Saltillo

Hi...

Was just wondering whether anyone has information on the cartel situation in Saltillo, Coahuila? Who runs the show in the city, what organizations are present..etc. Is it safe for people that are not involved?

Saltillo seems to be quieter than other nearby locations. I haven't heard much out of there except the high profile killing of that gringo security guy and that of the journalist a few months back.

Any info at all would be good

Re: Saltillo

Are you are retiree there? Just wondering...

I would think Saltillo is within the current Letra territory, although everything is in a guarded posture and in flux. The areas in contention are more specifically Mtry and Laredo (part of the CDG crown jewels and what the interloper Z's want to take from them). If I were to venture a guess and I ran strategy for CDG, I would not worry about Saltillo just yet. CDG needs to secure Monterrey, Laredo the RGV, and all the communications points south of them (points like Tampico, Veracuz and the Penninsula). You can potentially cede the z's Saltillo, Monclova, Sabinas and Piedras and Acuña; just to shut-em-up (for now). But there's no way the Z's can survive with that; they might as well just give up (remember that they're getting squeezed if they move west by the fight among the Juarezes and Sinaloenses.) This is the z's last play...

Their days are numbered; I think. The Z's are trying to carve out their own piece of the pie off of someone else's plate. Y pues...se vale only if you can backup your play...     It seems like they've been weapon rich and cash poor and is why they had to get into the kidnapping, extortion, and other gutter crimes. Not a good sign...

Another point to remember the strategic partnership they've entered into with the Beltran Leyva Organizations. the BLO has had a bad few months; with what has been happening to their leadership.

All that points to a likely Zetas important but short contribution to Mexican History. Peace will be with us once again, eventually.

Re: Saltillo

No, my mother is a retiree there. I'm just curious as to the situation.

Re: Saltillo

...are there any flights out of Saltillo? I have a work acquaintance that makes a trip from ATX to Monterrey to see his GF and child about every two weekends. He drives to and fro; says everything ok. But I wouldn't travel on the roads if I could avoid it.

Re: Saltillo

surf city
I used to drive the drive from the border to Monterrey or Saltillo.  I stop doing that this past year because of increasing violence and I fly in from Houston connecting into somehwere like Del Rio then on to destination.  My last driving trip to Monterrey was 8 months ago and I was stopped 7 times rnd trip by men in Uniforms at temporary stops.  They never asked for my passport but asked me to leave the vehicle so they can "search" for weapons.  SInce I am an abuela it would be funny if not for the scarey looks and demeanor.  They let me go with a cash "fine" which I could pay them or follow them...I paid.  My car was new and today for sure it would have been jacked.

Saltillo's cartel presense is Zs but quiet at this time.  So I say comparatively safe.  I love the city and the mild weather but I am always on guard, and travel low key.

Re: Saltillo

jeskill
Hey there,

First of all, thank you for all the great information you and borderland beat are providing. I just wanted to know, are there any updates on Saltillo? Is it still relatively quiet? Would it be a relatively-speaking safe city to stop over in before making a border run?

Cheers

Re: Saltillo

buggs
Administrator
Not much in the way of Saltillo recently.
Borderland Beat

Re: Saltillo

carol hammond
just stopped in Saltillo for an overnight on my way to San Miguel de Allende.....very quiet.