The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

DD
MEXICO CITY—Every country has its entitled rich kids. Even China has its so-called Princelings, the sons of high-ranking Communist Party officials who race the streets of Shanghai in Ferraris. But the phenomenon has long been particularly acute in Mexico.

Perhaps the country’s first Junior was Martin Cortés, son of conquistador Hernán Cortés. Along with several other sons of conquerors, he allegedly conspired to be named the King of New Spain in the years that followed the death of his father. The Spanish crown was not amused, and his fellow conspirators lost their heads—literally—but Martin was spared because of his dad’s legacy.

Unlike many other Latin American countries such as Chile and Colombia, where powerful families trace back their roots to colonial Spain, Mexico’s 1910-1917 revolution that killed an estimated million people largely laid low its own pseudo-aristocracy and their large land holdings, opening the door for other classes to take power.

While that is largely seen as a good thing, it also ended any sense of noblesse oblige—the aristocratic urge to give something back to society, or at least not flaunt one’s wealth.

“The revolution raised up a whole new class of people. And the system of patronage and corruption that followed made them enormously rich. But they didn’t know how to handle money. They never taught their kids to handle it either,” says Lorenzo Meyer, a leading historian on Mexico.

The political party that emerged from the Mexican Revolution was the monolithic Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI), which ruled uninterrupted from 1929 to 2000, and regained power last year. The PRI’s control of the economy allowed it to create a new class of business leaders who supported the party in exchange for monopolies.

From the start, the children of the new elites gained power and privilege. The sons of Plutarco Elias Calles, the revolutionary general that founded the PRI, became state governors, starting a tradition for many party presidents and their sons. Former PRI President Jose Luis Lopez Portillo once referred to his son as “the pride of my nepotism.”

More recently, consider the case of Andres Granier, which has been making headlines in Mexico. Mr. Granier, a chemist who rose up the ranks of the PRI, became governor of the impoverished state of Tabasco from 2007 to 2012. Recently, Mr. Granier was exposed on tape boasting with his son Fabian about their shopping trips to Beverly Hills and Fifth Avenue. Mr. Granier said his wardrobe included 1,000 dress shirts, 300 pairs of designer shoes and 400 suits.

Mr. Granier, who said he was drunk when he was taped and did not mean what he said, faces corruption charges in Tabasco. Investigators found $8 million in cash at the house of Mr. Granier’s former state treasurer, who also drove a Ferrari F430.

What about Mr. Granier’s son Fabian?   Latest reports are that he had 6 Farraris.

He first got into trouble in 2008 when his girlfriend uploaded pictures to her Facebook account of a jaunt to Cancun with Fabian and friends on a private jet that belonged to the state government. Opposition parties also charge that Fabian has bought luxury apartments in Cancun and a yacht. He and his father have denied the allegations.

DD.  Just a loving father.  From todays story on main page posted by un vato;  for Tabasco politicians and potentates, it was no surprise that, day after day, Governor Granier would utter his favorite phrases when talking about the excesses of his son Fabiancito and the grotesque frivolities of his daughters Paulina and Mariana. "If I have to give my life for my children, I will give it," he would say.

After an order for his arrest was issued last week, "we know that Granier appeared voluntarily and without a judicial protective order before federal authorities, not because he thinks anybody believes in his innocence, but because his children asked him to. They demanded that he "clean up the family name." And like any loving father, he chose jail for himself  above prison for his children."

Reminiscent of his last day in office as Governor when he disappeared "for health reasons", he went directly to the hospital rather than jail after he surrendered himself to federal authorities.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/06/graniers-corruption-was-open-secret.html

http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-254150/

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

Bjeff
@DD: And what will he do in the hospital? Come out incognito with brand new plastic surgery to his face?

Would be funny if he came out like this:

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

nacho

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

jlopez
@JTBESQ: Thanks for your comparison of Cheney and corrupt Mexican politicians. You're totally correct; Cheney also used his political connections to become immensely wealthy, so it appears the rules of corruption may be universally applicable no matter the degree of democratization in any particular country.

Idle curiosity: you think Cheney does not travel abroad because he's worried he will be charged with crimes against humanity? I haven't heard of him leaving the U.S., but maybe I just didn't notice.

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

@JTBeso  great comment.  Remember Rumsfelds announcement on 9/10/01 that there was "$2.3 TRILLION missing" from the Pentagon.  That would have been the major story of the year or maybe even the decade if not what happened the next day - 9/11.  But the attacks on the World Trade Centers and the Pentagon buried that story and it was never heard from again.

