Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

spike151

REPORTED ON BBC.CO.UK

The governor of Texas has ordered 1,000 National Guard troops to the US border with Mexico to protect against what he described as criminals, human traffickers and drug cartels.

Rick Perry, a Republican, said he had to act because the federal government had failed to secure the border.

Mr Perry said the troops would work alongside law enforcement.

The move comes after a surge of unaccompanied Central American children crossed the border illegally.

More than 57,000 children, many fleeing gang violence and extreme poverty at home, have crossed the border since October.

In a news conference, Mr Perry said criminals would see the influx of children as an opportunity to be exploited. And he said that more than 203,000 "criminal aliens" had been held in Texas jails since 2008.

"There can be no national security without border security, and Texans have paid too high a price for the federal government's failure to secure our border," said Mr Perry, who ran unsuccessfully for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012 and has been named as a possible contender in 2016.

"The action I am ordering today will tackle this crisis head-on by multiplying our efforts to combat the cartel activity, human traffickers and individual criminals who threaten the safety of people across Texas and America."

The Texas National Guard deployment will cost the state of Texas as much as $12m (£7m) per month.

'Militarising the border'

President Barack Obama, a Democrat, has called for comprehensive immigration reform that would provide some path to legal status for the millions of undocumented immigrants living in the US as well as strengthen security at the border.

In response to the recent flood of illegal-immigrant children, Mr Obama has asked Congress for $3.7bn to hire extra immigration judges, provide drone surveillance of the border, and fund medical services. Republicans in Congress rejected the request.

In Texas, a spokesman for the Texas Democratic Party accused Mr Perry of "photo-op politics" that ignored the need for comprehensive immigration reform.

"Local law enforcement, elected officials, and faith and community leaders in the Rio Grande Valley have expressed concerned about militarising the border, the need to create a short-term humanitarian solution, and solving the long-term need for comprehensive immigration reform," Emmanuel Garcia said.

"Today, Governor Rick Perry ignored those voices."

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

juris
  Not a Rick Perry fan but I applaud this.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

El Regio
That is great news, the madness must stop immediately.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

dcm90

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Nuttz

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

FINALLY. We should deploy as many national guard resources we have to the border and SHUT IT DOWN.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Pinchegringo
303 wrote
FINALLY. We should deploy as many national guard resources we have to the border and SHUT IT DOWN.
While I also applaud his efforts, they wont' be able to do much.  Per Dallas Morning News write up about it:
This isn't the first time people have questioned the wisdom of sending National Guard troops to the border. In 2010, President Obama sent over 1,000 troops to the border. They weren't allowed to pursue or detain immigrants, "or investigate crimes, make arrests, stop and search vehicles, or seize drugs," The Washington Post reported in 2011. "Nor do they check Mexico-bound vehicles for bulk cash or smuggled weapons headed to the drug cartels." Basically, they keep watch and radio in any suspicious activity. Critics also argued that the National Guard's help cost an estimated $6,271 per person caught.
Border/Perry

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Yeah, this is nothing but a hack political stunt.

If Perry actually wanted to alleviate the crisis, he would be hiring child refugee advocates to help the government sort through these kids.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Nuttz

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Siskiyou_Kid
Child refugee advocates don't provide 'therapy'.

Advocates represent these children in front of an immigration judge, where they can qualify for asylum, if the advocate can reasonably suggest that they will fear for their safety if returned to their country of origin, or dumped in Mexico.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Nuttz

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Siskiyou_Kid
As Pinche Gringo reported from the Dallas Morning News:

This isn't the first time people have questioned the wisdom of sending National Guard troops to the border. In 2010, President Obama sent over 1,000 troops to the border. They weren't allowed to pursue or detain immigrants, "or investigate crimes, make arrests, stop and search vehicles, or seize drugs," The Washington Post reported in 2011. "Nor do they check Mexico-bound vehicles for bulk cash or smuggled weapons headed to the drug cartels." Basically, they keep watch and radio in any suspicious activity. Critics also argued that the National Guard's help cost an estimated $6,271 per person caught.

