Safe to travel to Todos Santos, Guatemala?

Safe to travel to Todos Santos, Guatemala?

lahuasteca
My last trip to Todos Santos, Cuchumatan, Guatemala was November, 2003 where I filmed and photographed the Dia de Todos los Santos celebrations.  When I do this type of ethnographic work, I'm always in the company of a local guide.  I'd like to go back for the November 2012 celebrations.  If this were Dpto. de Solola, I wouldn't hesitate.  But this is Huehuetenango, closer to the border with Mexico.  I know there is a Zeta presence in the Peten and northern Quiche, but Todos Santos?  One of the highlights of the fiesta is horse racing competition sprints by the local jinetes.  Any advice on whether to go or just forget about it?  Thanks.