Should the Mx people be armed?

Probably 1/2 of the comments on this and other blogs say something like "if the people were allowed to have guns, they could defend themselves and the violence would stop".  or "Shoot on sight".
I must admit that I have given some thought to trying to get a gun to defend myself and my family.  And if I got one I would want one of equivalent firepower as the cartels have or maybe a 12 guage shotgun.
But lets imagine some scenarios where the people, or just a 1/2 or 1/3 of them had guns.
Scenario number one:  Your cousin in the next block calls you at 2AM and says "some guys are trying to break into my house, please help me" or says "there are some guys out front shooting at my house".  You get your gun and start for your cousins house (ok, maybe you wouldn't do it for your cousin, so imagine it is your sister or mother).  Some guy across the street a few houses down that you don't know, having heard the commotion comes running out of his house with his gun, sees you running down the street with a gun, assumes you are one of the bad guys, boom! you are dead.
Scenario number 2:  You have started carrying your gun in your car because of all carjackings and shootouts on the street.  You come up behind or beside a car with 4 or 5 rough looking guys in it and you can see the guy in the passenger seat has a AK 47.  What do you do?  Wait and see what they do? Turn off and go the other way?  Or just start shooting, assuming they must be cartel guys?  IMO there are a bunch of idiots out there that would just start shooting.  Maybe they were cartel and were going to shoot you at the next light for the fun of it, but maybe they were just a bunch of rough looking construction workers who had just gotten paid and one of them had brought his gun to keep from getting robbed on the way home.
I know some will say many people in the US have guns and they don't go around shooting people.  But the situation is not the same.  IMO the people in Mx might be a little more trigger happy because in some areas it is almost like living in a war zone.  If you came out of your house in Afghanistan with a gun and there was a US patrol coming into your neighborhood looking for a bad guy, you would probably be dead.  Shoot, ask questions later.
I am teaching my 15 year old son how to drive.  The first advice I gave was to assume every other driver on the road was an idiot who does not know how to drive, or they are drunk.  Drive defensively.  In many was it is analogous to arming the people in Mexico.  Do it cautiously.

Re: Should the Mx people be armed?

dario
Yes they should. They have the right as human beings to protect themselves whether its a business owner against cartels or an elderly woman against a burglar. Guns are equalizers.

That being said I don't think mass arming will do much good against the cartels. It won't save people from death. It will mean that sicarios instead turn homes and cars into swiss cheese instead of kidnapping the people first. That might be better than nothing if it stops the disappearances and torture but it won't turn the tide. The best a citizen can hope is to kill a sicario or two before dying himself even though I think the cartels will change tactics.

Anybody who has seen a convoy knows that people in a home or a car are not and will never be a match against a cartel convoy especially if its Zetas.

It has to be done because the people should have rights but we can't listen to the American NRA and pretend it will somehow solve the problem.

Re: Should the Mx people be armed?

†.©ĤİVǾ.†

Re: Should the Mx people be armed?

Barbon
I'm willing to bet that a lot of regular decent Mexican citizens are already armed I mean I know I would be by now if I was in Mexico and with the way things are its not like the authorities are even worried about that when they got huge problems to tackle already plus what the hell would they even do? go round and arrest a few hundred thousand citizens for having guns? yeh rite.

I'm sure many would rather be armed and risk jail than not be armed and risk torture and death.