What exactly is the purpose of sending these troops to the border????????

JMB

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

JMB
They are there for "presence". Other than that they have no police powers by Constitution. It's a waste of money unless Texas has a bunch of unemployed people on the Guard rosters.

It would make more sense to take all ICE members working desk jobs and have them do a 6mo rotational tour in the "hot spots".

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Pinchegringo
JMB wrote
It would make more sense to take all ICE members working desk jobs and have them do a 6mo rotational tour in the "hot spots".
What would that accomplish exactly?  Are we trying to stem the flow of illegal immigrants by "catching them" or does the legislation need to be actually followed.  I have a Mexican friend who has been waiting 16 years for citizenship - her family puts several hundred thousand dollars into the economy every year yet b/c you cross the river, you should be able to stay unfettered?  Doesn't add up.  It's all politics at the end of the day and Dems are banking on the fact that these folks will vote their way.

Putting ICE or National Guard at the border only perpetuates the issue - those people WANT TO GET APPREHENDED.

Edit: How much money does it cost the US to transport (by plane) these folks up north, give them EBT cards to buy food, house them and nurse them if they get sick - a lot more than had you shipped them home.  It's amazing a country as welcoming as the US can be so fickle about which laws we dismiss.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

The commander of the Texas National Guard said the troops would be in an "observation role", whatever that means.  With all the Congressmen and Senators and other public officials, candidates for everything from dog catcher to Governor going down to the "Rio Grand Valley" to take a look see, and with all the media following all them and the BP agents around, it could get kind of crowded down there.

With that kind of crowd someone could get hurt in a "mistaken identity" situation.  The thing that might lessen that danger is that commander of the Texas National Guard would not answer a reporters question as to whether his troops would have "loaded" guns.

Sounds like a Barney Fife situation to me.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

spike151
DD I think the reason they are observers is , no national emergency has been raised in respect of the border , so the military have no authority or jurisdiction over civilians. I think its a legal matter.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

jlopez
I really cannot believe that all these people, especially the children, are crossing the border illegally because they are anxious to vote Democrat. Of course, this is what Republicans and Tea Party members are afraid of, but I am quite certain that you have to be a citizen of a certain age to be able to vote.

Migrations of populations has been going on for millennia. How do you think places like the Americas were populated to begin with? The reason the situation is so chaotic is that the U.S. immigration system is broken and cannot be repaired because of the current tantrums in Congress.

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

I think the charge is that the dems are accommodating the migrants so they will become citizens and dems.

That really is not a stretch, but not remotely in the minds of migrants.  Migrants are political pawns.  on both sides.

someone  told me that today, about dems wanting the migrants in for voting.  I countered with "In reality republicans are the ones that should be courting the latino vote, but the big mouth far right wing loonies are giving latinos a reason to stay away.  and maybe that is the real strategy, "let them hang themselves".

I was also told "most of these so called kids are 16 and 17 years old and are MS13"

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Nuttz

Re: Texas Governor Rick Perry to deploy 1000 troops to US/Mexico Border

Much of the noise about the children is political rhetoric from both Rep. and Dems.

The logic just doesn't add up.  People that say that ""most of these so called kids are 16 and 17 years old and are MS13" and that "dems are accomodating" them so that "they will become citizens  and dems" are ignoring reality.

How many MS13 members are likely to go through years of qualifying to become citizens?  If it is true that "most...are MS13" and if it were true that most of them will be granted asylum or refugee status, the dems would be committing political suicide.  Long before they could be granted citizenship and become dems the dems would be crucified for allowing them in followed by the crimes they would likely commit after gaining legal status.

This week the President warned Latin American leaders that most of those "children" would not be allowed to stay.

"In a White House meeting with the leaders of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, Obama had a tough-love message: his administration had compassion for the children, but not many would qualify for humanitarian relief or refugee status. "