The near to mid range future

tideout55
I started following the forum years ago but I think my ID must have expired after some time.

I've lived in Oaxaca before and used to love the regional bus trips in the country. When I returned from work in Asia I'd stop by the States and then go to my "adopted" home in Oaxaca and then go to other places I really loved - Veracruz, Puebla, Guadalajara, Chiapas etc...

I saw some of the negative changes then and of course, it hasn't gotten any better. I'm now approaching retirement age and would love to return to Mexico but obviously I'm pretty concerned about the ongoing crime situation.

As readers of this blog know, the situation today could be different than next year etc. but I'm curious what you'd consider as areas of Mexico that are holding up as reasonably safe with an eye on the future?

Many regards to the fellow readers here.

Re: The near to mid range future

last year I could have given you a list----this year not so much.

Re: The near to mid range future

Ciro
Stay away from Guadalajara.   Puerto Vallarta is very nice and safe provided you dont do drugs

Re: The near to mid range future

tideout55
Thanks  (everyone) for your responses.

I have to say that I'm interested in a place to live not be a tourist in. I loved to walk around the cities I was in in Mexico so I'm not always likely to be in places that are perfectly ordered for foreign eyes.

Unfortunately, I've had the cities I've been to kept drop off the list as well.

Some quick examples.
Guadalajara was beautiful but when I stayed there for a couple of weeks, I just missed city buses being torched and there was a bad shooting in a bar similar to the recent Playa Del Carmen bar shooting. A foreigner was killed and it was really not a sketchy bar. This was before Jalisco really seemed to go crazy.
The disconnect between the foreigner's behavior and the level of violence was what struck.

Leon - nice enough if not a boring city. Spent about 6 weeks there but an asistant procuduria was gunned down by to motorcycle teams near a school...on the way out I met a pair of nice Mexican women who'd lost their husbands to gangs who were taking a slice of their money every month.

I don't need to bring up Veracruz.....one of my favorite cities in the world and I can't think about the news now.....

I heard even Puebla has gotten more dangerous from a personal connection.

I'm glad to hear someone mention Oaxaca, at least the central city area. I guess you just have to avoid some outlying areas, protests etc...

Too often, tripadvisor type reviews don't seem to understand the underlying issues or how they differ.

Well, again, thanks everyone for your ideas!

Re: The near to mid range future

Lala
Hola, I live in Oaxaca city, I feel safe here and I think most of the city and surrounding villages are safe. Robberies and the like have increased (also in the centro) and you have to be careful in some areas (around central de abastos, san juanito, santa anita and san martín mexicapam are the most rough but still more or less ok during the day, just keep your eyes open)

There are executions and murders at times but not at a pace or numbers to make me worry.

It's uglier, narco wise, in Tuxtepec and Salina Cruz, the rest is not bad in that sense, shit might happen now and then here and there but not often.

In some areas you have to be aware of rural conflicts going on and stuff like that before travelling (for example you can't travel through triqui area unless accompanied by a local and/or with an invitation), the usual avoid travelling by night in most roads, and then of course there are blockades, lots of blockades, everywhere, all the time, it's an annoyance but most of the time that's all it is.

Any question you might have feel free to ask :)

Re: The near to mid range future

Mosco
From what I learned years ago (1980s) when I used to visit my retired dad in Ocotlan, Jalisco....I would have loved any town within 400 miles radius of Guadalajara.  By 2000, after much research on retirement issues, we decided it was way too risky due to a multiplicity of negative factors that arose over time.  These factors were mostly related to my value system as well as a host of practical things missing or faux that I take for granted in the USA.
Long story short, I recommend living for a time in your chosen paradise ...on a trial basis. Have a good back out plan ready, if paradise turns out to be a false impression.
P.S. I love Mexico very much for many reasons.... but the way things soured in the last 40 years .... No way.  We found a wonderful town in a remote area ...where there are some issues... but overall, it is our "safe and real" paradise.
Good luck.
Mosco

Re: The near to mid range future

Mosco
From what I learned years ago (1980s) when I used to visit my retired dad in Ocotlan, Jalisco....I would have loved any town within 400 miles radius of Guadalajara.  By 2000, after much research on retirement issues, we decided it was way too risky due to a multiplicity of negative factors that arose over time.  These factors were mostly related to my value system and a   host of practical things missing in the USA (Medical, honesty in government, infrastructure,).
Long story short, I recommend living for a time in your chosen paradise ...on a trial basis. Have a good back out plan ready, if paradise turns out to be a false impression.
P.S. I love Mexico very much for many reasons.... but the way things soured in the last 40 years .... No way.  We found a wonderful town in a remote area of the USA ...Overall it is our "safe and real" paradise.
Good luck.
Mosco

Re: The near to mid range future

Nice, helpful answer---

Re: The near to mid range future

tideout55
Thanks Mosco

Very nice reply.

I think you're on to something when you say a "multitude of factors".

Of course, I've lived in a few cities in the US where there was occasionally a murder. What's different in Mexico it seems are the levels of violence and the lack of a connection between what people are doing and the following deaths of people.

Re: The near to mid range future

Lala
Hola Chivis, un abrazo!

Re: The near to mid range future

Still in Oaxaca, i was wondering how you are doing!

Re: The near to mid range future

Lala
jaja yes, still here, so far so good :) tú qué tal?