Tahmooressi RELEASED

tuSancho

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

I think this is a good thing and good for the judge really evaluating the need for treatment and that he meant no harm.  but someone needs to take his damn guns away.  I thought if one has a mental disorder you could not get a license?

There is a good article at UTSD

A friend says he was already released

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

tuSancho
He's probably somewhere destressing.  I imagine the first 24 hours of free air after that is very welcome.  I can't wait to hear his version and the story that has not been completely filled in yet.

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

deelucky1
If that would have been me they would have gave me 100 years what a slap on the wrist.

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

Ariel Fornari
A Rambo #wannabe who should be under treatment at a VA hospital.  If he was drawing 100% service-connected disability for PTSD, he should've been truckin' on a 3/4 ton diesel job at least, heh heh.

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

Tijuano
Chivis wrote
I think this is a good thing and good for the judge really evaluating the need for treatment and that he meant no harm.  but someone needs to take his damn guns away.  I thought if one has a mental disorder you could not get a license?

There is a good article at UTSD

A friend says he was already released
I´ve been watching this story all afternoon, If I understand this well He wasn´t released because the judge thought he needed treatment but because PGR dropped the charges against him. (I´m 100% sure this is a result of US Government pressure).

I´m no lawyer, but my understanding of Mexican law is that no matter if He was/is sick(mentally) or if He didn´t knew the law, He was supposed to go to trial and if the law as is written was to be applied he would have been sentenced for possession of illegal weapons.

I´m sure the guy is sick, as you told me once, anyone who tries to escape "ninja style" from a TJ prison is nuts!, but that rarely has any effect on a conviction here in Mexico.

I have not read a SINGLE comment on the news sites with a positive view of this, at least not in Mexican websites. All the comments I´m reading are either calling the judge a sellout, EPN´s Government a puppet of the US or another proof of Mexico being a failed state. People are pissed off by this right now.

Anyway, Tahmooressi is free and as far as I know he has already been transferred to the US, a special operation took place hours ago down here in the San Ysidro border so He must already be back in the US.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113480212865668318754/videos?pid=6076698158159982434&oid=113480212865668318754

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

deelucky1
anybody want to watch for free email me   got the link for it

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

Tijuano

The argument by his Mexican lawyer and apart of the agreement which had stalemated for months was

"the grounds for the dismissal were that he is unfit to stand trial because he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder."

The agreement states that the US would provide the treatment immediately.  He was greeted in SD by family and flew on a private jet to Fla to be live with  his mother and go in for treatment.  That is why is had just arrived in SD for treatment, but in fla he will have family support.

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

Rambo wanna be who was deployed and served honorably twice.  PTSD is a horrible infliction.  I have a family member who came back from war with it and never was the same.

It is easy to be judgmental behind a keyboard

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

mofle619
I had no issue with tahmooressi at all, my issue was with all of the xenophobia surrounding this case.  Xenophobic politicians and a xenophobic public.  To the extent that there was a plan to block the border.  Now you are directly messing with people's lives.

If the judge released him because he is innocent or because he truly needs ptsd help then that is fine.  People calling for his immediate release before he goes to trial because fox news and other news outlets took interest in this particular case isn't right.

As I posted before, I feel bad for the guy but he needs to go through a proper trial and if the judge decides he should be free then that's its. Had he been released immediately or before going though the proper judicial process especially with the evidence presented against him then this would just reinforce the idea that the US can just push you around to make you do what they want which I think is the general consensus on both sides of the border

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

hmmmmm, ok

My focus was only about him.  Are you really going to acknowledge stupid?  I don't waste my time.

Looking at the case on merit, Mexico could have convicted him, easily.

At the core there is a man who entered a foreign nation with arsenal reminiscent of a table at a narco perp presentation.

I know how easy to make an error in the same way he did, so I can believe it is possible he did not intend to go into Mexico, but I concede perhaps he did.

So for me, I had no hard position on the actual charge.  and would not have faulted Mexico had they found him guilty and imprisoned him for that alone.

So then the court weighs the extraneous evidence and  mitigating factors.

Nations grant humanitarian releases.  Behind the scenes was a negotiation that was not hard pressed by the US in fear of offending Mexico.  SO it took time and Mexico was provided with evidence of his mental illness from medical professionals, explanations of the mental illness and proof that he was in SD (la jolla) for treatment of his illness at a facility that specializes in treatment of PTSD for those affected presenting  a high level illness.

I heard Governor Richardson last night.  He says that Tahmooressi has not only deteriorated  in his condition but physically as well.  He said the reason the marine was released was his illness, that Mexico agreed that he is not only ill, but that the US can provide the medical treatment he needs.   The last thing Mexico would want is for Tahmooressi to die in their care.

