TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED/NARCO STATE..SAYS MEXICO CITY ANALYST

TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED/NARCO STATE..SAYS MEXICO CITY ANALYST

TAMAULIPAS: A FAILED STATE?  Those of us in Mexico know, have known,  that all the attention is focused on Juarez, and clearly horrific acts by cartel criminals occur there, but the real story is Tamaulipas, largely ignored by the press.  Tamps is more than one city with great violence but an entire state in the control of narcos, from municipals to the state gov and every agency they wish to direct.  The actual numbers of murders in Tamps is unknown, for the Government has not thought it important to keep a tally.  Up until 2009 there was a humanitarian group that did their best to keep some sort of tally of deaths, but they abruptly left Tamps.  In my opnion the number is larger than Chihuahua, it simply has to be.  Tamps is the only state in Mexico that entire towns have been disrupted and one town, Mier, found itself abandon and left to Golfo and Zetas to fight it out.  In my Mier Refugee Project we went to the shelter in Miguel Alamen and spoke to the refugees, the elderly could not do more than cry, rather than expressing their feelings aloud.  Children told us the horror of seeing their fathers "taken" by the "bad guys" or gruesome corpse' lying in their yard with intestines exposed or heads cracked open.  Children in monotone voices telling real life horror stories while never allowing emotions to surface.  Tamps is the real story and if this latest discovery of graves containing 120 bodies does not peak interest by the world press...nothing will.

excerpt
'No control'
Some people in Mexico go as far as saying the federal government has lost Tamaulipas.
"Neither the regional nor federal government have control over the territory of Tamaulipas," says Alberto Islas, a security analyst in Mexico City.
"For example criminal groups are more effective at collecting 'taxes' than Tamaulipas' own government," he adds, explaining that cartels have become organised crime groups, which as well as trafficking narcotics, also extort and kidnap.
The federal government disputes this view, saying the violence in the state is confined to a few municipalities and that it has made advances in the fight against cartels.
It also says that in a country gearing up for presidential elections next year, criticism of their security strategy is politically motivated. The conflict will be a major campaign issue.
But everyone seems to agree that the situation is serious.
"It is a critical situation of national emergency," says former head of the Mexican government's organised crime unit Samuel Gonzalez Ruiz.
"This is a war between drug dealers that has gotten out of hand," he says.
"The weakness of the region's government allowed them to fight and these are the results we are seeing...

full story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-13061452

Video of Mier once one of Mexico's Magical Pueblo tranformed inot Pueblo Fantasm  (ghost town)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj0RYoHbLV4

and below the LA Times article: The Troubled State of Tamaulipas;

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2010/11/tamaulipas-nuevo-laredo-ciudad-mier-hidalgo-reynosa.html

Pics of the Central American Journey:

  Mural in Guatemala depicts migrants journey..knowing the danger, knowing of the kidnappings, the 6 of 10 women (some children) raped, the torture, and the killings..They are well aware of the perilous journey that takes an average of 20 days from the South Mexican border to the US-Mexican border, but abject poverty is the engine that motivates the migrants to go, to seek employment that will provide a life for their families.  Map ofCentral American Routes to Mexico The Journey Begins

  A street Vendor's favorite shirt..captures his philosophy
                                                                                                           crossing the river into Mexico

Central Americans kidnappings total 22-35 thousand each year.  They are given three choices; pay ransom, join the cartel, die....this pic is the Tamps 72 from August 2010

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

ArmChairIntellect
It's sad to see this.... But if we think about it some of the worst incidents have occurred there.  The mass graves alone....  They walk around in the open there, road blocks, mass kidnappings, so many innocents... How many people are involved in that state?  Do you think its something like 60% know someone, who knows someone?  Buela have come across any data that suggests how much of the population in Mexico is in someway involved?  Including the victims, because most of the time the claim that it was something "Narco Related" you know what I mean?  How far has this narco culture truly penetrated society?

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

Dear ACI

Absolutely I agree that Tamps is apart from the rest of the states with violence, they are simply different  Mexico needs to concentrate on Tamps and the outside media needs to began writing about what exists there, because up to now they haven't.  But I am firm in my belief that the big story is there.

There are a few things that I repeat often because they are issues that are misunderstood or a part of some myth about Mexico.  Here goes one, that will help answer your Q about data that reflects involvement by citizens.  only 1/3 of Mexican states have this high level of violence, and they are primarily but not exclusively the border states from BC to Tamps and of course others such as Sinaloa etc...comprises one third.  an additional third is as safe as the US, this is measured by murders per capita incidents per 100K.  and the remaining third safer than the US., so to answer your question no narco related business has not premeated the Mexican society.

As for data, that it is tough one.  I would suggest you start here:
http://www.unodc.org/
and here:

http://www.unodc.org/documents/wdr/WDR_2010/World_Drug_Report_2010_lo-res.pdf

it will have everything that is availble in stats and a whole bunch of stuff like human trafficking, eploitation of children etc not just drug.  It is an excellent resource.  I have a lot more if you want more just ask.
also I recommend George Grayson's book MEXICO Narco-Violence and a Failed State?

To be more clear with reference to you Q about involement, it is not high but prevalent.  What I mean not a high percentage overall but most families have a cousin, or brother, or friend in the life.  everyone knows someone. BUT they sure will not admit it.  My staff denied knowing any narcos but in the end when they felt secure they revealed a cousin, or a friend or whatever.  Narcos have families.  most don't look like the pics we see, they look like any other family, their kids go to school, church, belong to clubs, sports etc.  Narco's come to my centers for conferences about their children, they have a some what normal LOOKING life.  But perhaps when you are invited to a baby shower or child's birthday there are those guys in the front by the door, the ones that never smile.  That is very scary to me, so once I "know" I never get involved again on a personal level.  My own sweet secretary married one.  Her life completly changed she has everything now but looks so sad.

