RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

added at end tips and links

Since we have been speaking about mexico and safe places to visIt I saw this timely article in the SF CHRON....I have posted pics of a very few of the places, some of my personal favorites...Chivis

Daily headlines about shootouts, mass graves and beheadings have put one question ahead of all others for travelers considering a trip to Mexico: Will I be safe?

The short answer is yes, if you choose your destination wisely.              (foto on right is of san cristobal)

In the escalating violence that has racked Mexico since President Felipe Calderon launched an offensive against the country's drug-trafficking organizations in December 2006, the Baja peninsula hit the no-go list early on because Tijuana was the first flash point. U.S. tourists have avoided the entire peninsula in droves.  (FOTO OF SUMIDERO CANYON FAR LEFT  AND PALENQUE TO ITS RIGHT)

In fact, Baja California Sur has never seen the violence that shook its northern neighbor, in a region 900 miles distant. You are twice as likely to be murdered in Alta California as in Baja California Sur. What the sensational headlines don't tell you is that much of Mexico is just as safe as your own backyard.

The common wisdom about sticking to tourist destinations, though, has been undermined in the past year by drug-related shootouts in Acapulco, a hand grenade in a popular nightclub in a wealthy Guadalajara neighborhood and muggings and shootings near Mazatlan's cruise port. The violence has moved closer to tourists, which is unnerving at best and dangerous at worst

The targets are still rival cartel members, government authorities and journalists. Drug traffickers would prefer to avoid the heat that comes with incurring the wrath of the United States or disrupting the tourist industry, because it interferes with their bottom line. The organizations have come down hard on members who commit indiscriminate and widely publicized acts of violence such as the Falcon Lake shooting and disappearance of U.S. citizen David Hartley in September.

So why is the violence creeping closer to tourists now? The reasons are many and complex, but boil down to a perhaps inevitable progression of turmoil within the country's drug-trafficking network that has been simmering for more than a decade.

The drug gangs are not targeting tourists now any more than they ever were. And despite headlines that make it sound as if the entire country were in flames, the spectacularly grisly violence that feeds the country's death toll takes place primarily in nine of Mexico's 31 states (32 including the Federal District).

In January, the Mexican government released the first comprehensive database of drug-related deaths. In addition to the alarming numbers in those states - 2010 murder rates ranging from 40 to 297.5 deaths per 100,000 population in states along the U.S. border and those where marijuana and heroin are produced - much of the country has modest homicide rates.

The deadliest states are Chihuahua, Sinaloa, Durango, Guerrero, Baja California (Norte), Sonora, Tamaulipas, Nayarit and Michoacan. Elsewhere, it's a more palatable rate of 1 to 29 per 100,000. Mexico City's drug-related homicide rate, for example, was 7.4 per 100,000. To put it into perspective, Washington, D.C.'s homicide rate was 24 (down from 31.5 in 2009). California's rate for 2009, the latest year for which the FBI's Uniform Crime Report is available, was 5.3; the U.S. national average was 5.0.

If you're looking for the safest places in Mexico, Yucatan and Tlaxcala states had less than 1.5 deaths per 100,000 population in 2010 - comparable to Minnesota and Vermont.
(CABO SAN LUCAS ON LEFT OF BAJA CALIFORNIA SUR)

Puebla, Queretaro, Baja California Sur, Campeche, Veracruz, Hidalgo, Chiapas, San Luis Potosi, the Federal District (Mexico City), Tabasco, Zacatecas and Guanajuato also recorded single-digit rates.

That's a whole lot of Mexico.

 (FOTO BELOW IS THE LAKE OF THE SEVEN COLORS LAGO BACALAR)

TIPS, COMMON SENSE THINGS TO KNOW AND REMEMBER AND MANY LINKS TO ACCESS:

U.S. citizens traveling by road to and from the U.S. border through Nuevo Leon, Coahuila, Durango, and Sinaloa should be especially vigilant. Criminals appear to especially target SUVs and full-size pick-up trucks for theft and car-jacking along these routes.

