Remaining Original Zetas (?)

MX

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

MX

I think these are it?

An author named David Marley wrote Mexican Cartels: An Encyclopedia of Mexico's Crime and Drug Wars this year. I initially thought the book was just a re-run of what's already found online, but I've discovered he's done a lot of research. The book is expensive but covers a lot of stuff in great detail.

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

MaxiMillian2k19
So it says that el Lucky could be an El Erotico?
btw was there even Z-13? I know that those low numbers codes began pop out in 2012, for example Z-12, Z-15, Z-12
If I remember there was an Interview of Z-12 on YT published by PGR, where he stated that he worked for Miguel Trevino Morales
I believe that Z-13 was el Mateo

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

The orginal zetas:
Z1-HK13 Arturo Guzman Decena (Army number B-9229817):
Killed Nov 21, 2002

Z2-HK11 Alejandro Lucio Morales Betancourt AKA Beta (Protected Witness "Yeraldin"):
Captured Nov 17, 2001

Z3-HK22 Heriberto Lazcano Lazcano AKA El Lazca (Army number B-9223601):
Killed Oct 7, 2012

Z4 Hugo Ponce Salazar AKA El Rafa:
Captured Sep 6, 2006

Z5-HK20 Luis Alberto Guerrero Reyes AKA El Guerrero:
Killed May 10, 2004

Z6-HK14 Oscar Eduardo Guerrero Silva AKA El Winnie Pooh:
Killed/Suicide Feb 1, 2004
(Some sources refer to him as Z-8)

Z7-HK31 Jesús Enrique Rejón Aguilar AKA El Mamito:
Captured July 4, 2011

Z8-HK37 Omar Lorméndez Pitalua AKA El Pita AKA Mono Tonto AKA El Chavita:
Captured Sep 21, 2005
(Some sources refer to him as Z-9 or Z-10)

Z9-HK24 Raul Alberto Trejo Benavides AKA El Alvin:
Killed May 13, 2002
From Villa Hermosa, Tabasco

Z10-HK40 Mateo Díaz López AKA El Comandante Mateo:
Captured Jul 15, 2006. Sentenced to 20 years Jun 22, 2016
(Some sources refer to him as Z-6)

Z11-HK45 Galdino Mellado Cruz AKA El Mellado:
Killed May 9, 2014, working for the Gulf Cartel
(Some sources refer to him as Z-9)

Z12-HK44 Luis Reyes Enriquez AKA El Rex:
Captured Jun 24, 2007 and released Apr. 17, 2015, rearrested. Killed Nov 2018

Z13-HK10 Ernesto Zataraín Belíz AKA El Traca:
Suicide, Dec 10, 2001
(Some sources refer to him as Z-10)

Z14-HK26 Efraín Teodoro Torres AKA La Efra:
Killed Mar 3, 2007

My list is based upon the testimonies of Betancourt and El Gori, which I consider being first hand, even though it would have been nice to have the actual testimony and not what José Reyez reported in that Contralinea article. Is there any way you could get hold of that original testimony, MX? I mean, Contralinea got it, so it has to be public record. All other book authors I would consider second hand.

Even though Betancourt and Gori might have had other agendas, it is quite clear that these claves mattered in terms of communication, and that is why I think they are first hand valuable sources.

Regarding the 14 so-called originals, it was really a recruitment process, and from what I have read, in the way the zetas considered themselves, they were 7 first, then 14 and then 20 (it is in a commissioned corrido by Beto Quintanilla) and then it spiraled off.
MX

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

MX
Thanks for the info, Max and leChef. And Happy New Year's!

I can try getting a hold of it by submitting a petition via the Ley de Transparencia. Do you know the name of the case or file? They are usually assigned a unique identifier. Another workaround would be to reach out to Reyez, which I can also try to figure out how to do it. Thanks!

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

leChef
Happy new year to the both of you too.

These are various protected witnesses from that first period of Los Zetas, before they split from CDG.

I think Betancourts case was PGR/SIEDO/UEIDCS/111/2003

David AKA Roberto Garcia's case was PGR/SIEDO/UEIDCS/125/2007

This file is referenced to contain testimonies of Rufino, Rafael, Gabriel and Geraldin PGR/SIEDO/UEIDCS/014/2007

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

it took so long for me to get info and it was not so great.  But I heard I was lucky.  I listed my self as a reporter editor for borderland Beat BTW

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

BTW i began a post a while back and it is filled with info gleaned from the two texas zeta trials.  I will upload to my scribd

MX

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

MX
@leChef: Thanks for this. I’ll do some digging when I’m on my laptop and start with the formal request. They take about 2-3 months to answer. I’ll see if I can get Reyez to advise me on how to ask for a request the best way.

@Chivis: I’ve been lucky only with Víctor Manuel Vázquez Míreles and Óscar Malherbe de León. The government confirmed the charges they were sentenced for. But I could not get info on other drugs lords I’ve requested, like Adan Medrano Rodríguez, José Manuel Garza Rendón, and others. Currently waiting on Don Zefe’s.

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

also Z10 comandante Mateo was a PW

and after the split mamito Z8 obviously became a protected witness after his austin tesimony.  which was incredible---along with his attitude.  he made it known how he felt about being a witness. but alas he struck the deal.  I think if he and 40 had not had the falling out mamito would not have given up info like he did.

To me he is one of the most interesting Zs

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

good luck---you are a great researcher

MX

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

MX
This post was updated on .
@Chivis: Thank you for your kind words.

I've emailed you the PDF from the Ley de Transparencia confirming Victor Manuel Vazquez Mireles's sentence, should you want to include it in your Scribd. I'll send over Malherbe's sentence from the PGR once I find it.

UPDATE: Just sent you Malherbe's PDF too.

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

Thank you!

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

juris
  What was Mamito sentenced to?

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

Nutcase
This post was updated on .
I have a question about the Zeta Reynosa plaza boss Sergio Pena Mendoza AKA El Concorde who supposedly was murdered to start the war between the Gulf Cartel and Los Zetas when M3 allegedly had him executed. In all the info I was able to research, El Concorde and Concorde 3 have the same name. Sergio Pena Mendoza. Does anybody really know if there was multiple Concorde's or If He was Z40's  friend or accountant?..
Seeing is believing

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

@Chivis: I agree that Mamito is one of the more interesting characters. He seems very pragmatic. I can't wait for your story

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

@Nuts:

These are my notes:

Sergio Peña Mendoza AKA Sergio Peña Solis AKA El Concord (Arrested Mar. 14, 2009)

Saul Peña Mendoza AKA Concord 2 (Killed 2010)

Victor Peña Mendoza AKA El Concord 3 (Killed Jan. 18, 2010, allegedly by Metro 3)

MX

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

MX
Damn, leChef. Thanks for sharing. How do you keep yourself organized with info? Do you keep a master doc where you have all Mexican cartel info you’ve gathered?

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

leChef
It started slow, but now it is a pretty long, yet simple notepad document on the Gulf Cartel, with a complementary photo archive. The next step is to log networks on social media, but what I really am hoping to do, is to log economical networks around the players, but my Spanish and knowledge does not allow that just yet. Follow the money, is always the credo, right?

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

Freebird
Very valid point. As a casual reader I would like to thank you for your time and contributions. Very impressive!
MX

Re: Remaining Original Zetas (?)

MX
Great! Do you happen to have a picture of Ángel Salvador Gómez Herrera (El Chava)? I want to visit archives in print to see if I can find anything.
123456