/story/2019-07-22/chula-vista-drug-dealer-sentenced-for-alpine-fentanyl-overdoses

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

redlogarythm
The dealers who use Fentanyl mixing it with other drugs such heroine and cocaines do so because as it is the most powerful opioid it creats a great dependency. If you buy cocaine mixed with anphetamines you´re gonna get a great high. But if you use cocaine cut with F you´re gonna need to buy another round from the dealer the next day. It´s the effect of dependency what is searched by these guys. They prefer to sell 30 or 40 doses and lose customers for the effects of their product than to have a stable clientele which buys only on weekends

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Frank
Yeah the ones that get busted within 30 days of setting up shop. Nothing brings heat like dead custies

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Frank
I have to disagree, my friend. This could be an anomaly on the streets of Van, and other cities in western Canada, but mid level dealers have cut coke into quarter pounds, 9 packs before it hits the streets. They sell a lot of those little packets. Surely kilos as well, though I haven’t seen documentation of this I remember two years back a bad load of yay containing fent came in to T.O. and wiped out dozens of users. If one has no tolerance for opiates, they tend to be the ones who die instantly. Sad but logical.
Fortunately, the powers that be who lord over that cities underworld decided to ixne that business model and keep it clean. Nowaday’s one could get very very pure coke in TO for 100-120CDN that came straight off the stamped glistening brick. If they know that is. I have no interest in further experimentation personally, but I know this to be the case

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/drug-checks-at-vancouver-supervised-injection-site-found-80-contained-fentanyl

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatoon-alleged-fentanyl-dealers-manslaughter-1.5028573

Correction: @J I did re read your post and saw that you did acknowledge some fent in small packets of cocaine/crack

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Is there a documented case of a plea agreement or otherwise documented where the defendant was accused of intentionally cutting cocaine with fentanyl for further distribution?  I have never seen it.

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

They are busting people with straight up Fentanyl pills now.  I am not sure how potent they are, but they can’t contain the “1 spec touches your skin and you OD”.

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

El Guero
I have to agree with J here.  While I absolutely believe the police would claim large scale dealers are intentionally cutting cocaine with fentanyl it is almost impossible to believe it is actually happening.

This would not lead to recurring customers but simply a plethora of dead bodies.   Somebody who has no tolerance established for opioids and unwittingly snorts fentanyl would not be coming back for anything the next day.  Or any other day for that matter as they would quite simply be dead.

Things must get worse before they can get better

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

redlogarythm
You´re right, there´s no legal evidence of this. Nevertheless since I though I had read somewhere an article about cocaine mixed with fentanyl I searcherd for it. It´s an NBC article. I know it´s not a very reliable source but it´s quite well argued.
Also a recent report of Canadian authorities stated that at least 4,8% of cocaine sold in the city of Toronto (which has traditionally been controlled by a strange alliance of N´drangheta families, a Hell´s Angels chapter and mainly the Rizzuto Cosa Nostra clan) has traces of fentanyl due to cross-contamination.
My intention wasn´t to state that it´s a common practice, I wanted only to say that it has happened, but again, I have no legal proofs of people been caught for doing so.

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

redlogarythm

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

frank....deaths from fent laced opioids are down in 2019 and expected to decline another 3.4 percent

what contributes to the decline in your op?

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Frank
This post was updated on .
Hi Chivis,

My answer to that is two fold, and there are undoubtedly other factors I haven’t thought of yet or that none of us except the man behind the man will ever know

First, users are developing a tolerance. When underground fent (ie not patches) hit the marketplace, no one was prepared for the strength of the stuff. Especially when it was added to heroin to increase the effects (and let’s be real. Profit.), or worse cocaine (in some cases ppl were sold fent to people who thought it was coke. Low purity heroin could now be made extremely powerful, very cheaply, by adding fentanyl. In BC and Alberta Canada, fake 80mg oxy’s containing fent began to circulate in2012and if one mistook it for the real thing, they would likely die if they were used to ingesting half or a whole pill and  attempting to measure a dose of oxy vs fentanyl.

Second, I think the manufacturers of the fake pills are using actual chemistry so that doses may be measured. Used to be that the pills were made using using cement mixers to combine the drug and the filler, which would cause some pills to contain very little active ingredient, while other pills would be lethal. Like Russian roulette for the user, but with drugs.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/drug-lab-dismantled-eps-call-it-the-largest-fentanyl-pill-seizure-in-canada-1.3523465

I think the dealers don’t want to kill or scare off TOO many users, though thy know full well that addicts flock to a dealer when they find out that a certain batch is lethally potent. I can not for the life of me wrap my head around how sick that situation is, but I think the real answer here is that both manufacturers and consumer’s are getting smarter about making, and taking it.