In fairness to Rumsfeld, he was not saying it was stolen, but made the announcement as part of the war on the Pentagon bureaucracy he was promising to fight.  Even the GAO (or the IG at Pentagon, I don't remember which) said 25% of the expenditure of the Defense Dept could not be accounted for in any given year.  Some was just lacking receipts, documentation, or incompatible computer/accounting, etc. , but anytime you have 25% of a close to a Trillion dollars that is "missing", you can bet that a bunch of it went into peoples pockets that did not earn it.

Sole source contracts (contracts that are let without bidding) in the billions and and billions of dollars do not seem to receive the scrutiny you would expect.  Haliburton, of which Cheney was a former CEO, was one of those.  Think there might have been a little politics at play?

Remember Ike's warning about "the immense military establishment" that had joined with "a large arms industry.";

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists, and will persist."

RUMSFELD SPEECH "$2.3 TRILLION MISSING"

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

Jorge Jorvanivich
Where did Grainer's fortune actualy come from though, I don't see how as a governor of an impoverished state would have much leverage or anything to negotiate with when it comes to wheeling and dealing with others who would be in a position to help him grow such a fortune. Unless it was dealing with the cartels and completely illegal from the start., or is that why his state is so poor, he is stealing straight off the top from the people? Either way Dick is not doing anything of the sort. Yes he may have investments in the prison system and makes sure they stay busy, but hey that's how business works. You are not going to buy thousands of heads of cattle and then rally for vegetarians are you? Dick isn't stealing, him and his bunch convince (brainwash) the voters that the way things should be just happens to be the things that put money in his pocket...again business 101. The people that have a different point of view, make sure they can't vote, label them as felons.
 There is a lot of the same qualities in a thief, a shrewd businessman, and a politician and when you get either of the first two making or influencing the law chances are that person will become wealthy. The difference is one of them will be breaking the law and the other will rewrite the law.

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

Chimera
jlopez wrote
Idle curiosity: you think Cheney does not travel abroad because he's worried he will be charged with crimes against humanity? I haven't heard of him leaving the U.S.

Actually, Cheney, Bush nor Rumsfeld have left the U.S.*  It seems that the attorney who wrote the "torture memo" (Yoo?) hasn't either. I think they have all been indicted by one Spanish justice for war crimes, etc., -- that same judge who indicted, extadicted, tried and convicted ... ummm... (somebody help me! South American dictator. Sorry, my mental fog is a little heavy tonight.)

Also, I think some countries have either made formal warrants for them or said they eould seieze them for the other countries. And it seems some other administration members have been mentioned as not being able to leave the country for fear of arrest -- or riot!

*It seems that Rumsfeld went to Britain once not long after Bush left office? But Britain is sort of considered our cohort so he'd be ok to go there.

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

TheSwede
Didnt Cheny and Bush families buy hundreds of thousands of acres down in Paraguay?

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

nacho

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

Chimera
Pinochet!. Thank you. It's that same judge who has indicted Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, et. al. I don't think many people know that, or remember, so you're right, they're not in any danger of getting arrested. I think even if anyone did remember they probably would just have a chuckle, stamp the passport and wave them through. But, there are a lot of people who think they all should be tried, convicted and thrown in jail.  Or maybe just thrown under the jail.

Cheney, unfortunately, had divested of any Haliburton voting shares, responsibilities or obligation before he became VP.  Afterwards, I'm pretty sure he's kept himself clear, legally, on paper. He's a smart man.

No, you're right. None of these guys will ever be asked for by any other country and the U.S. wouldn't hand them over if they were.

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

Chimera
Yes. Yes, they did.  And there's others, too. I'm trying to remember, it's a weird collection -- like, a televangelist? Or something like that. Now I'm gonna have to go look it up. Thanks. :)

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

j.ward
The mega rich and even some companies like Nestle and T Boone Pickens the Bush Cartel and others have been buying huge land plots including the underground water rights above the largest fresh water aquifers in the world, the one in Paraguay is one of the largest. Water is the new oil, without it humans die, they are now quietly working behind the scenes for the privatization of water so they can enslave people. Search it and read all about it.

Re: The History of Mexico’s ‘Juniors’- (Those that drive Farraris and live in million dollar condos)

MrJayDub
Great read DD... Good work...