Questions about Serafin Zambada's case

El_Huevon
1. Does the US government have any hard evidence (dates, times, details of crimes committed) against Serafin or is it largely circumstantial evidence based on photos of drugs on his social media accounts?

2. Has the US government continually postponed Serafin's trial as a tactic in order to scare him into becoming an informant? Is this in violation of the 6th Amendment?

"The Speedy Trial Clause of the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "[i]n all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy . . . trial . . . ."[1] The Clause protects the defendant from delay between the presentation of the indictment or similar charging instrument and the beginning of trial."

Re: Questions about Serafin Zambada's case

Siskiyou_Kid
Sera already cooperated and has a plea deal.

Re: Questions about Serafin Zambada's case

El_Huevon
^ I know. But if he hadn't cooperated would he be looking at hard time? were these largely trumped up charges?

on a separate note if my dad was Chapo Guzman and I was a US Citizen could I be tried under the Kingpin act if the US government could prove I had contact with him?

Re: Questions about Serafin Zambada's case

El_Huevon
what am I supposed to do turn in my dad to the DEA the moment I see him?

Re: Questions about Serafin Zambada's case

Most defendants wave their right to a speedy trial in order to either give their attorney time to prepare their defense or to wait out a deal.

In rare cases where the defense has already prepared what they feel is a strong case, they will refuse to wave the right to a speedy trial.

Simply having contact with a wanted individual is not reason enough to charge a person, unless they are aiding that person or are a co-conspirator.

Re: Questions about Serafin Zambada's case

El_Huevon
^ thanks. So you don't think that the various delays in the trial was a tactic by the US government?

Re: Questions about Serafin Zambada's case

Nuttz

Re: Questions about Serafin Zambada's case

ArmChairIntellect
From what I have understood the investigation took place over many years, utilizing wiretaps, informants (the twins and others) to set up deals that they then seized after they were transported into the US.  Not sure what else they had but this was a long time coming, interesting the conclusion but none the less, something that was inevitable.  We can also assume that at the very least CDS provided the US government with information on other cartels.