U.S. citizens should make every attempt to travel on main roads during daylight hours, particularly the toll ("cuota") roads, which generally are more secure. When warranted, the U.S. Embassy and consulates advise their employees as well as private U.S. citizens to avoid certain areas, abstain from driving on certain roads because of dangerous conditions or criminal activity, or recommend driving during daylight hours only. When this happens, the Embassy or the affected consulate will alert the local U.S. citizen Warden network and post the information on their respective websites, indicating the nature of the concern and the expected time period for which the restriction will remain in place.
U.S. citizen visitors are encouraged to stay in the well-known tourist areas. Travelers should leave their itinerary with a friend or family member not traveling with them, avoid traveling alone, and check with their cellular provider prior to departure to confirm that their cell phone is capable of roaming on GSM or 3G international networks. Cell phone coverage in isolated parts of Mexico, for example, the Copper Canyon, is spotty or non-existent.
Do not display expensive-looking jewelry, large amounts of money, or other valuable items. Travelers to remote or isolated venues should be aware that they may be distant from appropriate medical, law enforcement, and consular services in an emergency situation.
U.S. citizens applying for passports or requesting other fee-based services from consulates or the Embassy are encouraged to make arrangements to pay for those services using a non-cash method. U.S. citizens should be alert for credit card fraud, especially outside major commercial establishments.
American employees of the U.S. Embassy are prohibited from hailing taxis on the street in Mexico City because of frequent robberies. American citizens are urged to only use taxis associated with the organized taxi stands (“sitios”) that are common throughout Mexico.
U.S. citizens should be alert to pickpockets and general street crime throughout Mexico, but especially in large cities. Between FY 2006 and FY 2009 the number of U.S. passports reported stolen in Mexico rose from 184 to 288.

HERE ARE SOME LINKS:

A GREAT SHORT VIDEO EXPLAINING ADVISORY VS WARNINGS AND TRAVEL TIPS: http://www.petergreenberg.com/b/State-Department-Travel-Alerts-Versus-Travel-Warnings/149989776322170668.html

HELP AND CONTACT INFO WHILE TRAVELLING IN MX:

help and contacts
http://travel.state.gov/about/contact/contact_4745.html

LINKS FOR TIPS, WARNINGS AND ADVISORY:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html
https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/
http://www.sedena.gob.mx/
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35749.htm
http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Travel/International.shtml
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/spring_break_mexico/spring_break_mexico_5014.html
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/mazatlan-mexico-safe-tourists-16143.html

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

safemex

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

  You say you live in Mx, can't be truw, or you would know the truth.  THE ENTIRE knowledgable world knows that Mexico's violence is confined to 1/3 of the country...why? MOC has no use for the other states, concentration is on the plazas, routes that transport drugs.  Logic.  reality.

The issues in Mx are fluid.  However they have not changed as far as which states have notable violence.  I know you said "WHAT TOOK THE STATE DEPT SO LONG" to issue its warning...but they have issues VERY liberal warnings for 3 years.  Updating every quarter or when needed.  Recently Rocky Point and Nogales was added which in the opinion of everyone was unfounded, but that is how strict they are.
I constantly search: stae Department (travel memo-warden memos etc) DOJ, DEA, US Consulate (where I am traveling specifically anyone can call the office) UN report, world travel watch etc.

Keep an open mind or you will never accept or learn truth.  You stick to your conservative blogs and and no matter who says it or how knowledgeable you reject what is said.

PLEASE stay off my post:  -Allseeing1/cathoundtex- I asked you politely, you don't value my information, so why bother.  thank you

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

Bones
Buela, I know you mean well, but I think it would be safer to avoid visiting Mexico in general. Mexico is experiencing a systematic breakdown. The way you talk about Baja California Sur, is the same way that people spoke about Acapulco and Guadalajara. Everywhere in Mexico was safe at one point...until I open BB one day, and see an article about a headless body, or nightclub shooting. I dont want to be in one of the aforementioned "safe" areas on the day some independent cell decides to shake down my hotel. Yes, you could potentially fly directly into and directly out of the areas who arent affected. But if you have a wife and kids at home, i'd really think long and hard about how bad you need to visit mexico right now.

