Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

After accepting that the United States Government would take $250,000 from him that was from revenue earned by drug trafficking, Serafín Zambada Ortiz is still waiting to be sentenced by a federal judge in the Southern District of California from the USDOJ, which is scheduled for May of this year.

The money seized during his acceptance of guilt, that took place on September 27, would have been delivered in cash to the United States Government, although the Department of Justice of United States (USDOJ) would not specify who made delivery of the money.

"In those cases, who delivered the money are the lawyers of the accused," said Luis Carrillo, who is an expert in criminal cases and has his offices in Los Angeles, California.

The transfer of money and property is part of an agreement made between Zambada Ortiz, and lawyers with the Southern California Prosecutor, in which the accused also agreed to cooperate with prosecutors to dismantle the organization that his father, Ismael Zambada, El Mayo, who commands the organization, and to address other members of the organization of the Sinaloa Cartel, including their leaders.

Eye of the Ant

Although officially Zambada Ortiz is incarcerated in the prison's maximum-security Metropolitan Correctional Center (MCC) in San Diego, sources of the penitentiary system of the United States (BOP) pointed out that they no longer have him in their power and that they do not know where he could be.

According to the information obtained by Ríodoce, it was on July 3, three months before he changed his statement of guilt, that Zambada Ortiz was taken out of prison by people of the USDOJ.

MCC, located in downtown San Diego, is the same prison where Rodrigo Aréchiga Gamboa, founder of Los Antrax, the armed wing of the Sinaloa Cartel and an old guard of all the sons of Ismael El Mayo Zambada, is being held.

However, for safety reasons, they never held Chino Antrax and Serafín Zambada together, and all that is known is that "it is very possible that Sera has become a witness protected by the agreements made with the USDOJ, to then be taken to a safe house and he only carries a bracelet with a GPS Locator".

No agency of the USDOJ could specify where Zambada Ortiz is: the DEA, BOP, or the US Marshals or FBI, who also failed to establish his whereabouts through the Freedom of Information Act (access to Information Act), arguing that "it would be violating confidentiality agreements that every prisoner has the right to in the United States".

Negotiate: the last alternative

According to Jenia Turner, Professor in law of the Deadman School of Law, in Dallas Texas, agreements made "under the table" by the United States Department of Justice (USDOJ) with people who face criminal charges, are common and occur all the time, especially in cases related to organized crime and drug trafficking.

"In some cases the accused receives full judicial immunity, i.e. not even comes to be sentenced, in exchange for information that helps locate people in your organization, which in many cases is determining to derail the criminal organization," said Turner.

Also added the academic, once people of that organization arearrested, the protected witness is confronted with the accused, and testifies against him. It is part of the agreement that is to a receive lesser sentence, or even total immunity.

It was not the case of El Chino Antrax, who decided to declare war on the United States and to fight his legal status in the courts, and history suggests that eventually Serafin will be confronted at the time with the former head of Los Antrax.

A tenant by the name Seraphim Zambada Ortiz

(BOP Register number 13069-408)

Arrested on November 20, 2013, as he tried to cross into the United States through Nogales Arizona.

Being held in a federal prison in San Diego, the Metropolitan Correctional Center (MCC), and after being presented before the magistrate Crawford Karen of the Southern District of California from the USDOJ, Zambada Ortiz pleaded not guilty to charges of drug trafficking. He changed his statement on 27 September 2014, and accepted guilt on all charges.

He was removed from that prison on July 3, 2014 and taken to an unknown site. In theory, his case only awaits the ruling of the judge, scheduled for next May 22...

http://riodoce.mx/noticias/serafin-no-esta-en-prision-acuerda-eu-con-los-zambada

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

I wrote a few times in comments that one could read between the lines and see whether Sera cooperated….The article may be overstating the case a bit, as he still has to be sentenced…It is likely he is some form of constructive custody, or real custody, assisting investigating agencies with Sinaloa active operations. He may get at least 6 years or something, even after extensive cooperation.

What remains relatively unclear to me, is how these things are taken down south, they are some very polarizing differences between government in Mexico vs. those outside the law, and the same comparison in the US.  Those who operate outside the law in US tend to be much more against the police and the government, in any form….while down south, the lines are blurred, and it is much more of a mutually beneficial relationship, without as much stigma.  The cost of doing business.  Essentially, is he in good standing and graces with his family, and former business associates?  Is some cooperation sanctioned from above?  But, surely the DOJ wants his Dad.  And people who can give them his Dad.

We will see whether Chino really fights to the end, I suspect he will end up in a similar spot….but regarding the appalling and transparent motivations of the government, if they cut deals with everyone….who are they really targeting, and for what reasons?

