Six killed in Mexico City attack

DD

Mexico City officials continue to insist that drug cartels are not operating in the city.  As proof, they point out that grenade attacks and massacres have not occurred in the city.

Six people, including two minors, were shot to death inside a Mexico City home in a possible dispute among drug gangs, authorities said Tuesday.

Among those slain were a 13-year-old girl and a 15-year-old boy, according to a source with the prosecutor's office.

The adult victims were a man and three women, the source said, adding some were members of the same family.

Mexico City Attorney General Rodolfo Rios said the killings late Monday in Cuautepec could be revenge for last week's slaying of an alleged drug dealer.

The northern neighborhood of Cuautepec is near Mexico state, which in recent months has seen an increase in killings linked to drug cartels.

But the capital's image of tranquility hasn't been spared and last year 12 young people were kidnapped from an after-hours bar in a normally calm downtown district of Mexico City. Their bodies were found months later in a clandestine grave in the neighboring state of Mexico. Authorities also attributed those killings to a dispute between rival drug dealing gangs.

http://news.yahoo.com/6-killed-mexico-city-apparent-revenge-attack-205350459.html

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/six-killed-in-mexico-city/1144582.html

Re: Six killed in Mexico City attack

TexcocoDeMora
http://narcconoticias.blogspot.com/

Re: Six killed in Mexico City attack

Tijuano
DD wrote
Mexico City officials continue to insist that drug cartels are not operating in the city.  As proof, they point out that grenade attacks and massacres have not occurred in the city.
WTF? Neither have we seen them lately in TJ and I´m sure nobody will say there are no cartels here!

Whoever said that is full of crap.

BTW, wasn´t Mancera(Mexico City´s mayor) the previous Public safety director or something like that? HE KNOWS there are cartels there.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
JMB

Re: Six killed in Mexico City attack

JMB
They're playing with words.

Like most Countries, there is a huge differentiation between your every day Drug (street) Dealers and Cartels.

ex. The Street Dealers are like Rite Aid and Walgreens, while the Cartels are like Bayer and Pfizer.  The street dealers are independent contractors selling product. However, they aren't part of the product manufacturing company.

That's my take on the logic they use when saying certain things.

Re: Six killed in Mexico City attack

K_Mennem
I think El DF (Mexico City) has historically been known as more of a safe-haven for upper echelon organized crime members in years past. It is fairly easy for anyone to blend into this massive city, money can be blown without anyone noticing, and anyone can disappear just as quickly into the metropolis.

Local drug gangs have taken the blame for all the local violence, but I think its obvious that at some point there is support and conflict from the larger cartels. These gangs have to get their narcotics and weapons somewhere. It would be naive to think that the nations capital and a metro of over 21 million doesnt have an element of almost every organized crime group in the region. Now they may not be chopping off a dozen heads a day but there is a lot of money to be made in El DF. Drug consumption has risen significantly in the capital over the last decade.

The city is still relatively safe when comparing crime rates, but it is a blurred line between street gangs and cartels at this point.

I do believe some of the things we see like the Gulf Cartel recruiting in Tepito are not real. I think that was merely to weed out some unfaithful and cartel wanna-bes in the area.

Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera declared today that additional federal troops will be mobilized for security at the city's border with Morelos and Mexico states. Security elements will be drawn from the army, navy and federal police.

These police may be needed in these areas, as they are some of the more violent, but again it appears as if the blame is being placed on outside Mexico City and not on itself.