Threats to Borderland Beat reporters?

Mordertown
I'm hearing more and more reports of threats, corruption and influenced reporters that cover the Mexican Drug war and this makes me worried about the reporters here at BB.

Does anyone know if they've been approached by cartels about their coverage? I'm assuming by the tone that the posts have been posting that even if they were approached, they didn't seem fazed by it.

Re: Threats to Borderland Beat reporters?

Anoneee
I am going to make an assupmtion about the BB reporters. I am going to guess that for the most part no one knows who these people really are other than a screen name and posts that go along with them.

Considering the media danger in Mexico right now it would be unwise to actually reveal who you are. Better to post on a message board and write about what happens anonymously(sp?) rather than have anyone's real info out there for someone to find out and come a knocking on their door for revenge for something they did not like written about their business.

Re: Threats to Borderland Beat reporters?

J.Aguilar
what do you think happened to risemakaveli?   he was getting threats from the zetas now i saw a post where it looks like the CDG may have threatened him.  I think he say screw this.  The groups care whats being posted and all these guys have iphones so theyre not backward.

Re: Threats to Borderland Beat reporters?

el chismoso
No one knows the extent of the covert war on drugs. No doubt BB has a role, certainly they censor comments that are to the point. Unfortunately for Mexico, and the Mexican people, the cloak and dagger crowd, black ops I think they call it, have met there match in Juarez. if you the BB reader try to make sense of it all, sooner or later you must realize that a black op may have gone terribly wrong, and that the "New Federation" is using torture and beheadings to find out who is behind an assasination of a Kingpin. Guess what Chaparito(wiener dog in english), it is someone very close to your bosses, and they made a deal with those that pursue you. You have been betrayed, sold out, snitched off, they know what you lok like, they know your aliases, they know where you like to hide.

Re: Threats to Borderland Beat reporters?

kylesam
Does anyone pay attention to the posts except for me? Most of the stories BB publishes they just translate from reporters in Mexico, the REAL REPORTERS who do the brunt of the work, so you should give all the credit to them for bringing you these stories, you should praise the actual reporters. That's why you always see sources at the bottom with a link or it says by Associated Press or etc etc.

So to answer your question: Does anyone know if they've been approached by cartels about their coverage? Its obviously NO!!! All they do is translate stories or publish stories from English websites!!

Re: Threats to Borderland Beat reporters?

woof woof
Your BB reporters post comments everyday, are they inflamatory? Are they made with an intent to misinform the readers? No doubt the DTO's get wind of every comment made. There is a difference between the Sinaloa Cartel and the "crimefighters". When a Sinaloa Cartel assasinates someone, they make sure every one knows why. When the black ops occur, they blame the other guy. And the BB reporter who is manipulated to disinform the public about the reality of a black op becomes the only possible source of info. The cartels wan't to know who done it? And they might think a BB reporter knows the answer. I think that BB is doing a diservice to Mexico.

 The world's most violent criminal organization always find out, they know how to make people talk. American crime fighters know this, are they engaged in a policy of making third party innocents the fall guy? Is this policy? Is BB facilitating the murder of innocent journalists in Mexico? Think about it!

Re: Threats to Borderland Beat reporters?

Huero
There is always a danger when reporting, translating or even opining on the drug war. Some of us may have family that lives down south and may be affiliated with people down there. Caution is always warranted and risk may be reduced so long as all your posts are anonymous or at least under aliases you never use.