Texas Death Row Last words

senorjoe
Thought this was interesting , database shows pretty much last words before the moment under the statement link.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_executed_offenders.html

Texas executes more inmates than any other state, but its gone are not forgotten. The state memorializes its executed with a morbidly fascinating online database containing each inmate's last statement, the New York Times reports. Some praise a deity, some tell their family they love them one last time, some apologize for their crimes ... some cheer for their favorite sports team. "Go Cowboys!" said Jesse Hernandez, 28, who was executed last year. For some critics of the death penalty, the database is simply perverse. "The death penalty is a process, not an act, and posting the final words of a condemned person after a process which has usually lasted a decade or more is simply a disservice," says a human rights expert from Southern Methodist University in Dallas. "How is one to assess the phrase of 'Go Cowboys!' from a man on a gurney?"

In the last 30 years, Texas has executed more people than Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Virginia combined. But although the final statements may help humanize the condemned for some observers, Jim Willett, a retired warden who personally witnessed 89 statements in his three years at the Walls Unit prison in Huntsville, says none of them shook his support for the death penalty. "You can hear it in their voices sometimes and in their delivery that they are sincerely hurting for the pain that they put their own family through," he says. (Texas on Wednesday performed its 500th execution

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

Pinchegringo
Interesting article.  Being from Texas, i figured there would be far more than 500 since '82.

Thanks for sharing.  I like to see that some of them are contrite when going to the other side.  Showing compassion at the end is really what the families want anyway.

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

_Jack

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

Phineas
This documentary was quite good!

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

Jorge Jorvanivich
 Most of them are very religious now. Almost all of them spoke of "being able to feel it." A couple of them made reference to it burning, I wonder if that is a result of their new found religion. They are now on the highway to hell.

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

Mexico-Watcher
Thanks for the heads up on the Texas executions data base.  I started reading it and it blew my mind at the information contained therein.  I only stopped reading it because I had to get some zzzz.

I could not find any faults in the database.  As a social scientist, I saw some things I could use in my interest in Mexico's issues with violence.

Mexico-Watcher

then as a reference you want to check this site.
http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/NACJD/

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

senorjoe
Updated for 2016

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

1966tinman
I had a friend of a friend  named Lionel Rodriguez who murdered a 20 year old girl and took her car so he could continue on a drug and alcohol binge back in 1991 in Houston . I attended the sentencing phase of the trial where he showed no remorse for his crime . After  the jury sentenced him  to death he was being led away and was asked by  news reporters for his reaction . he calmly said , " Let's do it " . and smiled . He spent about 13 years on death row and never made a last statement or requested a last meal .  He died peacefully compared to his victim who suffered an agonizing  last minutes of her life for no logical reason . I am a firm supporter of the death penalty because I have personally  witnessed violent deaths . I believe that it may not deter some crimes but it does punish those that deserve it .

Was this the case you were referring too?
http://www.txexecutions.org/reports/395-Lionell-Rodriguez.htm

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

1966tinman
@Senorjoe
Yeah that was one of my friend's best friend  . I was under the impression that Lionel never gave a last statement to the victims family . I remember that he was into doing cocaine and drinking heavily , something that conflicted with his step-father's rules   .  The step-father was a sheriff's deputy in a town outside of Houston and had kicked Lionel out for stealing from the home . There was another acquaintance  who weeks earlier had gone by the rented house that my cousin and I rented  to ask for some money . I had a screen door and gave him $20 dollars  through a slit instead of allowing him into the house . He went down the street to a drug dealer's apartment , where he  robbed and  murdered him . A few days later he turned himself in after having spent all the money and having used all the drugs . That guy was given a 45 year sentence unlike Lionel who ended up on death row .

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

WonderBread
I like to read the roster from time to time.  most of them deserve to die.  those folks have done some evil shit to people

Re: Texas Death Row Last words

O that is interesting Senor Joe.Some of my non BB friends would even be interested in a forward.It will take me awhile to read all 500 but it will get done so please don't delete it.