He should have never been sent to SD without family support, someone with him.  In Fla he is surrounded by family, they will watch over him.  I mentioned this before but he should not have even one weapon.  I thought his illness prohibited being licensed.

I applaud Mexico for doing the right thing in this case.  I discount Mexicans reaction of outrage, because  they don't understand the illness or the facts.  "Gringo with guns is released"  that's all they hear and know.

 many of the Mexico populous have PTSD, and even more children, exposed to the horror of the drugwar atrocities.  I have written that I am very concerned about the children of the drugwar, I have spoken to them.  When they speak of the "badguys" barging into their home, taking a father, killing their family, seeing a gutted body on the way to school, when speaking of it they go into a mode I can only describe as hypnotic, out of body.  Obviously compartmentalizing emotions.  That is bad.  They will never get treated.  I worry what the future holds for them and Mexico.

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

tuSancho
Exactly, abuela.  Normal thinking people, in total, do not do what he did, all together.  Each element, except for having the guns loaded, was relatively innocent even if against Mexican law.  I think I want to write something on this.  Not quite like Tijuano's rant but a personal perspective.

I think this 'event', including it antecedents, needs to be rationally explained.  To me, it provides an almost perfect example of the system working.  With many mis-steps its results were correct and would have probably ended that way in any democratic country court process.  Mexico uses a different process than Mexico but the outcome was the same as if it was done in the USA.  At least hypothetically.

The facts of the matter have been so far inflated and distorted most people have no idea of anything very factual and are overwhelmed by emotion of one sort or another in one degree or another.

There is not much culpability here, across the board.  If you rationally step back and look at the picture from a longer perspective, that of the days leading up to the last approximately 214 days (not long, 7 months) and those days since, the process flew by.  Everyone did their job properly except for the initial bad lawyers, including the external influences like mother, pressure groups and US government.  To me this includes the Mexican government and Tahmooressi himself.

People anywhere, either side of the border and world wide will make politics out of anything.  With political tensions unique to each country on either side of the border the Tahmooressi case became a Petri dish for politics and emotion... it was meant to be.  But out of that abyss came justice.  Justice over came injustice.  To me the only emotions that can be rationalized are those of the mother and his kindred.  The fear and feelings coming from no control can cause parents, family members and comrades to become irrational; it's normal under the circumstances.  Americans are acculturated to have a first response to like this when anyone is 'locked up in a Mexican jail'.  Fear and hopelessness strike first.

Nevertheless, in a quick seven months the Marine is free in his home country and will be treated.  As it should be.

Someday I will do something like a timeline or flow chart demonstrating visually what I am saying above.

Mexico should be proud of their system working in this case instead of criticizing it.  The criticism los paisas should be expressing is more disgust with a corrupt government who governs its own people without delivering the justice Tahmooressi received.  Only the poor and disenfranchised stay in Mexican jail.  It has nothing to do with guilt or justice.

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

tuSancho
Again, agreed Chivis, and the significance of 'mitigating' factors is the outstanding origin of common law.  And, it is the distinction between Mexico's civil/codified/Napoleanic/Roman system, and the US's common law (English) system.

On top of the process differences, the concept of bail used in both countries is used (or not) much differently by each.

The average American cannot process the Mexican system mentally because they don't know how it works, in theory.  Granted Tahmooressi's case followed theory more than most but the system can be perceived rationally when understood.

And, I predict, if it hasn't been done already, there will be much written about the psychic trauma in Mexican drama resulting from the fear, unknowing, and violence.  Children with their faces carved off leave scars on everyone.

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

pilot
Agree with you, that wasn't fair he should have spent in jail at least 8 years as minimum but always us govt do what he wants to do

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

deelucky1
What a lucky guy to get a break like that hope he stays out of trouble

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

tuSancho
I think some Mexican folks have their anger and attention misplaced.  Of course, like anything else, a lot of talk, not much action.  Why aren't Mexicans outraged with Dr Mireles still in prison with a corrupt failed system.  Tahmooressi, is out because the system worked right.  Mexicans feel this way because civil Napoleonic is all they know.  They should hope for judicial reform instead of more people being jailed unjustly.  So many Mexican crabs crawling around Mexico.  I am hoping for the chispa which will get them off of their asses.  So far things just keep getting worse and Mexico seems to be wallowing in the pain like crawling pilgrims.

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

tuSancho
Chivis, this is a very good item playing in the past couple of days on NPR.  There is a segment on the affect of the violence on children, specifically in Michoacan, along with many other interesting items.  It's worth a complete listen...

http://www.prx.org/pieces/103322-mexico-uncovered

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

deelucky1
judical reform sounds about right the one they have now only helps criminals get their get out of jail card faster

Re: Tahmooressi RELEASED

he has conducted an interview with Greta on fox...I think it airs tomorrow