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

guasa_001
Wow !

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

Was this expected too?

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

La Flama Blanca
If Sera testifies against his dad, do u think Mayo would be okay with that?  A fathers love for his son is one thing, but do you think he would give it all up just so Sera could get out a few years sooner?   I wonder if word was passed up to Mayo, then passed back down to Sera, saying its okay for you to give Intel on me.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

I think it was expected he would walk at his sentencing in May, but it's a little strange they let him go possibly with an ankle bracelet, almost a year early.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

777
 Thanks I rarely read anything Sinaloa related.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

Siskiyou_Kid
What I think is strange is not that is appears they let him walk early due to a payoff, but that the payoff is so ridiculously small, considering the amount of product the feds allege this group moved.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

Moros

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

J, What do you think about the BOP keep Sera separate from Chino for his safety?

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

La Flama Blanca
The article is a little unclear.  Is he free, case closed? Or is he out on a quarter mil bond and due back in court may 22nd 2015/2016???  Like I first mentioned i'm a little confused.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

La cesión de dinero y de bienes forma parte de un acuerdo hecho entre los abogados defensores de Zambada Ortiz, con la fiscalía el Sur de California, en la que el acusado también accede a cooperar con los fiscales para desmantelar la organización que comanda su padre, Ismael el Mayo Zambada, y carearse con otros líderes de la organización del Cártel de Sinaloa, incluyendo a sus líderes.

From what I understand he is free awaiting sentencing... Then it says he has "agreed to help" dismantle his father's cartel.. Then it's followed by Obama spending 80 million on fighting organized crime in Mexico. While Central American countries will receive 1 billion dollars, due to the growing presence of Mexican Cartels.

Chino Antrax has decided to fight it out in court. Serafin might be brought in.. Doesn't exactly say to testify but I guess we all know what that means..

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

I think it's standard procedure, esp. two high profile guys, with separate but linked inducements…divide and conquer, tell Chino Sera's talking, tell Sera the opposite….for safety reasons as well.  Plus, all the variables and possible threats that arise from those 2 on the same tier.

It's clear how Sera handled this, feds broke him easy…Chino is more of a soldier, he came up from the street, he may not break, or more likely it will take longer.

And, I don't believe Sera is free, he is in custody elsewhere, he will likely get some time at his sentencing, in my estimation.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

La Flama Blanca
He must be in wit sec bc why would he not just book it back to Mexico.  He has to have some type of a deal going on/in the making, and and does not want to be wanted in the states, that must be why he is not back in Sinaloa right now as we speak.

Lets just say he jumped ship and said fuck it, and returned to Mexico.  Is he even wanted in Mex?  Would he lose his U.S. citizenship?  Wherever he is, I have a feeling that he is closely being monitored or has some type of very high tech ankle monitoring bracelet on.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

777
Sammy Gravano type of misfortunes? JK. IDK... Is this fairly recent? I'm hoping more details will be released..  ...

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

Put them both together and record them idiots i tell you!EPN strikes san diego for their save the world tour

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

I imagine that he is in custody, but it's probably at a condo with 5 marshals and an ankle bracelet.
JMB

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

JMB
Yes, likely  what they consider a 'good faith' gesture. He has more charges to face. No biggie. Sure, people  expect harsher treatment BUT people have to remember that the US charges only those crimes which transgress it's borders : ie. narcotics trafficking, money laundering. Or something involving US (special) citizens; dignitaries and such.

All their violent acts which happened in Mexico  against Mexican citizens. It would be Mexico’s  job to charge them with those murders, robberies, kidnappings, etc. And if found guilty  dish out the appropriate prison terms.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

Soliado
I highly doubt that the Department of Justice would agree to let this tonto out of prison and allow him to walk the streets of the U.S. while only wearing an ankle bracelet to track his whereabouts. Especially now that the word is out that he is a cooperating witness who is or has provided information about the innerworkings of the cartel, its criminal activity and the people associated. The risk is far too great for the cartel or someone upset with Serafin's cooperation, to sanction his murder and permanently silence him.

Rather, the BOP could have transferred Serafin to another federal or state prison under an assumed identity to await his sentencing or until someone within the DOJ decides that he's no longer of value as a cooperating witness. Another possibility is that he no longer physically occupies a fine suite in a federal prison. Instead, the U.S. Marshall's Service could have him under their protection on a military base, at a safe house, or housed at any number of other locations all the while in the custody of a team of Deputy U.S. Marshalls.

Re: Serafín Zambada Ortiz paid $250,000 and walked free in San Diego

there are 7 protected custody units within the federal prison system, this is where snitches are held.