Thoughts/ Preveiw of new story

ArmChairIntellect
This post was updated on .
So ok guys I find myself in a dilemma.  I am sitting on a story I have now been working on for sometime.  It started with the Ibarra story I did recently, if you missed it here is the link. http://armchairsborderwars.blogspot.com/2012/08/ghosts-from-past.html

Anyways this has been the main reason for my absence and has become something I could never expect, an unbelievable and dramatic story that even I sometimes find hard to believe.  But my source is credible and and has docs as proof, several things I verified through my own research.  However I can't use any said documents. So I am writing this story the way I wrote Through the Eyes of the taken, once again if you missed it here is the link http://armchairsborderwars.blogspot.com/2012/06/kidnapping-through-eyes-of-taken.html from personal perspectives.   The story would appear to most without the docs backing it up to be fabricated.  It is truly eye opening but should it be posted on BB?

Re: Thoughts?

Bjeff
You should absolutely publish it, with notes of what you are describing here.

I have been thinking recently that this forum could be used for actual good other than trying to inform the outside world on Mexico's trouble. The Ibarra story is a opportunity. What if we divided tasks and used the info provided on him to hit newspapers in the US, Mexico and attorney's offices with requests for legal prosecution. Big job, but wouldn't it be fun?

Re: Thoughts?

ArmChairIntellect
Notta a bad idea, he is loose but highly protected, not much on how or why, please don't get me killed in the process, I'd appreciate it.  But he is only one part of the story, I'm sorry notes I cannot publish, it might compromise my source hence the reason to write it from personal perspectives.  I am wondering if people would crucify me for posting it on the main page and many would simply not believe its validity.

Re: Thoughts?

Catdog
Aci,of course you should post it as you are well respected here.and who gives a flying fuck what Peaple think or don't think?

Re: Thoughts?

Havana
Hi ACI - This is done as you know.  Go for it with a heads up disclaimer!

You've seen disclaimers about reliable sources in copy often I'm sure, and have done it before as you say.

It'll protect you to a point unless you're Judith Miller and end up having to go to jail.

Publications stand by their writers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/07/opinion/07thu1.html?pagewanted=all

I think the reservation is that this is an easy way in time for  information to be construed as fact, if it always remains unsubstantiated and is say only partially true.

On the other hand. Statements from people, considered factual and have been conveyed in such a way, they quickly become misinterpreted and misconstrued.

As a journalist, it is  best not to do this too often because it sets you up for skeptical detractors, and you may the risk of not being taken as seriously.

Re: Thoughts?

DURANGO1
theres always going to be people questioning the source and validity. i would post it and do what you have to do do protect the source. I had been intirgued at the camarena issue, and do remember reading the name. sad that he is untouchable i wonder why, all i could do is speculate, maybe knows too much? not on mx gvmnt but dea/cia, who knows!

Re: Thoughts?

jlopez
I agree with the rest, especially with Havana, that you should post it. An explanatory disclaimer such as the one you began with should be enough to put readers on notice about the reliability of the information.

Re: Thoughts?

Gonzalez
Why can't you publish the documents?

Re: Thoughts?

ArmChairIntellect
Thanks for the input guys.  I'll publish a preveiw of the story on the forum for you guys. The entire thing isn't finished yet nor do I have any idea when it will be comeplete.

@Gonzalez the source is worried it will lead straight back to him, he had a close call with another reporter who published some documents he gave, almost got in a lot of trouble.  The guy has a wealth of info, I will do as he asks, as long as I can verify before I write anything.  Hope that clears it up.

Re: Thoughts?

ArmChairIntellect
This is part one

By ACI for Borderland Beat

It’s no secret that the drug war is a dirty war.  A war fought with deception, betrayal and lies.  As in any war information is often the single most prized possession.   This war is no different.  Informants may be the single most important asset the government possesses.  These people are not angles; they are often narcos or killers or any range of unsavory and unpleasant characters.  They provide information for gain not for justice.   The informants by their very nature are part of the mechanism the government is trying to defeat.   This is the beginning of a series that illustrates the role informants play in this ever evolving and ever changing war.  The following story is based on truth and it all started with an email.

Somewhere in Mexico

He stared at his computer screen; watching the curser blink.  In all of his years doing this kind of work he never thought he would do this.  An unsettling feeling set in; a combination of fear, excitement and betrayal.   The room was dark, the only light coming from the screen on the computer.  It was set up in a corner of the room and it was ancient.  The fan inside made an awful humming sound, a small radio played music in the background.