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

Thanks for being respectful...but I did not write the article and I have been the go to person knowledgable in safe places.  One can say the same about the US.  cities like detroit would I go there no dead is dead.  One cannot discount an entire country, but its a choice.  I would go anywhere in Mx in Juarez for my work, but I would have a heart attack if my children would entertain the thought of going there.  Cabo is violence free.  necause narcos have no use for it.  other wise it would be the same.  theat is the key..acapulo makes sense that one day it would have violence in fighting for the terrirtory look at the map, the bigger question is what took it so long?  same with my city in coahuila I know violence will come, probably this year, it is logical.  I have been saying that for a year.  My friends smile, because the town is so peaceful, I say look at the map, peace is not forever. and guess what?  it is now among the cities to avoid.  yet no violence has occured.  Why?  because it is logical.

it is not about meaning well.  It is about being factual.  Educated to what the truth is.  and it is ignorant to stay away from mexico because of 33% of the country in defined areas have violence.  If a person prefers not to, so be it, but that is not accepting the truth.  Chicken little syndrome.  The places I have mentioned I would happily see my children and family and friend sgo to and they do.  beautiful cultural historical places.

Ignore what all the experts say?  thats fine, but it is what exists.  instead of saying "it is best to stay away" those are your words...show me how you got to that assumption?  show me the data to support your claim.

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

PS...Bones I forgot to say.  More than one year ago I began warning folks not to go to Aca.
BEFORE the big violence.  I knew there would be an out break.  it was logically because of the territory and instability of cartels.

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

safemex

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

kylesam
@Bones
I found your problem when you said, "until I open BB one day," when you get all your information from BB on Mexico its sad, so would you have thought differently if you didn't read BB? We you see violence, hear violence, all your going to believe is that violence exist and that is not the case. Buela has posted many articles regarding this subject plenty of times, but some people are just so hard headed to believe that she is actually telling the truth, I live here and what BB or blog de narco presents is an injustice to the rest of Mexico!! They fail to tell you what Buela is telling you right now!! I wonder why?

@Cathoundtex

If anyone is smoking that crack-pipe its obviously you!!! You need to hit reality because she is telling the truth moron!!

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

safemex

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

My city in So Cal just had four murders in one day!!!  OMG!!!  It is a worldwide tourist destination.  Perhaps they should stay away?  And not investigate further...It has been deemed the safest city of american by the FBI.  and on the top 20 safest 4 times the top 10 three.  The murders?  From another county, husband kills wife, son and self at the beach.  One must take everything in account.  and Guanajuato is safe.  Was a tourist killed?  is the murder per capita rate over 5?    So where are your links to all these facts?

"YOU THINK" they had a "BIG "shootout?  JAJAJAJA    Want to debate.  ok...lets go.  get your PROOF, and FACTS and DATA and lets go.

Kab

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

Kab
I agree with Buela, and I can give you first hand experience from my family and people I know from Mexico that the media exaggerates the violence.

You guys need to take your info with a grain of salt.

For example, my family recently traveled to Guanjuato, and they told me they saw nothing wrong.  Naturally, I was extremely worried about their safety because I kept reading about the violence and what not, and I specifically told my brother, a pot smoker like me, not to get involved with any drugs over there just to be safe.  Plus the weed in Mexico sucks.  They had the opportunity to travel to multiple cities in Guanajuato, and my brother spent a week en el D.F. with some other family.  That family in Mexico City also tell me it's not as bad as the media puts it.

Also, one of my customers where I work at recently took a trip to Michoacan.  He also told me that things were good, he had a great time, and he saw nothing wrong either.  Another example, I play on xbox live with some people from Guadalajara, Jalisco, and they always joke about the violence that's going on.  They told me everything is fine, just a few grenades here and there, but that the media exaggerates the violence in Mexico.

That does mean I will take a trip in Tamualipas in the middle of the night?  Or go to some sketchy bar in some bordertown?  Fuck that, it's stupid decisions like that that will get you killed.  Just use your head people, if you bring attention to your self, especially in hot areas, then you'll greatly increase your likelihood of getting hurt or worse killed.  If you stick to safe areas, keep it cool, and just be a tourist to enjoy yourself, then chances of anything happening to you are almost none existent.

Also, seems like allseeingI will be the next Swanka/Goat.  He really is getting annoying now.

