TAMPS RESCUED MIGRANTS SAY INM AGENTS GAVE THEM TO KIDNAPPERS OFF OF BUSES...AS MX FIRES 7 DIRECTORS

TAMPS RESCUED MIGRANTS SAY INM AGENTS GAVE THEM TO KIDNAPPERS OFF OF BUSES...AS MX FIRES 7 DIRECTORS

Mexican authorities fired seven regional directors of the country's immigration agency Thursday following allegations that its officers in northern Mexico had delivered Central American migrants to kidnapping gangs.

Salvador Beltran del Rio, who heads the National Migration Institute, described the firings as part of a wider effort to weed out corruption in the agency, which enforces Mexico's immigration laws. Mexican officials have vowed to fight armed groups that kidnap migrants to extort money or recruit them for drug-trafficking.

Beltran del Rio announced steps to tighten and speed screening of immigration agents and other functionaries in states traversed most often by Central American migrants en route to the United States.

Regional directors were replaced along a wide swath where migrant-smuggling and allegations of rights abuses run rampant: the states of Tamaulipas, Veracruz, Tabasco, Oaxaca, Mexico, San Luis Potosi and Quintana Roo.

The new supervisors "will have as an immediate task carrying out a cleanup of personnel who work for them," the agency said in a statement announcing the firings.

Migrant-rights groups have long accused police and Mexican immigration agents of colluding with kidnappers.

Six INM agents in the northern border state of Tamaulipas were placed in detention last month on suspicion of detaining migrants and delivering them to kidnappers.

In a separate case, a group of Central Americans rescued in Tamaulipas last month identified INM agents as those who seized the migrants from a bus and handed them to kidnappers. The migrants were among 120 people, mostly from Mexico, freed by Mexican soldiers in operations in Tamaulipas.

Officials have not said whether Mexican immigration agents might have played a role in the kidnappings of 72 Central and South American migrants who were found slain in a rural stretch of Tamaulipas last year.

By some estimates, 400,000 migrants cross Mexico each year on a trek that has grown more perilous as armed drug gangs increasingly target migrants, often in order to demand money from relatives in Central America or the United States

Re: TAMPS RESCUED MIGRANTS SAY INM AGENTS GAVE THEM TO KIDNAPPERS OFF OF BUSES...AS MX FIRES 7 DIRECTORS

Havana
I've been hearing bits of this deplorable story for the last few days. And just when I think nothing can surprise me, regarding particular bureaucrats being complicit with crimes, this does because it involves seven states and directors. They are so deeply entrenched in the criminal process. Who know how long this has been going on at a more discreet level.  Taking 2 sometimes, 3 others etc. The nature of taking advantage of those who are in such a vulnerable position is just plain shameful. These are fellow humans!!?? There is no chance of bettering their situation when they go from the bus to pure hell.  Honestly,  Mexico can do better than this.  It should make an example these directores diablos and not accept this level of corruption.  But what do I know, I'm just really disgusted.

Re: TAMPS RESCUED MIGRANTS SAY INM AGENTS GAVE THEM TO KIDNAPPERS OFF OF BUSES...AS MX FIRES 7 DIRECTORS

drattler
You have to ask yourself at some point,is there any level of Mexican government that is not ROTTEN, whats up with Mexicans??  They will do virtually anything ,no matter how cold ,dispicable for money. How in hell can these people be made civalized?? In the world there are groups that are totally worthless Nigeria,Somalia, Iraque,Congo,Sudan, how about Mexico?? The only Irony is that Mexico borders the USA,problem is the shit of Mexico is staining the US instead of the US being a positive influence on Mexico. Ignorant hoards,breeding like rats,infiltrating  the US Bankrupting the US Welfare state demanding ENTITLMENTS selling drugs,80% of felony cases in Montgomery County Texas are Latino virtually all court appointed lawyers ?? WHATS UP WITH MEXICANS ??

Re: TAMPS RESCUED MIGRANTS SAY INM AGENTS GAVE THEM TO KIDNAPPERS OFF OF BUSES...AS MX FIRES 7 DIRECTORS

I am so disgusted with this.  It is a huge betrayal to the Mexican people, IMO this is a greater crime than the cartels themsleves.  Positions of fiduciary duty are held to a greater standard and any betrayal of that responsibilty should receive the max prison sentence.

This is why no one in Mx calls the police, or seeks help.