The room itself wasn’t big; maybe 10 by 12 feet, the walls were bare except for a picture of the Virgin Mary in the center of a wall.  The room had tiles floors, not much in the way of furniture.  A mattress on the floor was covered by mound of sheets and cloths.  A few religious candles lay on the floor.  In the corner of the room was a small alter.  A statue of Santa Muerte was at the center.  It was surrounded with little offerings, several candles, some pesos, and a few pictures of Jesus Malverde.  There was no need to guess his occupation.

Papers littered the floors; boxes filled with files were everywhere.  Many would kill for these files.  Old beer cans overflowing with cigarettes butts covered the desk.  There he sat, staring through the smoke at the screen.  The cursor continued to blink off and on the send button.  He knew once he sent this it would be final, it could not be undone.  But this information was worth money; a lot of money.  He sat in his chair; smoke rose in front of his face, his wire rimmed glasses reflected what was on the screen.  The ash on the end of his cigarette fell on to his lap, he wiped it away, and pondered what his next move was.

There was someone who could help, someone who knew what to do with information.  It was through his sister that he learned of a man, someone with the knowhow to take his information and convert it into money.  He was hesitant and scared.  This wasn’t about doing the right thing; this was about money, pure and simple.  He would try to tell himself it wasn’t but he knew it was a lie.  He knew the risk he was about to take, he knew that he was putting those around him in danger.  After that thought the pit in his stomach grew and a bead of sweet ran down his brow, he wiped it away with his arm.  Was this worth it?  Could this man be trusted?

Trust means something else when your life is on the line.  He thought how most people take this granted.  He sure did, he thought of the time when his girlfriend cheated on him.  A smirk came across his face.  Those were the simpler times when misplaced trust ended in a broken heart not a death sentence.  But this was an entirely different game, one which his life hung in the balance.  If this man wasn’t who he said he was he knew he was a dead man.

Hit pressed the send button; there was no turning back now.

Re: Thoughts?

Baggy
NIce, gimme the rest lol. stay safe n be smart n you dont have anything to worry about as far as us trusting the reliability of the information you post.

Re: Thoughts/ Preveiw of new story

ACI.  The original non-fiction novel, "In Cold Blood"  by Truman Capote  became the greatest crime seller at the time and is almost universally acknowledged as one of the best books of its type ever written.

Maybe you can top what Capote did.

Publish it.

Re: Thoughts/ Preveiw of new story

El Faro
Can't wait....

Re: Thoughts/ Preveiw of new story

ACI. Of course Capote never completed another book and died of complications of alcoholism, but don't let that deter you.  jaja

Re: Thoughts?

Pinchegringo
Once consistent contributor start questioning whether or not something should be posted is a problem.

Looking forward to reading the rest.

Re: Thoughts?

Havana
Very descriptive. You write really so well, ACI.  I can picture it perfectly. Just one thing I'm wondering..  You sure it was a poster of the virgin mary and not Guadalupe?

Re: Thoughts?

DURANGO1
ACI i am so annoyed by this story. Not that its not a good story, its just i want the rest of it.  What a tease!!!! but on the other hand excellent writing and content look forward to see the rest.

Re: Thoughts/ Preveiw of new story

Gonzalez
If "information", whether e-mails or digital images of documents in this person's files, is the core around which the story revolves, then you should present something even if heavily redacted. If this person e-mailed copies of documents to you, he quite clearly has an agenda.

Re: Thoughts?

Athena
@ACI - Amazing start - thanks for sharing.  Just to echo what others have already stated, we trust what you post so don't feel pressured to share anything that could endanger your source (or you).

Re: Thoughts?

ArmChairIntellect
Thanks guys, your encouragement means more than you know.  Maybe I'll start postin stories here then toss them on the main page, then yall can be the first to read um, maybe even help find mistakes, no matter how many times I read a piece I always miss stuff, plus I like you guys mostest   Sorry to tease you all, I will keep you all up to date with the progress.
@DD ha good thing I'm not a drinker
@Havana your right, it was supposed to be Guadalupe
@Gonzalez I'll see what I can do, he was fairly upfront about his agenda to begin with, I believe him for what its worth
12