Nothing brings the police sniffin round like a pile of bodies. Cartels don’t want to constantly be replacing their local personnel with an established network in whatever city their operating in, because if 30 people die from their dope in 3 days, the public appeals to politicians who tell cops to crack the whip on H/fent dealers? This would motivate them to find a better way

Thanks for your extremely devoted dedication to this site, and for keeping me informed all these years!

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

@Chivis
I think the number of related deaths is going down because dealers are getting better at mixing non-lethals doses now.

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Such a great reply!
I had not been aware that fent as a cut began in 2012!  However there is this great animated chart that may just support that.  "Decade of Drug Overdose"  Notice WV in 2011

https://drugabuse.com/featured/decade-of-drug-overdose/

If anyone knows how to grab the embedding code to publish elsewhere pls let me know.  I can access the code in INSPECT but it will not stay on a post

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

blanco puro
Frank - Did i read wrong or did you say that pure coke costs $100-120k in T.O.??

BTW no one intentionally cuts coke with fent. You use a cheap substance to cut your coke to stretch it out and make more profits (like phenacetin which is $1000 per kilo) , and a kilo of fent costs almost double a kilo of coke. so if some low level dealers somewhere along the way did it, maybe thinking they would get their clients more addicted, ok maybe it happened out of ignorance when fent was new, but no one does that on purpose. certainly not brick level dealers and wholesalers who know the game. it is two different products. coke is up, fent is a downer.

But heroin being cut with fent, yes, it happened at first because fent was cheaper when no one knew about it, and it was being brought in from china for super cheaper and the borders were not on the lookout for it. but now heroin prices are down, and fent prices are up. A kilo of pure fent sells for $200k + because you can cut it into 5 bricks if you want and still sell them for 60k each. This is exactly what the mexicans do, and in ontario you get mex fent for 60k a kilo which is cut, not pure.

In terms of deaths from fent, here's one thing you have to understand about opiods in general. The user develops tolerance very quickly. Most "junkies" started off as regular 9-5 people, maybe had an injury at work or elsewhere, their doctor gave them percocets. As they developed tolerance they graduated to Oxys first 10s then 20s then 40s then 80's and when they are at the point that they are popping 80's like tic tacs, they next step is heroin. And after you've done heroin for a while you keep chasing that high you originally had that never comes back. And when you hear someone overdosed off some strong shit you say I WANT THAT STUFF because you feel that's the only way you will get that high again.

So yes, fent kills a new user, but how often does a person just wake up and say " i think i'll try heroin today!" no, they progress and graduate to it. And the majority of the illegal opiod users have graduated to FENT, but of course that doesn't mean they can't die. It's still a drug. But in the opiod world, custies dying brings in more business.

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

Frank
This post was updated on .
It’s true that I may have overestimated the level at which the fent is or was( could be over now) cut into the product, but the fact is, 4.3 percent of the cocaine seized in Canada in 2017 or 18, (reference above) contained fentanyl. There are a lot of numb nuts dealers who HAVE cut their shit with fent, causing deaths. I agree, it makes no sense and does not align with the economics of moving yayo.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/delta-police-warn-of-possible-fentanyl-laced-cocaine-after-overdoses

The bigger issue as I stated in my post on the main page, is regarding toxic coke is levamisol being cut into cocaine which is ubiquitous and undisputed

As far as yay as pure as the driven snow? Yeah, that would cost 100CDN, 120if you’re not linked up and lucky enough to have access to the raw

And opioid addiction, shit. No need to explain the finer points, Brother. I did 12 rounds with the the devil in my 20’s. Starting with oxy’s that were prescribed. Then it took a very, very dark turn resulting in an agonizing and wasted decade. At least it would have been a waste had I not gotten clean, went back to school, becoming an addictions counsellor and using my experiences to help at least 1 person (that I know of) quit the spike and live an amazing life after drugs. Went back to where I worked to visit and I attended an AA meeting. One of my  former clients, the one I wondered about the most often, was the speaker. Not ashamed to say it brought tears to my eyes as I listened to her story and heard how happy and healthy she is now with a fam, good job and all the love in the world. She did ALL the work but just to see the transformation was one of the most powerful things I have witnessed, including my own transformation from an addict to a contributing member of society

Re: Tijuana H laced with Fent. Death rates will soar

El Guero
Just looked up levamisole on Google and the images of some of the people who got a bit too much of it in their coke are pretty gross.  Seriously necrotic stuff.
Things must get worse before they can get better
12