Most Mexicans are honest, caring, hard working people who are family oriented, we Mexicans are nothing without our family.

I don't know if I answered you question, but the reports will help.

Thanks so much for caring.

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

drattler
Tamp. is a mess, the most shocking thing is that a meaningful offensive has not been mounted. The firepower of the Mexican military can not be matched by narcos,but the narcos have intel thru local assets and can usually avoid the awkward military operations, this is known so ,improvise and overcome. Make a sweep kill them all,free fire zone. Helicopters with mini guns . The state is indeed corrupt,who cares trump the state with federal assets do not even involve the state or local police. Bring in a squadron of US Apaches they love killing.

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

You are 100% correct!

I do not understand why an all out offensive was not done 18 months ago.  or even sooner.  It is disgraceful, that is why I am disgusted with the gove todaay announcing they were going after Z-capos.  that is such bullshit.  Why announce it?  the conquering heroes?  no they are the bastards that allowed Tamps to become what it is today, and what it is IMO the the most dangerous, out of control, ruled by narcos state of the mexican union.  its all show my friend..

They promised they would bring justice when the Tamps72 were discovered.  They promised they were not leaving until that occurred. and today deja vu!  Blakey Boy said the same damn thing,,,he was not leaving until the cuprits were behind bars and accountability was secured.  Yeah well I thought, oh boy there will be some fast arrests, maybe guilty perps maybe future wrongfully convicted, but it will be soon.  so within hours more than a dozen police arrested for the crime.

give me a break

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

kylesam
Just heard they found another 10 bodies...so the total count is 126.

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/notas/759009.html

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

jajaja yep!  I was going to post but trying to find a better article.. I found a good one in Malaysia..  also the graves in sinaloa and TJ  too much death

construyamos la paz

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

ArmChairIntellect

So basically everyone know someone.  If everyone knows someone, then we all know the killers, the rapist or people that know these people.  Do you see where I am going with this.  Everyone is in some way psychologically held hostage because so many are involved in the narco culture.  If it is not through blood or friendship it certainly is maintain by fear.  Mexico has a guerrilla war going on, this war is without ideology and that's scary.  At least an ideology is usually defined by shared motivations.  With the narcos their motivations are individual. They think for themselves and perhaps even their friends and family?  They think about the nice things, who doesn't want nice things?  They get tripped up in this thing just trying to make a buck.  Before they know it they are strung out doing whatever anyone asks of them.  Now they are monsters.  How can someone earn back a soul that has already been sold?  How or what could unsow the damage that has been inflicted?  And everyone is guilty because we all know these people.  We all just watch not saying a word.  Silence.  These are your friends, your family, people you work with, people you grew up with, how do you confront that.  We even admit it.

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

But no one really thinks of it as them being killers or rapists.  they don't look or act like such a thing, they know it exists but think of those they know personally as good people doing illegal things like selling DVDs or drugs and it is about business.  Remember fear and repsect are often hard to define the difference.

I should state that not everyone in Mexico knows someone...that is is the 1/3 states that have Narco violence.  2/3 Mexico does not and never will because the territory is not important to drug traffic.  So 2/3 the country none of this applies to

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

Havana
Buela-Why have you been censored?

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

I was not censored...at least here.  it is Sr. Chivo

I don't know what it said...but this is ruining the dynamics of forum.
Makes me want to pick up my toys and go home.

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

Voz de la Verdad

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

I am not sure what happened and I did not read the posts going back and forth.

But it makes me angry and sad

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

Voz de la Verdad

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

I honestly don't know what happened!  I still have not read the comments and will not.  I like Sr. Chivo but think he over reacted and fed into it.  That is sad.  Mr. Buggs has to do what he feels is best.  SO we must respect that, if or if not we would have reacted differently.  NO ONE gets paid on this blog.  I chose to post stories on forum because of the interaction with readers.  The main board does not allow that relationship with readers, but after all these chingasos of the past week I wonder if I am in the correct forum.

I would recommend to Sr. Chivo the same as I give to others and did myself...if someone rubs your nalgas the wrong way..ignore or it will be a ridiculous no win Blog-War.  Like me and E1  oil and water and it led to some regrettable exchanges.  SO when I see ARDENT I keep on truckin...

I was so upset at what is happening I almost changed my profile picture to this..JAJAJAJA...but thought better of it.

Mr. Buggs please don't shut down the forum...we will play nice....RIGHT EVERONE??????????

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

kylesam
I do not know what happen either but I know one thing for sure Voz de la Verdad is Chivo jaja...and by the way Buela you are so cool. I wish I had a grandma like you, NICE PIC JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA could not stop laughing.

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

I won't dare say "but you ARE mny grandson"  look what happened last time...  JAJAJAJA

Re: MEXICO CITY ANALYST SAYS TAMAULIPAS IS A FAILED STATE

ArmChairIntellect
BB is awesome and is no place to play like a child, GrandeGoat did this continuously.  He was 49 and behaved like a 2 year old often.  I thought the message sent with Swanka was a clear enough warning but he continued to cause drama, and I for one am glad he was banned.  Its one thing if we don't all agree but it was getting pretty immature and out of control.  He did put up some good threads but in the end he created more headache than he was worth.  I support Buggs and all of BB, they need this BS to end.

I too also hope this forum remains up, but if we keep making this a chore for the BB staff I would not hold it against them if they decided enough was enough.  They do so much for us for so very little, we don't need to make any more work for them because we are being petty.