The 'Lynch Mob'

A Oaxaca banner offers warning to thieves.

News

Signs warn thieves they will be lynched

Tired of thefts, Oaxaca citizens issue warning to perpetrators

Mexico News Daily | Friday, December 29, 2017

Thieves beware: there’s a lynch mob waiting for you in Oaxaca city.

     “Thief, if we catch you, we’ll lynch you,” read a banner that was hung over a city street this week, signed by “vigilant neighbors united against delinquency.”

     It is one of many that have appeared in the Oaxaca state capital in response to an increase in theft.
     Is the threat of lynching an empty one? Perhaps not, judging by statistics indicating that the number of lynchings doubled during 2017 in the city and neighboring municipalities, compared to last year’s figures.

     Local news media have reported 56 cases of attempted and completed lynchings, resulting in the deaths of 11 alleged criminals.

     One of the most recent attempted lynchings took place two nights ago in the La Fundición neighborhood. Residents caught an alleged auto parts thief red-handed, and word soon spread for several blocks around.

     An angry mob gathered and stripped the alleged criminal before beating him and tying him to a utility pole. The entire incident was recorded on video.

     The fate of the supposed delinquent was decided when police arrived and rescued the man from the hands of the mob.

     Over the last week, four attempted lynchings were reported in the greater Oaxaca city area: two in the municipalities of Santa María Atzompa and Zimatlán de Álvarez, and two more in the city itself, one of which was in the city’s historic center.

     Nearby store owners have reported several thefts over the last month. They claim that police patrols in the area are all but nonexistent, and that authorities have done nothing in response to the situation.

Source: El Universal (sp)

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/signs-warn-thieves-they-will-be-lynched/?utm_source=Mexico+News+Daily&utm_campaign=1bed145008-december+30&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f1536a3787-1bed145008-349512513

Re: The 'Lynch Mob'

Char

The title of the article made think about a song 😌
No end to violence any time soon in Mexico.

Happy New Years canadiana...

Re: The 'Lynch Mob'

Kye0001
Do the police prosecute lynch mobs?  They do here, even if the person is a rapist, pedophile etc.  Does the threat of being lynched stop the thefts?

Re: The 'Lynch Mob'

Anasazi
Do you mean in Mexico?

The police will try to stop lynch mobs, if they can. Very often they just stand by and watch, especially if they're heavily outnumbered. I think it's rare to prosecute people for participating in these after-the-fact.

The threat of being lynched hasn't done much to curb violence on a national scale. However, I'm sure there are some small towns where the threat of lynching has done away with local criminals.

Re: The 'Lynch Mob'

Kye0001
Good.  Part of me thinks great I hope it helps (conscience screams what about a fair trial etc too).  My dads friend got 10 years in jail for defending himself against a burglar, it was self defence as the guy was armed but because he hit the burglar and kneecapped him he got longer in jail than the burglar

Re: The 'Lynch Mob'

Kye0001
Were UK sorry, yes I meant mexico thanks

Re: The 'Lynch Mob'

Wow does that ever suck that he got longer than the burglar.It's like that here too.Too much bleeding hearts.Texas I hear totally different story.Doesn't a burglar there take his life in his hands even going on someone's property?Something I heard about most dangerous job in Texas being a repo man.

Re: The 'Lynch Mob'

Kye0001
The UK is lacking a right to protect yourself.  I'm in a small town just outside of a city and even we have had several shootings or incidents, some not even reported.  There's been people hitting up grow houses with guns, running down streets armed (I was nearby and my own son saw it).  It doesn't even go in the papers.    You get 3 years in jail for carrying an offensive weapon, the government say they're being tough with it yet we've had more incidents locally than ever before.

Re: The 'Lynch Mob'

BajaCheryl
I love this.  20 years ago a man was exposing himself to little girls and the whole neighborhod chased him into the estuary and beat the crap out of him.  Now there are guys that steal batteries and we have a group "whatsapp".  i HOPE we can as citizens not lynch but kick their butts....we are trying to be more watchful but watching doesnt work....