Thanks for the AFO story

elcienporcien

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

DD
@ elcienporcien.  The following is from a paper that was written in the year 2000 and lists the Hank Family itself as the 5th major cartel in Mx. at that time.

"There are probably a dozen Mexican syndicates that are involved in the drug trade. The six primary Mexican syndicates with international capabilities currently operating are as follows

5. The Hank family - A second family syndicate, the Hank Family, has been emerging of late as a powerful player in the drug trade. A recent U.S. government report stated that the Hank family has been so closely linked to drug trafficking that they are now seen as a serious threat to the United States (AFP, 6/2/99). This group is headed by Carlos Hank Gonzalez who is best known for his expansive and profitable transportation, construction, and financial empires in Mexico. He has also been said to hold significant influential power within the PRI. Carlos Hank Gonzalez and his two eldest sons, Carlos Hank Rhon and Jorge Hank Rhon, have been the target of a American investigation since 1997. The Hank Corporation, known as "Guapo Hank", has purchased or maintained control over several American banks, investment firms, transportation companies and real estate properties, and is involved in the gambling industry. Hank Gonzalez is a former mayor of Mexico City and held two separate cabinet posts under former President Carlos Salinas. It is alleged that his eldest son, Carlos Hank Rhon, launders drug money and had been closely associated with Amado Carillo Fuentes - the late head of the Juarez Cartel (AFP, 6/2/99). Carlos Hank Rhon has also been associated with Raul Salinas, the former president's brother, who was himself linked to drug trafficking and was ultimately convicted of the murder of one of his brother's political rivals. Jorge Hank Rhon, the younger of the two sons, lives in the northern border town of Tijuana and is a close associate of the Felix-Arellano brothers, the leaders of The Federation. Jorge is less discrete in his criminality than either his older brother or his father and has earned the reputation of being "ruthless, dangerous, and prone to violence against his enemies" (AFP, 6/2/99). Mexican Foreign Minister Rosario Green has rejected the accusations laid against the Hank family and has called such allegations nothing more than pure defamation laid against Mexico's top officials and business men. A far more likely scenario is that the Hank family may well have aligned themselves with The Federation, bringing a significant amount of resources and connections to an already extremely powerful entity."

The govt. report referred to above that linked the Hanks to organized crime was called Operation White Tiger, and statred that Carlos Hank Gonzales, and now his two sons- are so involved in drug trafficking and money laundering that they "pose a significant criminal threat to the United States."   A report by the World Policy Institute presented to the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, described Carlos Hank as the "primary intermediary between the multinational drug trafficking enterprises and the Mexican political system".

Just how powerful?  After the "White Tiger Report" was released which stated that the Hank family pose "a significant criminal threat to the United States",  Attorney General Janet Reno wrote the family a letter saying "the report had been improperly leaked and that she could not endorse its conclusions because it had not been properly vetted.  "

There is a lot more on the Hank family in a story, The Carlos Hank Dynasty; From Teacher to Godfather of Mexico,  I posted at http://borderland-beat-forum.924382.n3.nabble.com/The-Carlos-Hank-Dynasty-From-Teacher-to-Godfather-of-Mexico-tp4038241.html

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

elcienporcien

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

DD
@ elcienporcien.  Not trying to inflame, just inform.  I would like to do more on the Hank family, but you really have to go back to Salinas administration to understand their power.  And there is so much corruption in that story, it is easy to get sidetracked from the Hank story.  Would like to do more on the Hanks when I have time (and energy).

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

elcienporcien

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

DD
@elcienporcien.  Not many families at the level of power enjoyed by the Hank family.   How many other families have received a letter from the AG of the US apologizing for an official govt. report classifying them as drug traffickers and a danger to the US.

Remember it was Pappa Hank that made the famous statement that I think is now the unoffical creed of the PRI; "A politician who is poor is a poor politician” .

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

Tijuano
Lots of impunity with the Hank family, their bank is the one responsible for more than 50% of the debt in Coahuila.

His chief of bodyguards is right now confined in a Federal Prison, he is being accused of commanding a cell for the Arellano Felix Cartel.

Fun fact of the day: Jorge Hank just bought the soccer team of Culiacan, Sinaloa.

About the AFO article, thanks, I´m finishing part 2 right now, giving it the final details, should be up by tonight or tomorrow at noon.

Saludos from TJ!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

elcienporcien

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

Tijuano
It took me more than I thought but part 2 is on the mainpage.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

Lala
Thanks a lot Tijuano, you are putting up some very interesting articles, the first part was really good and I haven´t finished the second one yet because I´m too tired to read in English without getting lost haha, so I´ll finish tomorrow, but I´m half way there and enjoying it very much too.

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

Tijuano
Thanks! I hope part 3 takes me less time to write.

Saludos from TJ!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

elcienporcien

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

Tijuano
Glad you liked it!

Part 3 will begin with Ramon´s death, Benjamin´s capture, and Javier´s rise to power, I´ll try to find info on Chapo´s first days outside of Puente Grande, I still don´t know where part 3 will end since I´m still gattering up info.

Saludos!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

Tijuano, if you are interested in reading, I have a short (12 page) story about Inge, (fiction) I would like to see someones opinion who knows the character, it's mostly english, but don't think it would be a problem.

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

Tijuano
Hey J, I would definetly love to read it! Sending you a private message right now!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Thanks for the AFO story

Very informative reads!   Looking forward to part 3!