[AN OLD IMAGE OF RAFAEL, THAT WON'T MAKE IT TO RARE NARCOS PHOTOS OR DANCING WITH THE STARS. HIS PLASTIC SURGERY CANNOT COMPETE WITH "EL SENOR". KIND'VE REMINDS ME OF THE LAWYER ON THE BILLBOARD . . CHASING AMBULANCES, WELL BEYOND HIS YEARS. ANYWAY HE CLAIMS HE IS INSOVLENT]
Rafael Caro Quintero assures that he has no money. Lawyers for Rafael Caro Quintero, historical leader of drug trafficking in Mexico, submitted a brief to the First Collegiate Criminal Court in Mexico City, May 26, 2020.
Mexico City, Mexico - RCQ informed the federal justice system that today he is economically insolvent.
In a brief presented last Friday to the First Collegiate Criminal Court in Mexico City, the Sinaloa capo stated that his situation has been complicated because, as a fugitive from the justice system and in his sixties, he does not have the opportunity to work and generate an entry into the workforce.
The named appellant alleges insolvency because he claims to be over 60 years of age, not to be pensioned or retired, and as a notorious fact he claims to be removed from the action of justice, which prevents him, he says, from working or carrying out any activity for the one that can acquire economic resources, says an agreement published this Tuesday by the court.
Case 'Kiki' Camarena could reopen to 35 years. This is one of the two promotions that Caro Quintero submitted electronically to the college, in the amparo under review against the provisional arrest warrant for extradition to the United States for the murder of DEA agent Enrique Camarena Salazar, in 1985.
According to reports from the Federal Judicial Branch, this statement about his lack of resources was made so that the court does not impose the payment of a guarantee.
In the letter with a scanned autograph signature, the capo requested to recuse Magistrate Juan Jose Olvera Lopez from the vote on his protection, although in the agreement published this Tuesday by the court, the reasons are not clarified.
In the other promotion, he also asks to postpone, until after the health emergency for Covid-19 has ended and once judicial activities have normalized, the session in which his appeal for review will be voted.
The collegiate agreed to reserve the process of the recusal of Judge Olvera until the Federal Judicial council determines that the jurisdictional activities will return to normal.
On August 9, 2013, after 28 years of being in prison, Caro Quintero left the Jalisco State Prison, after his 40 year prison sentence for the Camarena murder was canceled, because a court considered that the case should have been tried in the common jurisdiction and not in the federal one.
Two days later, the then Sixth District Judge in Federal Criminal Proceedings, Alejandro Caballero Vertiz, ordered his provisional arrest for the purpose of extradition to the United States, in order to try him for the crime of the agent.
The Americans intend to take him to the Federal Court of the Central District of California, in Los Angeles, to try him on eight criminal charges, including murder, which can be punished even with the death penalty.
On January 22, 2015, a Jalisco court revoked the liberty of the capo, ordered his re-apprehension for the crime of Camarena and again imposed a sentence of 40 years in prison that had been canceled in 2013. Since then, Caro Quintero has had two commandments judicial against him.
[TODAY I DROVE UP TO A STOPLIGHT. THERE APPEARED TO BE HIS GUY THAT LOOKED JUST LIKE RCQ. HE HELD UP A SIGN THAT HE NEEDED MONEY. I ASKED HIM WHY HE DIDN'T HAVE A JOB AND HE SAID HE HAD BEEN SCREWED THE US GOV'T. I ASKED HIM, "DIDN'T YOUR NEPHEW, JUST GET CONVICTED FOR DRUG DEALING, AND SURELY HE COULD HELP FEED YOU". HIS REPLY, HE'S AN ASSHOLE AND ONLY THINKS ABOUT HIMSELF]
US prosectors however, have placed him near the top of a drug trafficking conspiracy that traffics through Southern California and Arizona points of entry, all the way to New York, and involves subsets of the Beltran Leyva DTO, the CJNG, and Sinaloa traffickers.