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

curioso
Buela is exactly right. Many places in Mexico are perfectly safe. I live in Mexico, in a city that borders the US and I feel perfectly safe. I travel out every day to and from work and go shopping and whatnot without problems for 3 years now. My wife has family that visits us from Monterrey and Monclova  regularly and they never have issues.
People read all these articles here and think every inch of Mexico has bullets flying and it's just not like that.

Oh, I should mention also that I am American (white).
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

Exactly KS...I thought the same but he was polite so I did not want to pile on.  Polite works.
But Bones, no wonder you are scared of Mexico, if your info is from Narco blogs.

I love forum for the ability to discuss socio-political-and human interest issues.  Mainboard is all narco.  It is what Jeffe wants and that is what Jeffe will get.  But it is why I stay here so I can bring this information.  I don't take any information/questions lightly its a responsibility when you say something is safe.  I always say that the situation is so fluid, so one must check with the state department and Consulate just before departure.  ANother great source is social networks word from the ground, pretty much the frontrunners for information such as rumors, and outbreaks giving specifics  not just MTY but exactly where and what.  It is how Mx stay safe in cities of great violence.  those who can afford a data cell or computer do this.  and it works for travellers.  But that is in the states of violence. aways travel with a cell with data capabilties.  Becareful of things such as which taxis to take.

Right now I have received a private email from Canada, Italy and US wanting info on certain areas.  Italy has two medical student sons wanting to go to chiapas for a month to volunteer, the father asks me for information on safety...happy to oblidge and say it is safe.  when i determine safe, it is from info, projections.  yes there may have been some fleeting violence in a given city but considered in the low or ave crimes per capita in comparison of the US.  the places I recommend are lower than US.  Canada want to go to a place I warned not to, but I am sending them an alternate route.  US has no problems going to my state IN THE CITY they have designated.

As for SC-BC  cabo etc.  they are incredibley safe, lower than just about any place in the US.  I will go out on a limb and say this.  I base this on NO date or official information, just by studying map routes and changing logistic and dynamics of the cartels.  Cabo may become important in the future.  It is a long shot, and I hestiate putting it out there.  but cartel traffic routes used to be around CA.  now it goes right thru, so the west coast of mx mainland becomes so important, like Aca.  routes have adjusted, and a live Helen Keller could have called that one.

Cartels Narco-Subs are now capable of total submergent.  I will post a story about why I think this and put the idea out there but if PC route becomes viable and important we will see Cabo being compromised.

Now mind you...I have not read that ANYWHERE, and it may be delusional like (Allblind 1)  but it is an outside possibilty.  Cartels WILL move to CA as far as headquaters.  because they can control they entire invironment political-police-etc they can build factories for piracy there without the pesty feds coming in and bulldozing 240M of product as happen to the last letter last week.  when that happens that is when cabo may be compromised.  But as I said just a hunch, and it is not reality and bottom line?  Huge violence NEVER happens overnight.  One does not fly into a safe city one day and the city is on fire when the awaken.  An take responsibilty don't wait for governemnt warnings and then say "It's about time" be proactive.

WAIT I JUST THE STATE DEPARTMENT HAS IN FACT ISSUED A DANGER WARING FOR CABO!!!!!
HERE IT IS:

Cabo San Lucas:  Beaches on the Pacific side of the Baja California Peninsula at Cabo San Lucas are dangerous due to rip tides and rogue waves; hazardous beaches in this area are clearly marked in English and Spanish.

A GREAT SHORT VIDEO EXPLAINING ADVISORY VS WARNINGS AND TRAVEL TIPS:

http://www.petergreenberg.com/b/State-Department-Travel-Alerts-Versus-Travel-Warnings/149989776322170668.html

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/safety/safety_1747.html
http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html
https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/
http://www.sedena.gob.mx/
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5440.html
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35749.htm
http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Travel/International.shtml
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/spring_break_mexico/spring_break_mexico_5014.html
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/mazatlan-mexico-safe-tourists-16143.html

Re: RISK IN VISITING MX IS LOW...IF YOU SELECT CAREFULLY..2/3 MX VERY SAFE

I JUST POSTED A TON OF LINKS AND CHECK OUT THE VIDEO LINK IT IS SHORT AND SWEET TO THE POINT